SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-16-22, 08:19 AM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I am downloading Regiments now. This guy has had a blast with it:

"If you are going to play a game this year in this genre, then this is the one to play. (...) I guess this will be one of the best releases this year."

I tried Warno, and refunded. Regiments, by the looks of it so far, reminds me of Armoured Brigade, just with better graphics and gameplay and probably lower realism. Regiments is no tactical simulation, but a RTS game.

Download almost completed. I'm off for the rest of the afternoon.
Old 08-16-22, 11:18 AM   #17
UglyMowgli
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas86 View Post
Not a good review for Regiments..

https://www.gosunoob.com/reviews/reg...an-escalation/

And when comparing screenshots on Steam with Regiments and the Wargame series / Warno from Eugen, I can see what they mean. Waiting on more reviews today.

Well the guy who wrote the review didn't seem to have played with Regiments.
Saying that the AI is "feeble" is a nonsense.
A clone of Wargames! Really, if you just look at the screenshot maybe, everything else is different.

For me an another review by someone who didn't play it and he is not a wargamer (seeing his other reviews, I can confirm).
Old 08-16-22, 02:31 PM   #18
Skybird
Soaring

Okay, my first impressions. I like it. Very. That means something, because usually I do not like RTS, its too hectic and too much work overload.

The world looks nice in this game. The letter size in the onscreen menu is way too small for me, in a bid to keep the interface small, though, but the general handling is good.

The general flow of what is happening is - AWESOME! I like it, it is plenty of fun, and has something very satisfying. Just do not mistake this with a realistic taccis simulator. Zooming and moving the camera after short time is intuitive, and fast, that allows to quickly get close to the action. And you want to be close to the action at times, because the action can look quite spectacular.

Several skirmish modes, plus several campaigns, apparently scripted. The AI I cannot really judge, I saw too little of it, but what I saw, looked good enough to add the playing value for single players - because there is no multiplayer. Later addons or increased map and unit lists are planned.

It indeed reminds of Armoured Bridgade, but is faster, more action loaded, looks better, has faster pace. Its indeed mobile battles, I found myself moving back and fourth with units a lot, reminded me a bit of fencing. Defe3nd, scoot in, and when he starts to fight back, evade, start new. Really, there is satisfactioin in arrnagign the ballet of platoons and small formations.

First hotfix came quick when they found they had a biggie of an issue on board, it took them less than an hour after release to take it down

I will stay with it, I like it. Thats an exception from the rule, I avoid RTS, usually. I prefer turn based, usually, or first person perspective, whatever it is.

Thats why I put even bigger hopes into Second Front that will follow later this year.

Second MicroProse title I got, second good hit. And yes, it feels like 25 years back then again! They are back, with plenty of activities and good quality so far. Long live the legacy - heritage obligates!

Another review form today. He too is very positive. And he too is full of praise for the "brutally good" AI.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-16-22 at 02:43 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-22, 05:26 PM   #19
Andreas86
Engineer

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 1

I have it now, but my poor 2017 laptop is too weak to run it. Even though it is powerful for its time. Its like 3 fps at 1024x768 with everything turned down.
Andreas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-22, 05:55 PM   #20
Skybird
Soaring

You can refund if playing time is not more than 2 hours.
Old 12-15-22, 03:58 PM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

Second Front finally has a release date: January 31st 2023.

Target market and weapon locked onto it. I have very high hopes for this title.

Old 12-15-22, 11:14 PM   #22
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18

Exciting times to have MicroProse make a comeback. Second Front looks like it could be a lot of fun, though I would prefer if the graphics were a little less cartoony.

What would really make me happy though is a proper remake of B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th. I thought I heard that was being worked at some point!
Old 12-16-22, 03:22 AM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaero View Post
I thought I heard that was being worked at some point!
It is.

No word on that it was cancelled.
Old 12-22-22, 08:25 PM   #24
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65
Icon14

I own all the Eugen Systems stuff, from Wargames: European Escalation to WARNO and everything in between. I love the series and have played it a lot. I still play all of them.

I recently picked up Regiments, and so far I like it very well. In some respects, I even like it better, in that the gameplay mechanics for controlling units and the camera are quite nice. Things seem a bit more streamlined for the player.

I think it's worth a try, for those who like this sort of thing. If you like the Wargames/WARNO series, you'll very likely enjoy Regiments.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-22, 09:37 PM   #25
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaero View Post
What would really make me happy though is a proper remake of B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th. I thought I heard that was being worked at some point!

Yup, a remake is planned as well as two new B-17 titles:
B-17 Flying Fortress The Bloody 100th
The Mighty Eighth VR
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-23, 11:38 AM   #26
Oubaas
中国水兵

Icon14

Ignore negative reviews of, "Regiments". It's brilliant! I love the Wargame series and WARNO as well as the Graviteam offerings and I'd put, "Regiments" right up there with the best of them. It's one of the best games that I've played in years.

Old 02-02-23, 07:19 AM   #27
Skybird
Soaring

Since many years in evolving and development, now listed at Steam as "soon".

Funny. When i was a boy and still at school, I one day pinned a Din-A3-worldmap on a cardbox, and started to "sail around the world", in "real time". I used a needle to mark my daily position changes. I estimated speeds for rivers, lakes and oceans. I scanned the weather forecast to reduce speeds when bad weather in my region was coming up, or stayed in harbour. I followed coastlines and rivers, estimated harbour times, fantasized of being here and there and staying for a day or two before moving on. All without internet or computer! Every day I spend a few minutes to log my latest trip advancements. I even hosted some VIP guests on my imagined boat, a revamped former German Seenotrettungskreuzer from the 70s, and these guests usually were the stars and heroes of some TV series or movies. I even wrote a daily logbook. And almost six months later, I returned back home, on river, to Berlin. It was the most creative use of human fantasy and imagination you can think of!

Possible that this laid the inner foundation deep inside me for my decision years later to do several longer journeys to the ME and North Africa, sometimes privately, sometimes for a special job. It may have paved the road for my motivation, and courage to make those steps (I was very shy and insecure as a young boy, and needed to learn to be stronger).

I wonder if this sandbox will allow me, 45 years later, to repeat that global voyage, just in a more sophisticated fashion...? That would be a stunner. I did it in Flight Sinmualtor already, FSX. Once around the globe, in short hops of 1-2 hours duration, in a Cessna Caravan mostly. But on a small boat - well, flying and sailing are not really the same things, aren't they...

If its possible, maybe I will even start a daily thread documenting my travel and adventures then. Writing on places, posting photos and warningb you when I am nearing a place where you are.

Outerra World Sandbox. Sounds fascinating to me. Lets indianajonesing around a bit.
Old 02-02-23, 09:57 AM   #28
Skybird
Soaring

Holy moly, I did not immediately see it, but now read it: Outerra "suports VR"...!
Old 02-02-23, 07:55 PM   #29
Oubaas
中国水兵

I'm looking at this, but I'm still not sure what it is, really.

But it certainly looks intriguing. I'll probably give it a try.