Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-23, 02:24 PM   #9361
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 01-25-23, 02:33 PM   #9362
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-25-23, 03:50 PM   #9363
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

After the new support to Ukraine, Russia as usual strikes with large missile attack across Ukraine still thinks this can break the Western Ukraine alliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Old 01-25-23, 04:04 PM   #9364
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Yep. Maybe we should let just one missile w/o payload land in the red square, just to show them no one is afraid of Putin.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 01-25-23, 04:16 PM   #9365
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Yep. Maybe we should let just one missile w/o payload land in the red square, just to show them no one is afraid of Putin.
Only answer is "Free the Falcons!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Old 01-25-23, 06:06 PM   #9366
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:

Use paint for a payload. Make Red Square Blue and Yellow.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 01-25-23, 08:07 PM   #9367
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Use paint for a payload. Make Red Square Blue and Yellow.
We got our own ammunition, it’s filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes… pretty pictures. Scares the hell outta people! We have a loudspeaker here, and when we go into battle we play music, very loud. It kind of… calms us down.sounds like oddball agrees with you just don't forget the loud music
Old 01-25-23, 08:41 PM   #9368
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
It does not need expensive payload to teach them. Only a Cessna 172 flown by Mathias Rust.
Old 01-26-23, 06:40 AM   #9369
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
It does not need expensive payload to teach them. Only a Cessna 172 flown by Mathias Rust.
That thought did cross my mind

Old 01-26-23, 06:47 AM   #9370
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

'Leave it to me'-Putin's chilling words to Xi Jinping before he 'ordered' downing of MH17

The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) will today announce whether it will hear a Dutch case against Russia over the downing of Flight MH17. In 2014, a Malaysian Airlines passenger flight was shot at while flying over the east of Ukraine, shortly after Russian President Vladimir Putin began his offensive in the Donbas region. All 283 passengers aboard were killed when the plane was hit by a Russian-made missile, fired by pro-Russian separatists in Ukraine.

The Dutch government says that Russian disinformation about the Kremlin's involvement amounts to a violation of the relatives' human rights. Russia has consistently denied all allegations.

Investigators have for years attempted to find the true culprit of the crime, the roads often leading directly to Moscow.

Florence De Changy, a foreign correspondent for the French publication Le Monde threw her hat into the ring in with her 2021 investigative book, The Disappearing Act: The Impossible Case of MH370.

While the disaster was separate from Flight MH17, Ms De Changy suggests that the two were linked, claiming that Putin himself may have been personally responsible to achieve his political ambitions.

Among these goals were to get "revenge" on the US, and to improve his relationship with the Chinese president, Xi Jinping.

Both Russia and China, Ms De Changy says, suspect the US of shooting down Flight MH370 - which disappeared mid-flight - in March 2014 while it was flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, months before the shooting of Flight MH17.

Aboard MH370 were 227 passengers and 12 crew of whom 153 were Chinese citizens, all presumed dead.

Linking the two incidents, Ms De Changy writes about a source who appears to allege Putin's hand in the Flight MH17 disaster. The source says that Putin, speaking to Xi after Flight MH370, said: "What happened is not acceptable. Leave it to me".

Ms De Changy argues that downing MH17 gave the Russian President a chance to send a message to Washington: "You mess with us, and we'll mess with you."

In an interview with The Sun, she said: "What is obvious is that the likelihood of this double accident is basically beyond statistics.

"To have two planes of the same model and the same company destroyed in four months should not be treated as just bad luck."

She continued: "I noticed that Xi and Putin were getting closer than ever during that period of time and they happened to have been physically together in Brazil when MH17 was downed. The day before, they talked of taking their relationship to a new 'higher level' and Putin mentions 'striking the iron while it's hot'.

"I also discussed this [theory] with people in that world [intelligence services] and to my great surprise, the more informed and high ranking they were, the less shocked they seemed about this hypothesis.

"In fact, one told me, the more outrageous the more likely it is to be true, in this kind of operation."

Others have also made the link. Jeff Wise, a journalist, writing in his book, The Plane That Wasn't There, argues that Russia may well have downed both Flight MH370 and MH17 in order to tell the West: "You can hurt us with sanctions, but don't sleep too soundly at night."

Despite the depth of reports, investigations, testimonies, and arguments, officials are currently no closer to determining the truth of the matter.

This week, however, the Dutch government could advance efforts if they successfully win over the ECHR.

At this stage, the ECHR will only rule on whether the criteria of the case are met for it to deal with the application.

But even if the court does agree to hear the Dutch case, years could pass before a ruling is issued.

If in that eventuality the court rules that Russia is guilty, Moscow could be ordered to pay the victims' relatives substantial sums.

