SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-15-20, 09:39 AM   #1
Eastwa
Torpedoman

Downloads: 124
Uploads: 0
Default SH3 running with new PC's

Hi All

In the process of buying a new PC will SH3 run on a new pC with windows 10 and say an alienware desktoip or laptop

My current PC is like a 2009 I7 920 core 2.67 GHZ with 6 GB ram so very old but it runs SH3 fine but im worried if I spend heaps on a new gaming PC it wont run SH3 and that would suck!!

Kind Regards
Eastwa
Eastwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 03:09 PM   #2
K-61
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 39

How much video RAM do you have? My current rig has 6 GB of video RAM, 16 GB of system RAM. I would suggest your new rig have at least 2 GB of video RAM, as some new mods require at least 2 GB of video RAM. LSH 2015, for example.

The game will run in Windows 10, you just have to be careful to follow the instructions for installation as found in tutorials on this site. The main rule is not to install it in the program files folder, but install it in a custom folder in the root of C:\ so as to bypass the Windows user account stuff.
Old 02-15-20, 08:24 PM   #3
Eastwa
Torpedoman

Many Thanks.

Well I haven't actually purchased it as yet still weighing up what to get but I will factor that in with the video ram.

Thanks again.
Old 02-16-20, 12:36 AM   #4
CaptainSvenski
Watch

Downloads: 3

External frame limiter is absolutely crucial when playing older games.Do not rely on the game's vertical sync or refresh rate.

I use RivaTuner myself.

I lost an almost new R9 390X a while back going on a nostalgia trip with GTA3.Old games sometimes have a tendency to make powerful new GPUs rev up thousands of frames per second,you can even hear the card buzz,to prevent this using frame limiter software is A MUST.I couldn't figure out why my case was buzzing in time and in a few days the card started to artifact and then wouldn't boot up at all.
CaptainSvenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-20, 03:54 AM   #5
Eastwa
Torpedoman

Thanks this is all very useful info as its been a while since I purchased a new PC (2009) LOL.
Old 02-16-20, 03:25 PM   #6
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwa View Post
Thanks this is all very useful info as its been a while since I purchased a new PC (2009) LOL.
You and me both!
The system I would normally play this game on is not working properly, but I do have an older model which is my backup, and is capable of running the program.
Old 02-18-20, 11:14 AM   #7
K-61
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSvenski View Post
External frame limiter is absolutely crucial when playing older games.Do not rely on the game's vertical sync or refresh rate.

I use RivaTuner myself.

I lost an almost new R9 390X a while back going on a nostalgia trip with GTA3.Old games sometimes have a tendency to make powerful new GPUs rev up thousands of frames per second,you can even hear the card buzz,to prevent this using frame limiter software is A MUST.I couldn't figure out why my case was buzzing in time and in a few days the card started to artifact and then wouldn't boot up at all.
Very interesting observation. When I check the frame rate in the game, such as a close up view of a ship exploding, the frame rate gets into 300+ FPS. Do you consider that taxing on a video card? So far I have not heard any unusual noises from my chassis.
Old 02-19-20, 07:31 AM   #8
italianmarine
A-ganger

Downloads: 42

My new machine runs it really well:

Specs: Intel Core i9 9900K, 3.6 - 5.0 GHz, 8 Cores / 16 Threads
32 GB DDR4-RAM, 2666 MHz, 2 x 16 GB
Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix A11G, 11GB GDDR6
installed on 500 GB WD Black SN750 Gaming M.2 SSD
italianmarine is offline   Reply With Quote