SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-05-21, 11:23 AM   #1
jonnymorris
Swabbie

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Icon1 Downloadable Ship ID book, maps, etc.

Old sea dog veteran of Silent Service I and II, then Silent Hunter 3, now trying to get into Silent Hunter 5 but finding it very difficult with all the strange changes and game bugs to contend with. First thing I did was install the Wolves of Steel megamod, I'd heard about how bad the game was without it so didn't even try playing it before hand.

In Ye Good Olde Days one used to get printed maps and a good solid printed game manual, because let's face it commanding a submarine isn't something one can really pick up from a ten minute in-game tutorial. I read that Silent Service manual from cover to cover, learned a lot from it (much of it is still relevant to Silent Hunter 5), but am really missing that kind of printed support and information when it comes to Silent Hunter 5. I have tried the in-game automation tutorial things and they were OK but very time-consuming (felt like much got repeated) when I just want to be out there hunting, and they only covered a few topics, far from everything I felt I needed to know.

The "manual" that came with Silent Hunter 5 wasn't worth the paper it was printed on (I do actually have a physical copy, not that it's worth having really since it's still bound to a Steam key), so I'm wondering if any of you amazing people in the game and modding community have put together anything like a proper Ship ID book that I can print at home, easily printable charts (that aren't going to drain all of my printer ink - basic lines and such on a white background rather than full fancy colour which I doubt anyone really had in 1939 anyway), or where could I find these if they exist somewhere in the game folders? I had a look but it all seemed to be compressed game files, no recogniseable JPG files that I could see. I'd also like to be able to print all of the tables and such, basically everything that one can bring up in the maps and charts section.

Back in the day I had my map poster stuck to the wall and would use it while playing the game for shipping lanes and water depth information etc, I just can't seem to get on with the busy array of digital charts sitting half off the screeen, it feels like such a mess. I need paper and pencil!

Also a complete printable keyboard guide would be very helpful.

Hope someone can help. Thanks.
Old 02-06-21, 03:20 AM   #2
Storm501
Seaman

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0

TWOS has the keyboard guide which you get by F1 or F2. Surely possible to print it as well, if no other use printscreen and some photo edit.

As for map, probably what you are looking for, is a Kriegsmarine Grid chart of the Atlantic 3378x2652 px. However it is too much for a simple domestic printer. You need a library or a printing store for it.
Alternatively perhaps you just want the convoy route chart. It is half the size. You can make out it in A4, but A3 would be ideal.

Ship ID can also be done. I have five A4 laminated and clipped together. I remember there was a thread on this forum where I found the .pdf. Perhaps you will find it if you go through the entire download section.

Storm501 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, downloads, maps, printable, ship id guide