Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-19, 10:46 AM   #1
Mowgli
Sparks

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 0
Support Torpedoes in WOS

I have had several dud torpedoes both electric and steam and have been increasing my torpedo man's skills to compensate.

My 1st question is, do they become more reliable as the war progresses?

In SH3 I liked to use torpedoes set to magnetic and set the depth just beneath the targets depth and so it made little difference to the angle of attack so long as the torpedo passed under the target and it was a very good tactic.

So my 2nd Question is this. Does this work in SH5 as I have tried several times and the torpedoes just pass under the vessel and carry on their merry way.

3rd and final question. Should I be using magnetic or impact setting?

Thanks in advance.
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 11:11 AM   #2
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
I have had several dud torpedoes both electric and steam and have been increasing my torpedo man's skills to compensate.
That wont help much. The torpedoman's ability to effect "dud" percentage is quite unrealistic IMO and therefore it has been heavily reduced.

Quote:
My 1st question is, do they become more reliable as the war progresses?
Yes...

Quote:
In SH3 I liked to use torpedoes set to magnetic and set the depth just beneath the targets depth and so it made little difference to the angle of attack so long as the torpedo passed under the target and it was a very good tactic.

So my 2nd Question is this. Does this work in SH5 as I have tried several times and the torpedoes just pass under the vessel and carry on their merry way.
Yes, but try to use magnetic detonators only in calm seas because premature detonation chances will grow exponentially with wind speeds. Setting torpedo deeper and 24kn speed settings may help in this case.
Regarding torpedo depth settings... It's always better not to set torpedo depth more than ~0.5 m of designated ships draught because depths in TWoS are slightly randomized in order to simulate real life torpedo and ships behavior. Also, are you completely sure that those draught values from recognition manual are 100% correct?

Quote:
3rd and final question. Should I be using magnetic or impact setting?
Impact of course, at least in the early stages of war...It is very well known fact that magnetic detonators were really unreliable and TWoS simulates this very well, regardless of what people have learned and experienced in SH3...

Don't forget that impact detonators require sharp impact angle in both horizontal and vertical plane.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 11:13 AM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

There are a few factors with torpedoes:

A) Weather. If the weather is bad, you must set torpedo depth correctly.

B) Torpedoman. Yes, to upgrade him helps, but only by small percentages.

C) Fact. Torpedoes were terrible in all theatres of the war. They did get better, but problems never went away. From 39’ to early 41’ don’t expect much.

Section A is usually the biggest issue for problem torps. Practice.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 04:14 PM   #4
AP514
Gunner

Downloads: 6
gear

Weather and TP depth.
A few Videos out there about this...

In Simple Terms the higher the wind speed the more chance for DUDs.

here is a Thread I started not long ago about this same thing..
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=241132

Post 2..check out Video..TP DEPTH STTTINGS

Videos a Great source for learning
AP514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-19, 01:52 PM   #5
Fidgety
Mate

Downloads: 33

I have a question relating to this subject.

It has been stated both on this forum and in tutorials that I have read in regards to torpedoes set on the impact trigger. That you should avoid letting the gyro angle go above 30 degrees. I am assuming technically that it is actually more the track angle that matters but gyro would be same when setting the tdc. I have had a couple of experiences where the torpedo has failed with the "the torpedo is a dud sir" getting announced. The reason I ask is I'm wondering if this is what gets said when the torpedo fails due to your track angle being too severe. Or does something else get said if that happens like maybe torpedo missed sir. Like the torpedo isnt a dud you just messed the track angle up. I've had it say dud when im pretty sure the track angle was close to 30 degrees.
Fidgety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-19, 04:28 PM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Unaware if it's historically accurate or not, I have good experience with:

- If I cannot fire at 90° angle or very close, I chose magnetic
- In bad weather I never chose magnetic (premature explosions)
- in bad weather I set the depth of torpedos higher than usual.
- Longer than 2000m it's just gambling using Steam torpedos, they can be evaded easily.
- I avoid making my torpedo turn more than 10° when leaving tube.

In point 3: yes, higher and not lower! For some reasons I get a much better hit rate in SH5.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-17-19 at 04:37 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-19, 06:11 PM   #7
Fidgety
Mate

Downloads: 33

Yeah I do all that already, what I need to know is if the crew member says torpedo is a dud sir when it fails due to track angle or if they say something different like torpedo missed sir.

It doesnt matter, I will figure it out myself as I accumulate more failures over time. Only reason I asked is because I dont get much failures so its going to take some time unless I load up a historical mission and repeatedly test which I dont have time for. My limited game time in a week I can actually play SH I want to play campaign. Lol most of the time I write on this forum I should be working

Thanks anyway
Fidgety is offline   Reply With Quote