SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-27-23, 09:57 AM   #421
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I see, I misunderstood what you were saying.

I think for now I'm going to skip the trainer cheats, and just stick it out to 6000 rifle XP. Gives me a goal to chase and that's fine with me. I looked up how rifle score is calculated. One of the things is integrity as you pointed out.

So my question is, how does the range of suitable class for each weapon effect integrity? Let's take the .308 for example, which is the rifle I use the most. It is a class 4-8 weapon.

If I am targeting a whitetail for example, would a .243 be more integrity? In other words, even though the .308 is class 4, would a smaller class 4 cartridge (2-6 with the .243) be more ethical and result in higher integrity and therefore rifle score?
Old 01-27-23, 10:34 AM   #422
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Oh yeah, I wanted to add that after our discussion yesterday I started carrying the pimp gun and took a bison with it. I had not taken a single class 9 animal in my 55 hours so far. But this cannon gave me the confidence to stay in tight to that beast and take him. Usually I start beating feet when one of these is close.

Once I qualify for the .300 things will change. But this pimp gun gives me protection at close range I didn't have before. Thanks for bringing it up!
Old 01-27-23, 10:44 AM   #423
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
I see, I misunderstood what you were saying.

I think for now I'm going to skip the trainer cheats, and just stick it out to 6000 rifle XP. Gives me a goal to chase and that's fine with me. I looked up how rifle score is calculated. One of the things is integrity as you pointed out.

So my question is, how does the range of suitable class for each weapon effect integrity? Let's take the .308 for example, which is the rifle I use the most. It is a class 4-8 weapon.

If I am targeting a whitetail for example, would a .243 be more integrity? In other words, even though the .308 is class 4, would a smaller class 4 cartridge (2-6 with the .243) be more ethical and result in higher integrity and therefore rifle score?
Don't know, never tested it systematically, since I do not care.

I also play without TruRacks, because these make the antlers look hilarious at times. COTW has zero statistcs and awards attraction for me. If I get the money from a hunt that comes up for the ammo spend, I'm fine. And maybe, every couple of months a new tent for a new reserve. I prefer to restart where I last time left. That way I get aroun d and see more of the reserve.
Old 01-27-23, 10:46 AM   #424
Skybird
Soaring

What the heck is a pimp gun?
Old 01-27-23, 10:49 AM   #425
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Check out the last few posts from the previous page. It's the 454.
Old 02-03-23, 02:39 PM   #426
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

When will there be a sale?! Haha, I'm itching to complete the set, but I want to feel smart by waiting for a sale so I can snap up the DLC I have yet to get.

I did indeed unlock all the stuff tied to rifle score, got my .300 (and unlocked the .338 and .470 as well, but have not purchased those weapons) I bought the .300 for its long-range, big-game capability and my first shot was a grizzly at 6 yards! Too close!

I have seven of the thirteen reserves and want to get them all. Call of the Wild always seems to be on sale, until I want it to be. A watched pot never boils eh?

Nice buck taken at 256 yards with a .308 last night. Fourteen pointer! I have the bow in hand because there are more deer out of frame further along the water's edge. I'm crawling for the same reason

Old 02-06-23, 12:10 PM   #427
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I caved again and picked up the New England Mountains reserve DLC. I wanted to wait for a sale to feel smart, but I now had plenty of time on each reserve I do have, aside from maybe the savanna and Siberia, where I've done a few hours at least on each, but so far I prefer more of a forest and farmland sort of set up. Spending my youth hunting in northeastern Pennsylvania made me think that the New England map would be the closest match. And it is, on the southern half of the map There's a river valley that bisects the map east to west, and south of this line it feels a lot like the terrain I've hunted, Bradford and Sullivan counties in NE PA, if anyone is familiar with the region. Private land near Endless Mountains State Park, along the upper end of the Susquehanna River. Sort of sitting in the center of the Poconos and Catskills.

The land in the reserve lacks the populations, sparse as it is, and the dairy farms that dot the area. And the soil isn't full of clay haha. But otherwise it really is a close match and this is already one of my favorite reserves. The mountains as we call them in the east are really more like ridges. Rounded across the crest and running a long distance along the spine. What geologists call a dissected plateau. The way the rivers 'cut' the land looks great too, just as it was when I hunted. So this map feels like home. North of the river valley the terrain is heavier and more rugged, more like Vermont or Maine. This reserve is very good for whitetail hunting, Has quite a few class 1 small game, like 'coons, cottontails, bob-whites, ringnecks, ducks and turkey. Well, coons are class 2. Also has bobcats, coyotes, red and gray fox. Black bears and moose are the big game in the preserve. So a nice mix, and the first reserve where I feel like I want to carry a shotgun.

I caved again and bought the Duck and Cover DLC for four bucks to get the 20ga semi-auto and birdshot and slugs. I have a 12-ga over/under but not the score to unlock birdshot or slugs. Just buckshot, so it is slow going gaining that mastery. Buying Duck and Cover just gives that kit for 'free' and now I can use that 20ga for everything from rabbits, pheasant and duck to deer. Only holds 3 rounds. Must have a magazine plug dammit. They'll probably sell a DLC to give you two more shells.

