SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-31-10, 08:23 AM   #1
simonf
Swabbie

Downloads: 108
Uploads: 0
Default Why has SH5 suddenly stopped loading?

Hi Folks,

Can anyone suggest why SH5 has stopped working for me?

I bought and installed it a couple of weeks ago, and applied the patch at the same time. It worked fine until last time I played, which was 26th March (according to the save game files). I added a few mods that day using JSGME, but they worked fine at the time.

Since then I have upgraded my NVIDIA drivers to the latest version, and re-installed ARMA 2 (which was installed before I installed SH5, however there were a couple of missing files so I had to reinstall).

Today, I tried to play SH5 and it simply won't start. I get a borderless window covering about 2/3 of the screen (regardless of the Windows desktop resolution), top left at 0,0, which displays the Ubisoft splash screen and then plays the intro video. There is no sound (although sound works fine for other apps. Clicking in the window actually activates whatever is on the desktop behind the video. Once the video ends, the window goes black and then eventually disappears.

After searching the forums, I've tried disabling the "save games to server" option, rebooted, and even un-installed and re-installed SH5 and the patch. (I did not un-install my save games and configs, however I did delete whatever was left in the program folder (C:\ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5) in case the mods were causing the issue.

I'm running Vista 32 bit, fully up-to-date with drivers, patches etc. (I had to refresh everything to get ARMA 2 to run!)

Hardware:
E8400 3.0GHz CPU
4GB RAM
GTS250 1GB GPU
Business grade ADSL 2+ internet connection

Software:
Vista 32bit
DirectX 11.0
NVIDIA 11.9713

Can anyone help please???? Did Ubisoft make any changes in the last week that may have affected me? Is anyone else running GTS250 with the new NVIDIA driver? I'm not having problems with other apps, so I doubt it's a driver issue...

Thanks,

Simon
simonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 08:34 AM   #2
captainprid
Watch Officer

Downloads: 23

Have you tried re-installing?? You can keep your save games. I had a run-time error and re-intalled and everything was ok
captainprid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 09:24 AM   #3
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Try rolling back your video card drivers to the previous versions.

You did remove the previous drivers before installing the new ones?

The problem here is that you have made many changes any of which may affect game performance and its hard to point at any one thing.

Tags
crash