Last November, two Russians and a Ukrainian were found guilty by a Dutch court at the Schiphol Judicial Complex of murder in absentia for their part in the MH17 disaster.

Their whereabouts are unknown, but multiple reports suggest they currently reside in Russia.

It was concluded that the missile had been fired deliberately in order to bring down a plane, regardless of whether those involved believed it was a military vehicle rather than a civilian.

Moscow has several times denied any involvement in the downing of MH17, describing the Dutch verdict as scandalous and political point-scoring.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...de2e53ba6aa5bb

Old 01-26-23, 06:52 AM   #9371
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Vladimir Putin plots to seize US weapons from Afghanistan

Vladimir Putin plans to seize US weapons left behind during the evacuation of Afghanistan.

A Kremlin insider claims that the Russian despot is in negotiations with the Taliban to recognise the nation's government.

In return, Putin wants US equipment snatched from Afghanistan by the Taliban to be handed over - according to Telegram channel General SVR - which claims to be fed information by a Kremlin insider.

American troops withdrew from Afghanistan in 2021 as the Taliban surged across the nation and it is thought that fighters stole as many as half a million weapons and up to 50,000 vehicles.

The General SVR channel claims: "Putin is overseeing negotiations with the Taliban to recognise the Taliban government.

"In return, the Russian leadership is offering a major arms and military equipment swap.

"Putin reported that the Taliban possess weapons and equipment including those seized after coming to power in Afghanistan, that are scarce for the Russian Army at the front.

"People initiated into the details of the negotiations say that the Taliban are extremely surprised by such proposals, but they are discussing them in earnest."

Ukraine not interested in peace talks with ‘nobody’ Putin, Zelensky says

Volodymyr Zelensky has branded Vladimir Putin a “nobody” and suggested it is too late for face-to-face peace talks with the Russian leader to make any difference.

In an interview with Sky News, Mr Zelensky described the Russian president as a “man who said one thing and then did another” as he said he was not interested in meeting him.

Speaking in English, he said: “It is not interesting for me. Not interesting to meet, not interesting to speak. Why? Because we had meeting with him in Normandy Format, it was before full-scale invasion.

“I saw the man who said one thing and then did another. So for me, I can’t understand – is it his decisions or somebody else? So to meet what – to shake hands? Not interesting. To speak? I really don’t understand who makes decisions in Russia.”

He also accused Russia’s president of having a disregard for his troops and throwing them “into the meat grinder”, ahead of an anticipated new Russian offensive.

Asked if it was too late for one-on-one talks with Mr Putin to prove useful in resolving the war, Mr Zelensky said: “Too late, not interesting. Who is he now? After full-scale invasion, for me he is a nobody.”

The interview also saw the wartime leader quizzed on his relationship with former British prime minister Boris Johnson, who following the invasion last year quickly became one of the most vocal backers of Ukraine on the world stage.

Since his Downing Street exit, he has continued to offer wholehearted support to Mr Zelensky and has called on western allies to arm Ukraine with the resources it needs to help end the war.

Mr Zelensky declined to say whether Mr Johnson should get an official role representing the UK on Ukraine, appearing to laugh at the suggestion and indicating that the former PM might not be ready for such a role.

“He is good guy,” he said. “Who knows? With pleasure, with pleasure, really.”

But he declined to say whether he would like to see Mr Johnson enter Downing Street again, instead praising his “good relations” with Rishi Sunak.

“I think that is not correct for me to support Johnson to be prime minister.

“We have good relations with Sunak. I think we had more long relations with Johnson, because it was more long-time.

“I saw Johnson in different situations, I saw him not in war and then in full-scale war, that’s why we have special relations.”

The Ukrainian leader also used the interview to warn there must be no delay in the US and Germany sending tanks to the country.

In a major breakthrough, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz this week approved the supply of the Leopard 2 tanks to Kyiv, while the US confirmed it will send 31 M1 Abrams tanks.

The UK had already become the first western nation to promise main battle tanks, with around 14 Challenger 2s pledged by Mr Sunak.

Mr Zelensky said: “Overall I am grateful to the world for their support of Ukraine. But if we are talking frankly and honestly with you, the number of tanks and delivery time are of crucial and critical importance, in comparison to the decision that has been made.

“We have approved cases of weapons to be sent to us, but we still haven’t received them.

“Sometimes the delivery of the weapons takes months, you understand?”

He said he did not blame anyone, but added that “a sense of relief comes only after the weapons, which our partners give us, are already being used by our army”.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...398ece98ee43a6

Old 01-26-23, 08:00 AM   #9372
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Russian missiles hit Ukraine day after West's tanks move

Russia launched a wave of missiles at Ukraine on Thursday, a day after Germany and the US pledged tanks to aid Kyiv's fight against the invasion.

One person died and two others were injured after strikes hit a building in Kyiv, the city's mayor said.

Officials also reported strikes on two energy facilities in the southern region of Odesa.

The barrage came as Russia said it perceived the tank offer as "direct" Western involvement in the conflict.

In what was a sustained and wide-ranging attack, the head of the Ukrainian army said Moscow launched 55 air and sea-based missiles on Thursday.

Valery Zaluzhny added that 47 of them were shot down, including 20 around Kyiv.

Earlier, Ukraine's air force said it had downed a cluster of Iranian-made attack drones launched by Russian forces from the Sea of Azov in the south of the country.

A 55-year-old man was killed and two others wounded when non-residential buildings in the south of the capital were struck, officials reported.

The offensive was a continuation of Russia's months-long tactic of targeting Ukraine's infrastructure. The freezing winter has seen power stations destroyed and millions plunged into darkness.

After Thursday's strikes, emergency power cuts were enforced in Kyiv and several other regions to relieve pressure on the electricity grid, said DTEK, Ukraine's largest private power producer.

A day earlier, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz promised to provide Ukraine with 14 Leopard 2 tanks, following weeks of international pressure. They are widely seen as some of the most effective battle tanks available.

The heavy weaponry is expected to arrive in late March or early April.

President Joe Biden later announced the US would send 31 M1 Abrams battle tanks, marking a reversal of longstanding Pentagon arguments that they are a poor fit for the Ukrainian battlefield.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky welcomed the move but urged the speedy delivery of the tanks. He also appealed to the West to send long-range missiles and fighter jets.

But for tanks to be "game-changer", 300 to 400 of them would be needed, an adviser to Ukraine's defence minister told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"The sooner we defeat Russia on the battlefield using Western weapons, the sooner we will be able to stop this missile terror and restore peace," Yuriy Sak said.

Speaking on the same programme, Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said sending tanks to Ukraine would make a big difference to the country's ability to win the war.

He also warned that Russia was planning a fresh offensive, just as reports began emerging from Ukraine of missile strikes following drone attacks overnight.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64411259

Old 01-26-23, 08:14 AM   #9373
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-26-23, 08:28 AM   #9374
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-26-23, 08:33 AM   #9375
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Parts of the German press are celebrating Scholz for his "tank coup," as they call it here, and want this to be understood as far-sighted "leadership."

I am not so sure.

There are credible reports that the Americans were pissed off that Germany publicly embarrassed them by making such demands to Biden (our tanks only if you send yours, and this after America already has delivered more military equipment and heavy weapons, artillery, than all Europe together), as if little Germany could command Washington or snub it in such a way. Besides, the Americans have always said they don't want to supply Ukraine with anything they can't maintain and technically "afford" in the long run. And the Abrams consumes, in transport volume, a fifth - minimum - more of its different from other armored vehicles fuel than the Leopard - and consumes its fuel at movement/operation rates even when just idling. And from the Ukrainian field operation it is admitted, differently than from the policy, that the logistic supply chains of the Ukraine groan now already under the multiplicity at supplied different systems from the west.
Now it is reported what I already suspected and also indicated: that the US tanks will be delivered only at the end of 2023 or even in 2024. So they will not play a role so soon.

I believe that the Germans have not scored a coup here, but that one of two completely different possibilities applies:

Either the Americans have taken a swipe at Scholz and said, "You see, we've been able to formulate tricky phrases as cleverly as you with your twisted phrases for a long time,

Or they have built a bridge for the Germans for the sake of the greater cause, to move face-saving out of the trap into which they have maneuvered themselves with their advanced demands.

For this year the Abrams will not play a role on any front or battlefield. If they ever (have to) come at all.

The German argument, one must keep the Americans "in the boat" to benefit form protection boni so that Russia does not go only on Germany, if Putin because of the Leopards over-snaps, I do not believe, because the supplied US artillery has already inflicted more damage and destruction on the Russian troops, than the tanks ever could any time soon. There the small Olaf constructed himself again an strawman for himself, so that he must not feel so alone and abandoned.

Two Leopard battalions are now to be formed: one based on the 2A6, and one based on the 2A4.

The Ukrainian logiostc network and engioneers will not hav to deal already now, this year, with the Abrams. I have no doubt they can learn in record time how to maintain the Abams. The question is not about intellectual capacity, but quantity in maintenance and logistc capacities. The logistics networks in the Ukraine are already strained, and are getting even more challenged with several new system arriving - all needing their own knowledge base and more important: their own spare part delivery chain.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-26-23 at 09:03 AM.
Closed Thread