Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 07-28-08, 02:49 PM   #1
Mikhayl
Captain

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0
Default First Eagles WWI flightsim (pics)

---

Last edited by Mikhayl; 02-10-10 at 11:09 AM.
Mikhayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 03:03 PM   #2
Kratos
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

It was the game i bought prior to IL2, played for a while then got hooked on IL2 ,since pc format i never got round to installing again. Didn't know too much about patches etc. then. so you never know :hmm: might stick it back in for a play about.

nice pics

Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 04:50 PM   #3
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

So it is worth getting? RB was my first proper combat sim and loved it. I won't get CFS3 just for OFF and the way it is hard to get hold of I don't like....

Does it have multiplayer?
Old 07-28-08, 09:21 PM   #4
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Looks nice Mikhayl! Might have to give it a whirl!
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 09:43 PM   #5
Suicide Charlie
Wild Night in Bangkok

I've definitely been looking for a WWI flight sim.
Old 07-30-08, 03:05 AM   #6
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Since you asked my opinion I'd say that the damamge models in OFF are not terrible but also not fantastic. I too have emptied my guns into an enemy plane with no apparent effect but at other times I've been able to knock them out with a short burst or two.

As far as the damage models for the player aircraft go I'd say that even relatively small amounts of damage makes the plane very hard to control and don't get me started on the accuracy of ground fire! I don't fly over enemy lines below 3000ft for that reason.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 03:25 AM   #7
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

I don't have OFF or CFS3 and won't pay a mod group $50 for a mod that is based an original game, no matter how big the makeover.

So looks like First Eagles with expansion and mods is the way to go...
Old 07-30-08, 04:01 AM   #8
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Now can someone properly compare it to RB3D?
Old 07-30-08, 07:40 AM   #9
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 11:59 AM   #10
DemonTraitor
Loader

How realistic is the game? I have been watching some videos and saw tanks being taken out by the planes mounted machine guns - not sure if this was possible?

Does look good

I have been playing IL2 - amazing!!! Cannot believe I did not know the game existed until a few weeks ago!

I am always on the look out for realistic sims, of all types, but most of the ones I find seem to be pre 2000. Good up-to-date sims need to be marketed better... swap the shampoo & insurance adverts on TV for simulator ads

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to die"
DemonTraitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 04:35 AM   #11
DemonTraitor
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
Hum, it's admitedly "sim-light" (the devs state it themselves). I don't about ground attack though, I've seen some tanks but never had the occasion to attack them, the AI planes don't let you fly straight for long.
There's a mod that changes the flight models & bullet weight to have more realistic damage, the problem is it doesn't work with the last patch. And the patch IMO is a must have, it improves the graphics, the AI, the flight models too (greatly) and makes the damage more realistic (I would say it's between the absurd stock non patched & the modded damage model).
One good thing is that the game is easily mod-able, and you can make multiple install without tricks, just choose another directory. I have one modded game (non patched) and one stock patched game which I'm playing at the moment and is actually quite enjoyable (with just a modded menu).
The combats are really cool, however the campaign is very light. Missions are fine and all, but you start as "jasta leader", you have no ladder to climb. You choose your Jasta at the beginning and you can't transfer then. You can choose the number of wingmen for each mission and decide which one you take with you, they all have different skills & experience, and if they die, they die (or can be MIA), that feature is nice, reminds me of flying corps. On the other hand in the 5 missions I've done so far in my campaign, almost all of my wingmen were shot down, they don't always die (emergency landing) but most of the time I feel like I'm fighting alone (pretty tough). The mods enhance the allied AI greatly from what I've read, but as said it doesn't work with the patch, so it's a bit of a dilemma at times.
I'm also having an annoying issue since a few days, the loading times go up to 40 seconds, they were a breeze at the beginning, not sure if it's the game or my rig.

In very short, it's "sim lite" but the combats are intense, and all in all I kinda like it. Maybe you can find a demo somewhere :hmm:
thanks for the info. it does sound interesting. i used to play such a game on my amiga - but at this present time, the name of it escapes me... just done a google... "knights of the sky" that was good fun

anyone remember these... click

i am definitely a hard-core sim fan, as in, i like hard-core sims - the more realistic the better (i love f16-falcon ). the avionics modelling on that alone is... well...

it does look fun, i will have a look for a demo - you can never have enough sim games

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to die"
DemonTraitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 12:34 PM   #12
Capt Hook
Watch

RB3D

IMO

No WWI flight sim today can match or beat Red Baron 3D's singleplayer campaign engine. Especially when using such eye candy like ROTJ3, HASP, & FCJ to name a few. Red Baron 3D is older then Mosses and still draws attention. More so now for it's singleplayer enjoyment then it's online part.

J30<>Hookman
Strength & Honor
Old 08-26-08, 12:43 PM   #13
Raptor1
Navy Seal

I haven't played First Eagles but I completely agree that RB3D is the best WWI sim I've ever played

BTW, what are ROTJ3, HASP and FCJ?
Old 08-26-08, 01:31 PM   #14
Kratos
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1
I haven't played First Eagles but I completely agree that RB3D is the best WWI sim I've ever played

BTW, what are ROTJ3, HASP and FCJ?
hasp=hells angels single play
fcj=full combat jacket
cant remember what rotj3 is at the moment

Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 01:38 PM   #15
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Full Canvas Jacket

Revenge of the Jastas III, I think