SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-07-14, 01:50 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default It is an atomic bomb

I'm playing the new scenario Wargasm

Now and then the rusky's send some vampire to wards my town and now and then I get a white messages saying that SS-9 a.s.o have missed one of my town by 0.8 nm

?? OK I'm not any expert on nuclear explosion or the effect on the impact if it hits right on target or miss the target by 0.2 to maybe 4 nm or more

Shouldn't the bomb go off anyway bulls eyes or not? and shouldn't the damage to a town be severe whatever it is a direct hit or a miss by some miles. Of course a direct hit should destroy the City and a miss should

I could understand if it was some ordinary bombs from an airplane.

Just a thought.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-14, 09:41 PM   #2
strykerpsg
Loader

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

Now and then the rusky's send some vampire to wards my town and now and then I get a white messages saying that SS-9 a.s.o have missed one of my town by 0.8 nm

?? OK I'm not any expert on nuclear explosion or the effect on the impact if it hits right on target or miss the target by 0.2 to maybe 4 nm or more

Shouldn't the bomb go off anyway bulls eyes or not? and shouldn't the damage to a town be severe whatever it is a direct hit or a miss by some miles. Of course a direct hit should destroy the City and a miss should

Just a thought.

Markus
Having been playing this exact scenario multiple times now, I think they are modeling the periods technology un-reliability for the time, where electronics are in their infancy and may result in malfunctions or gross errors in accuracy. While I agree a nuke anywhere would create havoc, I think it's basing hits on less than 1 mile accuracy from the city marker. Realistic, not really, but I also think trying to model the blast and over-pressure effects on a steel and concrete city would be tough. Lest we not forget, most of the modern countries at the time had fairly robust Civil Defense structures and drills, so accuracy would factor as far as decimating the population. It's not to say the area outside would be habitable, but if the goal was destruction of the civilian population and the 2 countries are already at DEFCON 1, then most people will be bunkered up.

Just my read on the scenario. If you also note, the 9 US ICBM's will also produce accuracy errors and failure reports. This was probably why we often targeted many structures with more than 1 ICBM, to account for equipment failures.
strykerpsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 01:45 AM   #3
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Downloads: 2

Quote:

Just a thought.

Markus
When the log says the warhead missed the target it does not mean it didn't detonate, just that a direct hit was not made. Explosive warheads (incl. nuclear) still detonate after a miss and can cause proximity damage if they are close enough. The only case where detonation will not occur is if the weapon or warhead malfunctions. In that case the message log should tell you that.

Next time you get a near-miss message about a nuclear warhead observe the target area. Unless there is a malfunction, you should still see the nuclear blast.

Thanks.
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 01:54 AM   #4
strykerpsg
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburn View Post
When the log says the warhead missed the target it does not mean it didn't detonate, just that a direct hit was not made. Explosive warheads (incl. nuclear) still detonate after a miss and can cause proximity damage if they are close enough. The only case where detonation will not occur is if the weapon or warhead malfunctions. In that case the message log should tell you that.

Next time you get a near-miss message about a nuclear warhead observe the target area. Unless there is a malfunction, you should still see the nuclear blast.

Thanks.
Sunburn,

Does the white explosion only show if a successful nuclear detonation occurs? I noticed when I use droppable nukes from the B-52's, I see the white explosion, but with ICBM's and Hound Dogs, I just get the exploding star effect.

Also, you're right about reading the messages about the impact. I have seen about 30% malfunction and the others stating they are missing by xxx# of meters/feet. Does the era, 1960's modify the dice roll, factoring in malfunctions more so than say a late 20th century scenario?

Thanks for the clarification.

Matt

BTW, really love this scenario and Deter, Defend and ???(forgot the last part of the name) really showcase the challenges of identifying your targets and successfully shooting them down. Thanks for including them in the scenario package.
Old 09-08-14, 02:07 AM   #5
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Downloads: 2

Hi Matt,

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
Does the white explosion only show if a successful nuclear detonation occurs? I noticed when I use droppable nukes from the B-52's, I see the white explosion, but with ICBM's and Hound Dogs, I just get the exploding star effect.
If you are using time acceleration the visual effect may come and go too fast to see. MIRVs and Hound Dog (and SRAM) warheads are relatively small yield while almost all strategic gravity bombs are heavy-yield mothers.

