SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-29-07, 01:08 PM   #61
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini
Hi Racerboy,

First of all thanks for this great add on for Sh3!
I like much eye candy and effects...adds imersion and the game becomes more fun and less boring (SH3 is a tooooo long game ).

Some feed back...
Two things that i don't liked (it's only my taste, not a criticism , ok? ): smoke from ships are too "light" and slim sometimes. And I also prefer the stock depth charge splash detonation above water. That is ok, I already changed these two textures in my installation and all goes well.

But...when I was looking for the above water depth charge detonation splash I opened your materials.dat with the TT tools (the one that we use to look at the textures inside .dat files) and noticed that several textures are now just a small square of a tiny gray/white without alpha channel. Then I just used the old stock textures for the depth charge splashes and the effects becomes good (better) than the one using your materials.dat (version 2.01).
Well, to finish: could be this an error with the textures on your file or I'm missing something??:hmm:

Regards,

Rubini.
If you would like, send me your files that you have changed or would like changed and I will evalute them. If they prove to provide better effects then I will incorporate them.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 01:18 PM   #62
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerboy
Quote:
Hi Racerboy,

First of all thanks for this great add on for Sh3!
I like much eye candy and effects...adds imersion and the game becomes more fun and less boring (SH3 is a tooooo long game ).

Some feed back...
Two things that i don't liked (it's only my taste, not a criticism , ok? ): smoke from ships are too "light" and slim sometimes. And I also prefer the stock depth charge splash detonation above water. That is ok, I already changed these two textures in my installation and all goes well.

But...when I was looking for the above water depth charge detonation splash I opened your materials.dat with the TT tools (the one that we use to look at the textures inside .dat files) and noticed that several textures are now just a small square of a tiny gray/white without alpha channel. Then I just used the old stock textures for the depth charge splashes and the effects becomes good (better) than the one using your materials.dat (version 2.01).
Well, to finish: could be this an error with the textures on your file or I'm missing something??:hmm:

Regards,

Rubini.
If you would like, send me your files that you have changed or would like changed and I will evalute them. If they prove to provide better effects then I will incorporate them.
Thanks for the offer RB!
But isn't the case. I just used the stock textures for depth charge detonation splash and another smoke texture that isn't mine.

My main question is about the absence of the alpha channel for some textures making them all the same - same color and same size - (several ones) on your material .dat. My concern is that this could be a bug that you didn't noticed.:hmm:

As I said, at least the depth charges detonations are very better (IMHO) using the stock textures just because the ones on your files are (i think ) broken.

Take a look on then using any file that can open textures on the material.dat file.
Old 10-29-07, 01:26 PM   #63
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
My main question is about the absence of the alpha channel for some textures making them all the same - same color and same size - (several ones) on your material .dat. My concern is that this could be a bug that you didn't noticed.:hmm:

As I said, at least the depth charges detonations are very better (IMHO) using the stock textures just because the ones on your files are (i think ) broken.

Take a look on then using any file that can open textures on the material.dat file.
Are you referring to the TGAs packed into the materials.dat file or the ones in \data\Textures\Tnormal\tex?
It's possible that I may have forgotten some Alpha channels. If you can, and don't mind, would you like to make me a list of which TGAs are in question by you?
Old 10-29-07, 01:33 PM   #64
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Quote:

Are you referring to the TGAs packed into the materials.dat file or the ones in \data\Textures\Tnormal\tex?
It's possible that I may have forgotten some Alpha channels. If you can, and don't mind, would you like to make me a list of which TGAs are in question by you?
Of course! I'm at my work, so I will make the list a bit slowly!

And, yes, I obviously noticed that some textures that have this described problem (and others not) are in the texture folder, so no problems with them, because the game uses that ones (on the texture folder ) prior the ones on the files. Then the list will have only the ones that i noticed the problem and aren't on the texture folder, ok?
Just some minutes...
Old 10-29-07, 01:37 PM   #65
tommyk
Watch Officer

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siara
Gonna loose the torps really quick i think , and put ahead flank to Lorient to test this mod.
I installed mid-campaign and it works just fine!
Old 10-29-07, 01:59 PM   #66
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Hi RB!
I was really quick on this!
Here the list from your Material.dat V2.021:

-These ones don't have alpha channel and also are now only a
tiny white image:
bubble_01, 02
bubbles_01, 02
casca1.tga ==> this one even don't open with Gimp.
ciob_add.tga
cloud_w_small_spots.tga
expl_hallo.tga
paraluie.tga
all pierreE*.tga
Smoke_volum02 and smoke_volum.tga
all splash*.tga (except splash_vert_add.tga only not have
alpha channel)
all twirl_soft*.tga
waterspray.tga

-Some others only don't have alpha channel (take a carefull look at all them)

-These ones have the same above problem but are also on the
texture folder, so no problems in the end:
cloud_w_small_spots.tga
paraluie.tga
some of pierreE*.tga

Notice that the textures from depth charges detonation splashes are in this list above. This is how and why I found this problem.

