SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-12-20, 02:00 AM   #1
Jetguy06
Seaman

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0
Default Update Question

I just bought and installed SH4 with the U-Boat Missions from Steam. I installed them, and I get the U-Boat Missions splash screen on startup, but it shows I'm on v1.3 when loaded. I thought the U-Boat expansion brought SH4 up to 1.5?

I'm trying to get up to the TMO campaign, but it requires 1.5. Can anyone help? Thanks!!
Jetguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 08:53 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You'll have to wait for someone with the Steam version to post to have a definitive answer, but Steam installs the v1.3, and the v1.5 is separate purchase, and it sounds like (from others' postings) that it is a separate folder install with a separate "game starter". What does your Steam Library app on your computer show for Starter short-cuts?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 02:53 PM   #3
Jetguy06
Seaman

I'm not sure what you mean by Steam shortcuts. Can you clarify please?
Old 03-12-20, 09:44 PM   #4
propbeanie

On your Windows "Start" menu, or using the "Search" for 'Steam', there is the Steam "app":

which, after you log-in, you get:

or whatever you have in your Library folder. You have to start a fresh install there first. On my computer, I have to start it there all of the time, because I am using a "copy" of the game for the mods I am using (WAC & GWX in this case, for SH3) - at least, I ~think~ that's why I have to use the Library... Do you have two listings for SH4?

Old 03-13-20, 12:05 AM   #5
Jetguy06
Seaman

Yes, I have two listings for SH4. One for the game and one for the U-boat expansion.

I always start my SH4 from inside Steam.
Old 03-13-20, 12:17 AM   #6
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

I run the Steam version and you should have one folder only, but two options on Steam. I just tried mine and either option will launch the 1.5 version. I'd say verify your install directory first, make sure there's only one location.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-20, 08:48 AM   #7
propbeanie

Thanks fellows, for that. One folder, but two start options, although they both take you through the v1.5 SH4.exe file then... So there really should be no confusion as to which folder gets modded... By default, do they still use the "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific" for the folder name? In my experience with the Steam SH3 and SH5, the use of the Steam verification will wipe any MODS from the game, so remove any mods with JSGME, and move your MODS folder to a "safe" hiding place prior to running the verify.

With my Steam SH3, I take that "stock" Steam game folder and make a zip file of its internals for archival purposes, and to use that as a base for my modding. In other words, I move into the "F:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter 3" (or whatever) folder, and zip up its contents into an "SH3archive.7z file (the Data and other folders, as well as the *.act and *.dll and other supporting files - not including the base folder). I then make an "SH3Archive" folder (or some such) and cut and paste that 7zip file into it for "safekeeping". I can then make another new folder for each of my intended mods, and copy and paste that archived 7zip file into each of them, such that with a stock "Steam" game, I will have the "base" folder structure of "F:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common...", and below that have the stock "Silent Hunter 3", and then a folder named "GWX" for the Grey Wolves mod, "LSH2015" for Living Silent Hunter, etc. Unzipping the archive then gives me an un-modded copy of the game. Bring in all that is necessary for the mods into the copied game folder, and after setting it all up, I will then use the Steam App on my computer and "Add a non-Steam game" to the Library, then re-name it to reflect the mod I'm using (as seen in the post pic above), and start it through the Steam menu, and presto-bingo, I can play the modded Steam versions, and have my Stock version too.

I do not know (of course) if that would work for SH4, but I do know it fails for SH5. Using TWoS on it, it will mod the Stock folder... but I still made a 7zip archive of the folder internals prior to modding, though I have not had occasion to use it, and hopefully won't...

Old 03-13-20, 09:11 PM   #8
Jetguy06
Seaman

So, what do I need to look for to figure out why I'm not on 1.5? I have two start options in Steam, but I'm not sure about folders. I'm not at my computer right now to check.
Old 03-14-20, 12:03 PM   #9
propbeanie

I'd do like ETR3(SS) suggests, and "verify" your SH4 install first (de-activate any mods first, as mentioned above). Do you have two SH4 short-cuts on the Steam menu? Are both Steam short-cuts named exactly the same? From that Steam app on your computer, you can click on the short-cut for SH4, then right-click and choose "Properties", and that will show you what the short-cut "points" to, or which SH4 it will start.

Old 03-14-20, 10:24 PM   #10
Jetguy06
Seaman

No mods, but two shortcuts in Steam. They are NOT the same. One is for SH4, and the other is for U-Boat Missions.

Right clicking and hitting Properties on either shortcut doesn't give me any info on what it's starting.

I have the General, Updates, Local Files, and Language tabs a the top, but the general tab provides no info on any kind of file path for either shortcut. The other tabs provide the same lack of file info.
Old 03-14-20, 11:30 PM   #11
propbeanie

There is your difference between the two short-cuts then. You want to use the "UBoat Missions" one.

Forgive me my old man forgetfulness though... You can tell a lot from the Steam Library on your computer, such as that I have been neglecting my SH3 and SH5 games ( )... but if you select a game with one click, then right-click on it, you will get this menu:

and if you choose "Properties" on it, you will get this information:

But I created my short-cuts for GWX and WAC there, so that's probably what the difference is. With an actual Steam-created short-cut, the display is different, so when you do Properties, you could use the "Local Files" tab and "Browse local files" button to find where the install folder is.

Put the MODS folder in that "Uboat Missions" folder.

Old 03-15-20, 09:25 PM   #12
Jetguy06
Seaman

Ok. Got to that point. Both of my shortcuts point to ...Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific. And yes, the game folder is spelled that way.

I'll be adding the Mods folder there, but that's not quite my problem yet. The problem is that both shortcuts in Steam open SH4, but it's only v1.3. How do I patch to 1.5 if 1.5 is supposed to come with the U-Boat Expansion?
Old 03-16-20, 06:03 AM   #13
propbeanie

Gotcha. Then you have as ETR3(SS) described. Using the "Uboat Missions" start short-cut from the Steam Library then, do you see the UBoat silhoue as the game loads, and then the after the main menu loads, do you see this in the lower-right of your screen?

Or do you see a "v1.3" instead? What happens if you use the v1.3 start item on the menu? If you see v1.3 when using the Uboat Missions start, then you definitely need to do as ETR3(SS) suggested above, and verify your game's files. Select that "Uboat Missions" short-cut, right-click and choose "Properties", then the "Local Files" tab, and the "Verify integrity of game files..." button from there. It will take a while to run, and depending upon what it finds, might make quite a few changes, so you usually have time to go brew some tea or coffee, and come back in five...

I wonder, if when ETR3(SS) comes back, if he can mention if he had to do a start from that Steam Library menu and activate the v1.3 and v1.5 of the game separately, similar to what my SH3 did? Of course, it should prompt you for that, if I remember correctly...

Old 03-16-20, 03:25 PM   #14
Jetguy06
Seaman

That did it!! My U-Boat expansion is up to 1.5. Thanks!!
Old 03-16-20, 08:53 PM   #15
propbeanie

Kuhl. Thanks to ETR3(SS)