SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-10-23, 02:59 AM   #1
Mon Homme
Seaman

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0
Default Aircraft specifications

All aircraft now have historical acceleration and cruising speed parameters.

Flight range reduced to 1000 km to match the parameters of the game world.

The Wolves of Steel compatible.

Install with anytime either in port or on patrol.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=6319

Last edited by Mon Homme; 04-04-23 at 12:14 PM.
Mon Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-23, 03:32 PM   #2
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon Homme View Post
Historical characteristics and range of aircraft.

The Wolves of Steel compatible.

Install with anytime either in port or on patrol.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/g0r7n...tions.zip/file
Cool

...but there is a "but" concerning the notion of range, well more than one actually.

For a start, the SH5 world is based on an equi-rectangular map projection. That implies that any in-game distance is greater than its real-world equivalent. To make it worse, map distortions apply in an inconsistent manner: they are greater near the poles and along parallels than they are close to the equator and along meridians.

Secondly the range figure commonly available for most aircraft is the maximal total range, i.e. the maximum distance an aircraft can fly between takeoff and landing, whereas the MaxRadius setting in SH aircraft cfg files is more closely related to the combat radius, i.e. the maximum distance a warplane can travel from its base of operations, accomplish some objective, and return to its original airfield with minimal reserves. There is no fixed rule for converting from one to the other, though we can safely assume that combat radius is lesser than half the maximum range. The point is: how much lesser?

Third and most important, in SH5 there is no way to assign specific tasks to airbase-spawned aircraft. Let's do an example: if an airbase has Catalinas within its airgroups, and an enemy port is within their radius, they will attack that port on a regular basis, no matter how unrealistic it is. The only way to prevent things like that from happening is placing airbases wisely and setting the max radius of their aircraft according to the kind of missions they are expected to accomplish rather than on real specs. Luckily we can create proxy clones on any aircraft, each clone with its own radius, without need to duplicate its model and binary files.

I hope I made myself clear
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-23, 08:49 PM   #3
Mon Homme
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Cool

...but there is a "but" concerning the notion of range, well more than one actually.

For a start, the SH5 world is based on an equi-rectangular map projection. That implies that any in-game distance is greater than its real-world equivalent. To make it worse, map distortions apply in an inconsistent manner: they are greater near the poles and along parallels than they are close to the equator and along meridians.

Secondly the range figure commonly available for most aircraft is the maximal total range, i.e. the maximum distance an aircraft can fly between takeoff and landing, whereas the MaxRadius setting in SH aircraft cfg files is more closely related to the combat radius, i.e. the maximum distance a warplane can travel from its base of operations, accomplish some objective, and return to its original airfield with minimal reserves. There is no fixed rule for converting from one to the other, though we can safely assume that combat radius is lesser than half the maximum range. The point is: how much lesser?

Third and most important, in SH5 there is no way to assign specific tasks to airbase-spawned aircraft. Let's do an example: if an airbase has Catalinas within its airgroups, and an enemy port is within their radius, they will attack that port on a regular basis, no matter how unrealistic it is. The only way to prevent things like that from happening is placing airbases wisely and setting the max radius of their aircraft according to the kind of missions they are expected to accomplish rather than on real specs. Luckily we can create proxy clones on any aircraft, each clone with its own radius, without need to duplicate its model and binary files.

I hope I made myself clear
What you said - I know. I just entered real combat radii and aircraft speed. In my game, this has not yet created problems, but I have seen transport planes and bombers flying about their business at sea. It was interesting. From now on, I will leave such modifications for personal use only. Thank you for the conversation. You are a great person!
Old 03-10-23, 10:15 PM   #4
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
What you said - I know. I just entered real combat radii and aircraft speed. In my game, this has not yet created problems, but I have seen transport planes and bombers flying about their business at sea. It was interesting.

You better don't indulge yourself with the air show too long before you issue the crash dive order lol

Quote:
From now on, I will leave such modifications for personal use only. Thank you for the conversation. You are a great person!
My criticism was not meant to discourage you from sharing your mods. On the contrary I hope that you will release more of them in the near future
Old 03-10-23, 11:38 PM   #5
Mon Homme
Seaman

Quote:

You better don't indulge yourself with the air show too long before you issue the crash dive order lol

My criticism was not meant to discourage you from sharing your mods. On the contrary I hope that you will release more of them in the near future
I really love your mods! They are always perfect and deserve the highest praise.

P.S.
By the way, in the process of working on the historical configuration of the aircraft, I noticed that the parameters of some aircraft were too high and differed from the historical values, and I had to reduce them.

Only transport aircraft that do not pose any danger to enemy ports have a long range. I think I did everything right.

Last edited by Mon Homme; 03-18-23 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-11-23, 08:44 AM   #6
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I really love your mods! They are always perfect and deserve the highest praise.
Thank you Mon Homme, I wish my work for SH5 was up to your praises

Quote:
P.S.
By the way, in the process of working on the historical configuration of the aircraft, I noticed that the parameters of some aircraft were too high and differed from the historical values, and I had to reduce them.
Yep, most vanilla aircraft specs are far from accurate, but it must also be said that in-game flight physics are far from realistic

Quote:
Only transport aircraft that do not pose any danger to enemy ports have a long range. I think I did everything right.
Maybe you are playing TWoS or some other mod adding transport aircraft to the game, I don't remember stock game featuring them
Old 03-11-23, 10:11 AM   #7
Mon Homme
Seaman

Quote:
Thank you Mon Homme, I wish my work for SH5 was up to your praises

Yep, most vanilla aircraft specs are far from accurate, but it must also be said that in-game flight physics are far from realistic

Maybe you are playing TWoS or some other mod adding transport aircraft to the game, I don't remember stock game featuring them
I use TWoS.
I mean transport aircraft that do not carry a bomb load. Apparently they are courier or transporting troops or performing aerial reconnaissance.

We'll be back with a win!

Last edited by Mon Homme; 03-11-23 at 01:13 PM.