Hopes that this could help you!
Old 10-29-07, 02:05 PM   #67
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Hi RB!
I was really quick on this!
Here the list from your Material.dat V2.021:

-These ones don't have alpha channel and also are now only a
tiny white image:
bubble_01, 02
bubbles_01, 02
casca1.tga ==> this one even don't open with Gimp.
ciob_add.tga
cloud_w_small_spots.tga
expl_hallo.tga
paraluie.tga
all pierreE*.tga
all splash*.tga (except splash_vert_add.tga only not have
alpha channel)
all twirl_soft*.tga
waterspray.tga

-Some others only don't have alpha channel (take a carefull look at all them)

-These ones have the same above problem but are also on the
texture folder, so no problems in the end:
cloud_w_small_spots.tga
paraluie.tga
some of pierreE*.tga

Notice that the textures from depth charges detonation splashes are in this list above. This is how and why I found this problem.

Hopes that this could help you!
thank you sir! I will look into this.
Old 10-29-07, 02:29 PM   #68
slow_n_ez
Officer

Downloads: 0

Thanks for fixing the flare problem.. all is working great now ... You can really see those flares from a long ways off at night

About the anchored stationary ships at a harbor ...... some ships always keep their boilers fired up and running for power other than just engine power ...... I see anchored ships here all the time puffing a trail of smoke out of their stacks ... probably for lights and other electrical power stuff.....

ps... great job on the hydaphone sounds too
slow_n_ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 02:35 PM   #69
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_n_ez
Thanks for fixing the flare problem.. all is working great now ... You can really see those flares from a long ways off at night

your welcome! Glad to see you're enjoying it

About the anchored stationary ships at a harbor ...... some ships always keep their boilers fired up and running for power other than just engine power ...... I see anchored ships here all the time puffing a trail of smoke out of their stacks ... probably for lights and other electrical power stuff.....

very true.....

that thanks needs to go to Hawk U-375, he did the underwater effects for the sounds I needed. I just made them come to life....
see above in yellow.
Old 10-29-07, 02:47 PM   #70
slow_n_ez
Officer

Quote:
Quote:

that thanks needs to go to Hawk U-375, he did the underwater effects for the sounds I needed. I just made them come to life....
Ok.. thanks Hawk U-375 ... GREAT job You made it alot more realistic that what it was .... Kinda actually suprized me to really hear the torpedo hits plus the aftermath of it .....
slow_n_ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 02:49 PM   #71
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok.. thanks Hawk U-375 ... GREAT job You made it alot more realistic that what it was .... Kinda actually suprized me to really hear the torpedo hits plus the aftermath of it .....
been in any storms yet? Have you heard the thunder on the hydrophone?
Old 10-29-07, 03:04 PM   #72
U49
Grey Wolf

Whow!

i just made an underwater attack against a medium freighter.

It made me WHOW!

I heard the torpedo running, I heard the impact, and in the external camera i see a fire burning on his deck and see and hear an occasional explosion
Realism: 90%
U49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 03:11 PM   #73
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by U49
i just made an underwater attack against a medium freighter.

It made me WHOW!

I heard the torpedo running, I heard the impact, and in the external camera i see a fire burning on his deck and see and hear an occasional explosion
torpedo running is stock, hearing the impact is from stock, hearing the fire burning on the hydrophone (if you're close enough) is my addition, hearing the occassional explosions and debris splashes on the hydrophone is my addition also.
Old 10-29-07, 03:38 PM   #74
U49
Grey Wolf

Quote:
torpedo running is stock, hearing the impact is from stock, hearing the fire burning on the hydrophone (if you're close enough) is my addition, hearing the occassional explosions and debris splashes on the hydrophone is my addition also.
I just wanted to point out it is now FOR SURE feeling real

I was creeping right next to the sinking ship for about an hour, reloading my tube and enjoying the sound . I was continously switching between the external camera and my sonar station ...
Realism: 90%
U49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 03:46 PM   #75
WeeBubba
Loader

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBubba
hi there

i installed the last version of this mod (which is great btw) but i had to use a tweak supplied by Wolf to run it in conjunction with my 16km distance mod.

will this run with the 16km distance mod? thanks
I don't see why you need a tweak to run it. What was the tweak? And why did you need it (what was missing/wrong/problem)?
hi RB

the tweak i am referring to is found on the discussion on this page. On this page JCWolf talks about having merged the SH4 effects and the Reece mod together for 16km. I am using this merged mod atm. I was wondering if I will need a similar merge to run the new version alongside Reece mod? perhaps I am getting confused. If so, forgive me, I have only recently been promoted from lowly deck swabber, so perhaps I am getting ahead of myself.
WeeBubba is offline   Reply With Quote