SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-25-20, 12:45 AM   #1
holohw
Watch

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0
Default Trying to get in place for a battle SH4

so i have been reading up on battle locations, dates and times in the pacific but my problem is i dont want to hang around in one area for days or weeks waiting for a battle but in saying that i have always found myself arriving too late then. Is there anyway to find out how long it will take me to get from one spot to the next so i can time it accurately and know when i should set course for a specific location and arrive at the right time?

Last edited by holohw; 06-25-20 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Im running TMO with rsrdc
holohw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-20, 02:15 AM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

You should have posted that in the SH4 section. It would get the appropriate attention there.

Moderators, can this be moved?
Old 06-25-20, 05:30 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

On it now.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-20, 01:09 PM   #4
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Previous threads have led me to the conclusion that it's pretty much a crap shoot as to being in the right place at the right time for a major engagement...

I was frustrated joining the battle of Midway despite using historically accurate times and locations... seems the AI has its own timeline and attack plans..
I have given up attempting to join historical battles for sending merchants to Davey Jones' Locker.
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-20, 02:16 PM   #5
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by holohw View Post
so i have been reading up on battle locations, dates and times in the pacific but my problem is i dont want to hang around in one area for days or weeks waiting for a battle but in saying that i have always found myself arriving too late then. Is there anyway to find out how long it will take me to get from one spot to the next so i can time it accurately and know when i should set course for a specific location and arrive at the right time?

I've never had much luck in being at the right place at the right time to witness / participate in any of the major

historical battles of World War II.

As far as I know, I believe that some of them have been scripted in the game but I've never investigated it from that aspect.

You cannot be exactly right on how long it will take to get anywhere with weather conditions being somewhat random however, I'm sure you are aware that when you lay out a full course to someplace you can get a rough estimate as to how long it will take at your present speed. The time in hours does show above each waypoint.

The closest I've come are some early missions when based out of Manila. I've been sent up toward Linguyen gulf and have peeked in. There were definitely Japanese troop transports heading into the gulf in the days immediately following the December 9th Start.
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 09:16 AM   #6
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Midway is rather variable; I've only once intentionally located it. Oddly, I also found it by accident on my very first patrol...on 6/17/42.

The BPS and Leyte campaigns are fixed events whose coordinates can be harvested from the Missions options, and are part of each career I run. Once you have the coordinates, use your map tools to determine the distance and derive the speed needed to arrive a day or two early, then lounge around until it's time for FleetFest to begin.

This works for the Palawan Passage as well, though I've done it only once. So, if you know where the BPP and BOS both occur and the route Kurita took...
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 01:21 PM   #7
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Default Any luck in Iron Bottom Sound?

I've always been tempted to head there and camp out for a few days before a few of the historical big battles that occurred there.

For what it's worth... here's a link to a chronological list of all the significant Pacific Theater surface battles of World War 2. I'm not sure to what extent any of them is modeled in-game.

https://silenthunter.fandom.com/wiki...of_World_War_2
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig

Last edited by Havan_IronOak; 06-28-20 at 02:23 PM.
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote