SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-22-21, 03:33 PM   #1
jonny_bass26
Sailor man

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
Default Maximum number of careers?

Greetings all,
I've recently run into a problem that I appreciate most people will probably not encounter, so maybe no-one knows, but I thought this is as good a place as any to ask.
I've had SH3 (with GWX 3.0 and SH3Cmdr 3.2) for, well, a while, and way too much spare time, so I've managed to rack up 96 different careers to date. No, that's not a typo. Anyway, I recently tried to start career no. 97, and...no dice. The game CTDs every time, about 2 seconds after I select "Career" from the main menu and before I can even click "New Career" on the following screen. If I go back and delete an old career in SH3Cmdr, putting me back on a total of 95, then the new career (which would now be the 96th) works just fine.
So my questions are...has anybody else encountered this? If so, can anybody more tech-savvy than me tell me if it's some built-in limitation of the base game (or GWX, or SH3Cmdr...), or is part of my install slightly duff in some way? It's hardly a burning issue - as you can tell, I've had many delightful hours with SH3, and perhaps this is just life's way of telling me to get out more - I'm just curious more than anything. TIA :-)
jonny_bass26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-21, 04:01 PM   #2
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 588
Uploads: 30

Hi jonny_bass26 Ive never had more the three careers going at once in SH3 GWX but heres a workaround that might work copy your SH3 Career Folder
in your Documents as a master blank one with no Career saves and put it somewhere safe like in another Folder called Uboat Kapitans

1. go to a website called uboat.net click on the Men lists every Uboat Commander Alphabeticaly so pick five but no more with surnames beginning with A then start those Careers then when those Kapitans have been on their first patrols and are back in port.

2 now the clever bit make another Folder in your Uboat Kaptains Folder called Kaptians A place your SH3 Careers Folder with your first 5 kapitans careers inside that folder now make a copy of your blank careers folder and place it in your documents now fire up your commander mod and create another 5 kapitans with Surnames beginning with B and repeat the steps above for Folders Uboat Kapitans C,D,E,G,H and so on
so you can have 26 folders with five uboat careers in each folder so thats 130 careers active that should be more than enough.

Many a Miccle makes a Muckle lots of small things make one big thing

sometimes one has to think ouside the box

Last edited by blackswan40; 01-22-21 at 05:38 PM.
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-21, 06:02 PM   #3
jonny_bass26
Sailor man

Downloads: 23

Thinking outside the box, indeed! Appreciate the thought :-)
jonny_bass26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-21, 07:11 PM   #4
FeatsOfStrength
Gunner

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_bass26 View Post
Greetings all,
I've recently run into a problem that I appreciate most people will probably not encounter, so maybe no-one knows, but I thought this is as good a place as any to ask.
I've had SH3 (with GWX 3.0 and SH3Cmdr 3.2) for, well, a while, and way too much spare time, so I've managed to rack up 96 different careers to date. No, that's not a typo. Anyway, I recently tried to start career no. 97, and...no dice. The game CTDs every time, about 2 seconds after I select "Career" from the main menu and before I can even click "New Career" on the following screen. If I go back and delete an old career in SH3Cmdr, putting me back on a total of 95, then the new career (which would now be the 96th) works just fine.
So my questions are...has anybody else encountered this? If so, can anybody more tech-savvy than me tell me if it's some built-in limitation of the base game (or GWX, or SH3Cmdr...), or is part of my install slightly duff in some way? It's hardly a burning issue - as you can tell, I've had many delightful hours with SH3, and perhaps this is just life's way of telling me to get out more - I'm just curious more than anything. TIA :-)
I have found that I have crashes if I have too many patrols/saves in an individual career, the best thing to do if you don't want to lose them would be to cut and paste the careers that you don't play regularly into a separate folder so that it doesn't clog up SH3's menus, when you want to play them again just move them back into the Careers folder.
FeatsOfStrength is offline   Reply With Quote