Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-09-19, 06:46 AM   #1
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Hey! English Speakers Learning German Language

Okay, this may be the wackiest idea ever. I really enjoy the immersion factor of hearing the SH4/SH4/SH5 crews speak in their native tongue. The only problem is I stay lost about what is being spoken if it is beyond "Diesel machine schtopp!" So, I was wondering if any native-English speakers here (who do not know Deutch(sp?)) have tried to learn German? If so, how was the experience? What did you use to learn it?

I can only imagine having the ability to understand spoken and written (Enigma?) commands, replies and the like must add a new level of authenticity to the submarine simulations.

While I am primarily interested in the comments of those native-English members which have felt the same unction to learn German I would be appreciative of anyone's contribution.

Here's hoping!
Old 09-10-19, 12:14 AM   #2
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

My family moved to Germany when I was one or two years old and we lived there for about four years. My father used to teach me phrases to say to people when we were out and about. When we came back to the States, I was required to pick a second language to learn as part of my studies. The choices were French, Spanish and German. I think I took a year of French, but decided I would rather learn German. I ended up taking five years of German classes.

Well, my previous exposure to the language must have helped - because my teachers said I had a very good accent. And I ended up in the German honor society. (But I think this was mostly because my teachers liked me. My grades weren't that great and I was always skipping school.) Anyway, fast forward about 25 years and I've forgotten most of what I had learned. I can still speak enough to maybe make my way around if I ever get to visit Germany again (which I would love to do). But I would be hard pressed to talk about anything deeper than the weather or where the nearest restroom is.

I think I might be able to help you out though. I'll PM you with some more information if I can sort something out.
Old 09-10-19, 12:26 AM   #3
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi Nathaniel,

Thanks for the reply. You can post any appropriate information here on the public forum. It might help someone else sometime, but feel free to PM if you prefer.

I just dawned on me that I need to try and learn what I can and use it on the forum at some point.

FYI - I have signed up for German lessons trial on http://fluentu.com
Old 09-10-19, 02:55 AM   #4
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

PM sent.
Old 09-12-19, 04:59 PM   #5
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Back in the 70's I wanted to learn German but all I had a choice of was French or Spanish.
So I avoided those classes.
Now I have to deal with ESpanoish screwed up English! If they can even understand English.