SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-26-12, 07:57 AM   #16
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Excellent, thanks Rubini.
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-12, 10:56 AM   #17
Borgneface
Captain

Downloads: 657
Uploads: 0

S! Rubini,
This is very impressive and also very scarrrrrrrrryyy No more relaxing on the seven seas!
Great work......Merci
Old 08-27-12, 10:07 AM   #18
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Oh my lord!

Rubini old friend.... you have killed us all!!!

Excellent work good man!!!!

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 10:51 AM   #19
Troublous_Haze
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

These news surely surprised me a lot, since I thought this could never be done on Sh3.What would kill me for sure would be reading about GWX making special dustclean update version for GWX, that would include basicly all known realism based mods which were never known at the time final GWX came out..
Old 08-27-12, 01:12 PM   #20
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

I found some interesting info about Avenger, Mark13 and Fido. Well, in truth isnīt difficulty to find these infos as they comes from Wikipedia and uboat.net. See:

From Wiki:

Quote:
"The Avenger had a large bomb bay, allowing for one Bliss-Leavitt Mark 13 torpedo, a single 2,000 pound (907 kg) bomb, or up to four 500 pound (227 kg) bombs."
If I understood it correctly no external visible payload on the Avenger, even the torpedo are inside the bomb bay.

Quote:
"Originating in a 1925 design study, the Mark 13 was subject to changing USN requirements through its early years with resulting on-and-off development. Early models***8212;even when dropped low to the water at slow speeds***8212;were prone to running on the surface, or not running at all. By late 1944, the design had been modified to allow reliable drops from as high as 2,400 ft (730 m), at speeds up to 410 knots (760 km/h). The final Mark 13 weighed 2,216 lb (1,005 kg); 600 lb (270 kg) of this was the high explosive Torpex.[4]"
Wiki Fido specs:

Quote:
"...
Maximum drop altitude: 200 to 300 ft (60 m to 90 m)
Maximum aircraft launch speed: 120 knots (220 km/h)."
My conclusion is that the drop behaviour on the mod is much better than initially expected - 100km/h at more or less 40/50m high & 700m before target - and the avenger must not have any visible torpedo externally. This will make things better as I donīt found a away to put that static under body torpedo go away. We can then just not see it until itīs dropped. What you think about? May it stay there for identification/eye candy purposes ?

The same above refer to the FIDO...i will just, in a future release, make a correct 3d model/texture for it. Or someone here can do it to speed up the mod?

Here from wiki about Swordfish:

Quote:
"The primary weapon was the aerial torpedo, but the low speed of the biplane and the need for a long straight approach made it difficult to deliver against well-defended targets. Swordfish torpedo doctrine called for an approach at 5,000 ft (1,500 m) followed by a dive to torpedo release altitude of 18 ft (5.5 m).[2] Maximum range of the early Mark XII torpedo was 1,500 yd (1400 m) at 40 knots (74 km/h) and 3,500 yd (3200 m) at 27 knots (50 km/h).[3] The torpedo travelled 200 yd (180 m) forward from release to water impact, and required another 300 yd (270 m) to stabilise at preset depth and arm itself. Ideal release distance was 1,000 yd (900 m) from target if the Swordfish survived to that distance.[2]"
The Swordfish is another history because it was slow and probably dropped the external visible torpedo from low altitudes (but seing the below video it is not that only 5,5m anyway! . Anyhow, for playability, my idea is to mantain it that way, just dropping the velocity to 90km/h. Humm...also the splash must be much major.:

Here the better video that I found showing Sworfish in action dropping torpedos:
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/sw...torpedo-planes

Last edited by Rubini; 08-27-12 at 08:45 PM.
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 01:16 PM   #21
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 90

Excelent work Rubini

I can't wait to try it
melnibonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 04:32 PM   #22
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Downloads: 123

Hi mate,

Not sure i want to install this with our evil destroyer ai player will see the death screen often!
Nice work on this another historic part restore!
Best regards Hans

Hans Witteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 08:42 PM   #23
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Thanks guys by the kind of word!