This shot really feels like the region I'm talking about, maybe if those hills in the background were one contiguous thing. It's too early in the season to feel like buck season really, this is like late September judging by the foliage. But it would have been nice to hunt deer in a light jacket instead of foot-deep snow, so here I get to head out when the weather is still nice

Old 02-08-23, 09:25 AM   #428
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

This is what I mean by not much discussion around here

I posted the same shot over on the thread at SimHQ, but I thought this is interesting. I take shooting percentage seriously. I don't like missing shots, often passing up those presented in order to improve my position, range or angle. I don't shoot at running animals. I aim to make every shot count, and hit the proper spots to ensure a clean harvest. Misses stick with me until I've hit the next six or ten on the bounce.

I think consistency is a worthy thing to shoot for. How's this?

Identical shooting percentages for every weapon type. What are the chances?! I think I should be hitting 90% so I have work to do.
Old 02-08-23, 11:39 AM   #429
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
When will there be a sale?!
I assume around easter.
Old 02-08-23, 11:45 AM   #430
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
This is what I mean by not much discussion around here

I posted the same shot over on the thread at SimHQ, but I thought this is interesting. I take shooting percentage seriously. I don't like missing shots, often passing up those presented in order to improve my position, range or angle. I don't shoot at running animals. I aim to make every shot count, and hit the proper spots to ensure a clean harvest. Misses stick with me until I've hit the next six or ten on the bounce.

I think consistency is a worthy thing to shoot for. How's this?

Identical shooting percentages for every weapon type. What are the chances?! I think I should be hitting 90% so I have work to do.

I did not even noticed that this screen/statistics table is there. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I am currently absorbed with hexfield cosimming, and my daily dose of Fallouting in the evening - since severla years, almost every evening, a short hop into Diamond City and the Wasteland. Must be several thousand hours by now. Thank Mod.
Old 02-08-23, 01:12 PM   #431
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I'm happy to do so, and I only wish the statistics were far more detailed.

How many moose have I taken? How many whitetails with a .243? .308? 420-gr arrow?

I know now that I've taken 51 whitetails, but only because I got the Whitetail Hunter achievement for taking 50. I wish the game tracked and displayed all this info. But, it's got more than Way of the Hunter, so there's that.
Old 02-08-23, 09:39 PM   #432
Skybird
Soaring

Again, if you want statistics, then Hunter Classic is your thing. It collects them exessively.
Old 02-09-23, 03:18 PM   #433
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

What a conundrum, wrapped in a riddle, shrouded by an enigma!

Haha, yes I want more detailed statistics, about everything. it's my jam.

On the other hand I don't want to play Hunter Classic, at least not at this time.

What to do?! Stay the course is my current plan, but you never know. It's free to play as far as I can tell so why not take a punt down the line?

In Call of the Wild I finally reached the required weapons score to unlock the Hawk Edge 70 compound bow! Felt like a steep hill to climb, but satisfying to have done so. I reckon it took somewhere between 40 and 50 bow kills to do it. See, even this statistic is missing, how many have I taken with a bow? This is the sort of stuff that should be minimum expectation in games like these in my view.

I was looking to pick up another reserve last night but didn't pull the trigger. One I considered is Cuatro Colinas. But I didn't simply because of the wolves.

The devs have gone way too far with how they've modeled the danger wolves present to the player. they are relentless and lethal. You hear a howl, and they are circling, then they move in for the kill. You need to shoot three of them before you can make them run off. It's silly.

Wolves are predators, and present a certain danger. But like most predators you encounter in the wild, they are not man eaters. They detect another predator (you). They smell your threat. And they move off. I've seen it personally with bears, wolves and cougars. But in this game, those wolves will never not attack. If you hear the howl, you will be attacked within seconds. No warning shot will scare them off.

An occasional attack I could live with. The way it's done here is ridiculous and it makes me avoid the maps with wolves more than I want to. Especially Taiga. Wolves are also in Cuatro Colinas, and frankly it kills my enthusiasm for buying it. When it goes on sale I will, but how much time I'll spend there is a question.
Old 02-09-23, 04:45 PM   #434
Skybird
Soaring

I encountered wolves very rarely, and only when I attacked them it was a hair-raising follow-on-play, yes. I use a multi-round rifle, bets with a magazone of 5, and do not reload it, but when emtpied I draw a pistol. But in general I never meet them if not actually searching them out. I have never been attacked randomly, different to buffaloes and the likes. If there is one species I really am on my guard against, then widowmakers buffaloes, these things , and i do not like how their behaviour is modelled with their laser-range-finders and GPS controlled track-the-player-and-charge-feature even if player is out of sight feature. Big cats also never were a problem, although they are meant to sometimes be one. Maybe I simply play too cautiously and thus get not surprised, I dont know. I expected more danger from them, but found: none.

I do not see both Hunter games as simulations but as games with simulation elements. They accept compromises, and all in all these work well in the meaning of that I enjoy walking in these worlds and feel properly entertained.

In Classic I sometimes hosted MP sessions, starting at 5 a.m. ingame time and ending at 7 p.m. , so that were 7 hours of playtime in real hours, all day long, so to speak. Classic doe snot have night play and ends the session at 7 p.m. It was fun, but I would not have the patience anymore.
Old 02-10-23, 09:34 AM   #435
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Yeah, no, my experience so far is very different.

And actually, animals like the bison make sense to attack the player when he is detected at close range. Wolves do not. Way of the Hunter has got it right. Call of the Wild does not. The wolf behavior is not natural, done to make the game world feel more dangerous. Probably the worst single aspect of Call of the Wild for me.