SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-18-16, 07:29 AM   #31
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmium Steele View Post
Glued resin piece behind the exhaust ports. Ground the ports down and filled the holes. Still need to fabricate new ports below the waterline.

Drilled 4 new limber holes below the old port location on each side. The first one was ugly, but I get better with practice.

Opened the small holes below the tower. That worked out fine on both sides.

After a bit of research, I need to fill the three bottom holes on the left of the photo, and add another to the top row. Also need to add a couple further back along the side. (Using U-295 as a model) These are tiny holes, and my smallest bit will barely do the job. Wish me luck.

The area marked by the red oval is charachteristic of later batches of VIIC/41s and VIICs with the type IV turm. The only 2 photos I've seen of U295 clearly show no bulge in this area. Looks like I have a bit more alteration to do here. Also note I filled the louvred grate area on the RFO/MB tank. Need to add a skim coat and finish sand the area on both sides.

Drilled the two ports seen above, and was test fitting the PE pieces for this area when it occured to me that these ports may not have had louvred grates as the PE pieces would suggest. If they were intakes, they probably would, but if they were discharges, they would not.

*sigh* more research

More later!
The model looks great so far. I saw in the forums a while back where someone had made their model/ U-boat look weathered and battle weary.

Nice work.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model