Nice to see you too Kpt Lehmann!

I just finished the main .dat that control all aspects of the mod...wow itīs a bit complex now. For example, i added the feature to have also deep running acoustic torpedos, they will be released even if you are submerged...and will hunt you more deeply, more or less until 25m ( was 12-15m before).

As we already knows (by the first release) the mod comes with some limitations that are inside SH3 itself. But it works very well, I have not found any problem, CTD, save reload bug, or inconsistence with the mod.

If I have a RL with a bit less time on real work I could release it quickly. Letīs see!
Old 08-27-12, 11:12 PM   #24
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
PS: correct me if Iīm wrong: Fido and others acoustic torpedos were eletric ones and didnīt had visible trail over water? Is this correct?
This is correct. Also, the Fido's, at least, were much smaller, less powerful, and slow. (The reason for this is a powerful motor would make too much noise and prevent the torpedo from "listening".) So, there would be some hope of surviving a hit.

Anyway, really nice work.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 07:06 AM   #25
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Also, the Fido's, at least, were much smaller, less powerful, and slow. (The reason for this is a powerful motor would make too much noise and prevent the torpedo from "listening".) So, there would be some hope of surviving a hit.
Their maximum speed was around 12 knots, so in theory a u-boat could out run a Fido on the surface. Unfortunately for the u-boat men they didn't know of Fido's existence, so crash diving was the preferred option. The Allies officially called Fido the Mark 24 Mine to cover up the fact it was an acoustic torpedo.

This sounds like a great addition to the game, well done Rubini.

Nemo

Sir John Slessor GCB, DSO, MC, DL
AOC-in-C Coastal Command RAF
Old 08-28-12, 07:18 AM   #26
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

A few links on the 'mine'

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WTUS_WWII.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_24_Mine

http://www.uboat.net/allies/technical/fido.htm

http://www.history.navy.mil/museums/...l/history2.htm

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 01:02 PM   #27
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 117

Rubini, great one!

What are the odds in bad wheather? Or when the boat is running silent? Or is this torpedo a standard acoustic torpedo cloned from the game and should I ask Ubi?
rik007 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 01:59 PM   #28
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007 View Post
Rubini, great one!

What are the odds in bad wheather? Or when the boat is running silent? Or is this torpedo a standard acoustic torpedo cloned from the game and should I ask Ubi?
LOL...Yes, you are right !

The acoustic in the mod isnīt a clone but obviously uses the same type of controllers...so it will behaviour like ubiīs one.

It have the same goods and bads (ready here: limitations) like the original ones. I yet didnīt see it at big waves, but this will be not common in game because the torpedo bombers will not find you easily in bad wheather.

The best manouver is crash dive, but stopping or going very slow also help. But is very dangerous stay in their action area anyway...they can be erratic too and then you are dead.

Having some issues with the RND groups...need to fix it as last work before release.
Old 08-28-12, 10:32 PM   #29
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
LOL...Yes, you are right !

The acoustic in the mod isnīt a clone but obviously uses the same type of controllers...so it will behaviour like ubiīs one.

It have the same goods and bads (ready here: limitations) like the original ones. I yet didnīt see it at big waves, but this will be not common in game because the torpedo bombers will not find you easily in bad wheather.

The best manouver is crash dive, but stopping or going very slow also help. But is very dangerous stay in their action area anyway...they can be erratic too and then you are dead.

Having some issues with the RND groups...need to fix it as last work before release.
Very good! I'm glad that we have a way to survive this new accoustic nightmare. Over reality we have the advantage of the exernal/event cam. But at full realism you will have the sudden death. Outstanding!

Take your time in fixing. We are patient.
rik007 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 01:23 AM   #30
Troublous_Haze
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

BTW I hope everyone agree to the fact that torpedo hit to a u-boat in RL was deadly by all means. 100% destruction of the hull that is.