Quote:
Also, you're right about reading the messages about the impact. I have seen about 30% malfunction and the others stating they are missing by xxx# of meters/feet. Does the era, 1960's modify the dice roll, factoring in malfunctions more so than say a late 20th century scenario?
Yes, older systems are significantly less reliable. Part of the reason bombers were kept in service even as ICBMs/SLBMs started to proliferate.

Quote:
BTW, really love this scenario and Deter, Defend and ???(forgot the last part of the name) really showcase the challenges of identifying your targets and successfully shooting them down. Thanks for including them in the scenario package.
Yes, the title is Deter, Detect, Defend. That and Wargasm are very much the two sides of the same coin.

Thanks.
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 12:19 PM   #6
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

It also happens that I get the message

....SS-9 or one of my own have malfunction I guess that in the early days of the atomic bomb, the bomb wasn't that trustworthy

about missing the target by ft or miles

Before I saved and closed the game yesterday I waited for one of my missile(Hound Dog I think the name was) it missed the target by 2000-and something ft and didn't explode whatsoever I had the time on 15 sec

I could understand if the bomb had a malfunction

A thought:

Did America and Russia have some kind of safety-thing on their atomic-missile or bomb? So if the missile or bomb missed the target by more than...it wouldn't go off.

Markus
Old 09-09-14, 06:14 PM   #7
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Played a few hours Wargasm and thereafter I closed the game

Reason

Only 2 of my ICBM hit their targets and exploded the other either malfunction or missed the target by so and so many ft or mn and didn't explode

Send a lot of Hound dog from my B-52's

Some of them were shot down by SAM's- expected

Rest either malfunction or missed the target...and didn't explode whatsoever.

No i didn't save the game.

I know that the Hound dog has a PoH about 70 % that mean that some of them should hit the target and explode

Markus
Old 09-10-14, 06:35 AM   #8
strykerpsg
Loader

Quote:
Played a few hours Wargasm and thereafter I closed the game

Reason

Only 2 of my ICBM hit their targets and exploded the other either malfunction or missed the target by so and so many ft or mn and didn't explode

Send a lot of Hound dog from my B-52's

Some of them were shot down by SAM's- expected

Rest either malfunction or missed the target...and didn't explode whatsoever.

No i didn't save the game.

I know that the Hound dog has a PoH about 70 % that mean that some of them should hit the target and explode

Markus
I didn't have as bad a luck as you did, however, have seen more than a few times the missiles missing their mark or malfunctioning. I have only beaten it once out of five attempts, but by and large, the majority of my missiles hit their targets. Also, it's balanced by the fact that the Russians have a similar failure rate and had 2 of my games where none of their missiles hit their intended target. So, it seems to be balanced but a bear, forgive the pun, to beat them without many repeat strikes.

Have you tried Detect, Deter, Defend yet? It's the same period and equally challenging equipment wise.
Old 09-10-14, 12:06 PM   #9
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
I didn't have as bad a luck as you did, however, have seen more than a few times the missiles missing their mark or malfunctioning. I have only beaten it once out of five attempts, but by and large, the majority of my missiles hit their targets. Also, it's balanced by the fact that the Russians have a similar failure rate and had 2 of my games where none of their missiles hit their intended target. So, it seems to be balanced but a bear, forgive the pun, to beat them without many repeat strikes.

Have you tried Detect, Deter, Defend yet? It's the same period and equally challenging equipment wise.

Well I forgot to mention one thing in my post.

Even the Russian had their malfunction and their misses...BUT...only two of their SS-9 didn't explode after they had missed their target. The other 3 or 4 exploded even though they missed the target.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the DEV-team loves everything that has to do with Russia or Russian.

I've heard that the American AMRAAM is a fantastic AAW weapon..may well be so or they are against any other fighter jets except russian fighter jets...there they are almost worthless.( I do not expect a hit ratio 1:1. But 4-6:1)

Even though I sometimes write very critical post regarding Command-I love it very much. It is much better than Fleet Comman in many way

I'll try the scenario you mentioned.
Old 09-10-14, 03:47 PM   #10
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Now this is really really weird

I had made a save before I ordered my B-52's to send their AGM against several targets

As I wrote earlier none of them explode due to SAM's, malfunction or had missed the target.

A few hours ago I thought I'll give it a chance. I loaded the scenario from the moment before I ordered my B-52's....

Started the game. Gave the same order as yesterday.

Guess what every AGM exploded even those who missed their target.

Now that is weird.

Markus