SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-20-20, 06:57 PM   #1
GreyLadyDown
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Time Compression issue

Hello all, Fairly new here but not to the game. I have a constant problem with time compression bogging down after 512 speed. I have an Asus ROG with windows 10 and it's not a year old yet. intel core I7, Nvidia Geforce GTX.
I have read about possible fixes but I am unsure if they are reliable and if they are, I know nothing about computer files and how to mod a game or file.
Anyone have any ideas or help for someone like me?
GreyLadyDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 08:25 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If you've been noodling with mods at all, and haven't emptied the Save folder between the uses of the mods and / or back to Stock, then you are probably dealing with a system that has them all mixed together. The Save folder path is "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" in simple terms, "UserName" being the log-in name and "Documents" might anyone of several iterations Windows has used over the years. You could also use a "Documents" or "My Documents" short-cut in the file explorer - er, My Computer - er, This PC... delete everything below where that level of the path. This will wipe-out any Saves you have for a Career or Quick Mission, etc., as well as re-setting all of your video and other preferences.

Another thing to look for is that your video stream is "matched". An LCD display has a 'Native' resolution, which Windows will refer to as "recommended". Set your desktop to that resolution, such as 1920x1080. When in the game, use the "Options" menu, "Graphic Settings" and scroll down the drop-down box list in the upper right of that screen to find the resolution that matches Windows'. That is the most efficient it can run. If using HDMI, that should automatically pick-up the correct resolution / frequency for the display.

Another little aspect of the game that wasn't available in the 32-bit Windows XP days was a utility that could flip the header bits on the SH4.exe file that signifies to Windows that the program is capable of addressing more RAM than the old Windows limit of 2G. CapnScurvy (of FotRSU fame) has an excellent article from a fresh Windows 10 install, with a fresh SH4 install, and the use of "Large Address Aware", aka: "LAA". Consult his thread "Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install for the details.

Last but not least, think about that 512x TC setting... the world is flying by at that rate, such that 24 hours, or 1440 minutes, goes by in less that 3 minutes (2.8125), or 168.75 seconds... That's not to say that you should or should not be stuttering, but there is a lot going on in that SH4 world you have there...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 09:12 PM   #3
GreyLadyDown
Swabbie

Well I haven't modded anything. I get half way through a mission and I usually save. Sometimes the game keeps going well or sometimes the game will kick me out and I'll be back at desktop and hitting the play button again on steam. When I try to load one of two things happen. It'll kick me back to my windows screen again or if it does load the bog down occurs and it's unplayable and I have to start a new career which the time compression will work great.
I know nothing about modding, in the least bit! all I know is what I posted what my computer has plus an HDMI sticker on it. I know nothing about computers, files or where to even find them.

I just want to play a sub game, have fun, and not have to delete my saves and or have the game crash on a loading of a save game.....
Old 02-20-20, 09:50 PM   #4
propbeanie

That LAA applet can make a difference, but I'm wondering how you are saving the game? The game insinuates that you can use one name and just keep saving over and over. It would be better to save each time under a different name. The game does not like big save files (imagine that). The latest Save is always at the top. One thing to remember about the Save list, is that it will hold the Career saves, the Quick Mission saves, the Quick Patrol Saves, etc. Anytime you Save, it goes there, and to the top of the list...

Old 02-20-20, 09:52 PM   #5
GreyLadyDown
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That LAA applet can make a difference, but I'm wondering how you are saving the game? The game insinuates that you can use one name and just keep saving over and over. It would be better to save each time under a different name. The game does not like big save files (imagine that). The latest Save is always at the top. One thing to remember about the Save list, is that it will hold the Career saves, the Quick Mission saves, the Quick Patrol Saves, etc. Anytime you Save, it goes there, and to the top of the list...

I am on career, and everytime I save I do a different title. Usually SMLsave1
then SMLsave2 3 4 5 and so on. I have gotten to where I usually have 5 different save names because it's hit or miss which ones will actually load and which ones will load but lag.
Old 02-20-20, 10:56 PM   #6
propbeanie

- If you aren't doing mods, and you are saving to a new save each time, you should not be having such issues with a strong computer... Something in your system is causing you issues. I've got the game on several computers, and I don't have any issues like what you have. Did the DirectX v9.0c and Codecs install fine on your computer? They came with the Steam SH4 download... Do you have the v1.3 or the v1.5 that you are using?

Old 02-21-20, 10:48 AM   #7
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

By any chance does this happen in a certain geographic area between the Ryukyus and the Volcano islands?
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-20, 11:22 PM   #8
GreyLadyDown
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
By any chance does this happen in a certain geographic area between the Ryukyus and the Volcano islands?

No known location is causing the issue.
Old 02-21-20, 11:23 PM   #9
GreyLadyDown
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
- If you aren't doing mods, and you are saving to a new save each time, you should not be having such issues with a strong computer... Something in your system is causing you issues. I've got the game on several computers, and I don't have any issues like what you have. Did the DirectX v9.0c and Codecs install fine on your computer? They came with the Steam SH4 download... Do you have the v1.3 or the v1.5 that you are using?

How do I tell what version I have and if they have installed correctly?
Should I uninstall and reinstall to correct?
Old 02-22-20, 01:49 AM   #10
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

The main menu displays the version in the lower RH corner
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 10:50 AM   #11
propbeanie

Another way you can check it is to navigate to the game folder, and hover your mouse over the SH4.exe file until a little text box pops up on screen, and about the middle of that, it will display the version number. If you can't read it fast enough, just right-click the SH4.exe file, choose "Properties" on that context menu, and then click on the "Details" tab. About the middle will be a line "Product version 1.5.0.0" - or whatever version you happen to have.

Old 02-23-20, 11:24 PM   #12
GreyLadyDown
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmbbo View Post
The main menu displays the version in the lower RH corner

it says Version 1.5
Old 02-24-20, 02:35 PM   #13
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

That's the latest stock version. It also should include the Uboat mssions
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 04:42 PM   #14
propbeanie

About all that can be said further, is that the TC rate depends upon your computer strenght (excellent here), your game version (the latest), and how busy it is around your boat at the time. If you are near land, you sometimes won't get above 4x. If you are being "hunted", you sometimes can't get above 64x. If you are in a very busy area, with airplanes and ships and Land units surrounding you, you'll be lucky to get above 128x, and that is a game throughput problem, nothing else. It can only handle so much. Sometimes you can get to 256x and then 512x as you get further out to sea, but usually, 1024x and 2048x and above are only attainable in the middle of nowhere.

Old 02-29-20, 03:12 PM   #15
GreyLadyDown
Swabbie

Would the time compression issue have anything to do with when I save a game and then the next time I start the game when I load a save, it kicks me out of the game and back to steam? I have 3 4 or 5 saves in a row that if I load it will give me a loading screen then kick me out and back to steam. Then I have to start the game again and go down the list of saves until one will load.