SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-14-19, 07:52 PM   #8461
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It is when you paid 2 bux for it... whisky - 'cause it's missin' somethin'... Scotch! lol

@ zeus: We are currently testing the next release, trying to decide on the AI Visual. The airplanes are much better now, but the ships are still sadly lacking at my settings. What s7rikeback set his to sounds better. We hope to have a guess-timate (again) tomorrow for the next one. There is nothing wrong though, with starting a career now, while you still stand a chance against aeroplanes... - and then when the new version comes out, just create another SH4 copy, and make another version of FotRSU on your computer with MultiSH4... that's not confusing, I'm sure...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-19, 07:55 AM   #8462
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
It is when you paid 2 bux for it... whisky - 'cause it's missin' somethin'... Scotch! lol

@ zeus: We are currently testing the next release, trying to decide on the AI Visual. The airplanes are much better now, but the ships are still sadly lacking at my settings. What s7rikeback set his to sounds better. We hope to have a guess-timate (again) tomorrow for the next one. There is nothing wrong though, with starting a career now, while you still stand a chance against aeroplanes... - and then when the new version comes out, just create another SH4 copy, and make another version of FotRSU on your computer with MultiSH4... that's not confusing, I'm sure...
Was there ever an address to the lack of description for officers with special abilities? Officers who have GREEN icons for special abilities have properly worded and correct descriptions of their special ability but officers with GOLD icons have short templates but no descriptions.

It does not matter where you mouse over the icon you still get the same result. It it is a Green icon and you select a specific person to see attributes and award and mouse over the green icon on them you see detailed information including the special ability.

I have seen GOLD icons for torpedo, gun, medic, but none have proper descriptions for what they mean as opposed to the green icons.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-19, 08:42 AM   #8463
propbeanie

Not that I'm aware of merc4ulfate, but we'll look into that... thank you!

Old 08-15-19, 12:47 PM   #8464
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:

No NON-AI torpedo's were hurt during this photo shoot, AI munitions only, I sat at periscope depth watching the drama unfold.

Last edited by s7rikeback; 08-15-19 at 12:56 PM.
s7rikeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-19, 09:16 PM   #8465
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Video card minimums for FOTRS-U/

Guys, the GeForce GTX970 in my pc appears to have died (Post Code 26 and no power to the video card). I can’t replace my aging Mach V until the end of the year.

Is anyone willing to recommend a replacement card adequate to run FOTRS-U at say 1920x1080 resolution and not choke on the graphic? I’m a bit short on funds according to the COB. Thanks!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 01:11 PM   #8466
propbeanie

At one point in time, I had the game running in 32-bit XP, with an AGP nVidia GT6200... I'm afraid those days are gone forever though... But I did have it running acceptably on this current computer with an ATI HD 4550 card, which was purchased for an audio workstation and does not have a cooling fan... very unimpressive, but it could run the game at 1280x1024, though I did have to turn all of the "fancy" features off to get close to 30fps... Remember, this is a DirectX v9.0c game, and it really doesn't need a whole lot of power, but the more vram, the better... I'm not "recommending" these guys, just example searches, but NewEgg Vid Cards Under $50 (current - and you can adjust the search parameters) and Best Graphics Card under $50 for Budget PC in 2019 for one fellows opinion from back in January of this year. I have no idea as to the reliability of that article. Just an example of one "source" of "information". Good luck in your hunt!

Now, let me ask you this: Did the fan fail? If so, the circuitry may have protected the GPU, and replacing the the fan might get you going again. However, I also had a "video card failure" a while back that was actually a motherboard failure. If you have another motherboard, try that video card in it, if you can, and try another video card in your current board. In my case, (literally... ), the motherboard had both cap failure, and bad solder joints. It was one of those early silver solder builds, before manufacturers realized how delicate silver solder was to the hot / cold cycles of a computer... Anyway

Old 08-16-19, 03:05 PM   #8467
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
At one point in time, I had the game running in 32-bit XP, with an AGP nVidia GT6200... I'm afraid those days are gone forever though... But I did have it running acceptably on this current computer with an ATI HD 4550 card, which was purchased for an audio workstation and does not have a cooling fan... very unimpressive, but it could run the game at 1280x1024, though I did have to turn all of the "fancy" features off to get close to 30fps... Remember, this is a DirectX v9.0c game, and it really doesn't need a whole lot of power, but the more vram, the better... I'm not "recommending" these guys, just example searches, but NewEgg Vid Cards Under $50 (current - and you can adjust the search parameters) and Best Graphics Card under $50 for Budget PC in 2019 for one fellows opinion from back in January of this year. I have no idea as to the reliability of that article. Just an example of one "source" of "information". Good luck in your hunt!

Now, let me ask you this: Did the fan fail? If so, the circuitry may have protected the GPU, and replacing the the fan might get you going again. However, I also had a "video card failure" a while back that was actually a motherboard failure. If you have another motherboard, try that video card in it, if you can, and try another video card in your current board. In my case, (literally... ), the motherboard had both cap failure, and bad solder joints. It was one of those early silver solder builds, before manufacturers realized how delicate silver solder was to the hot / cold cycles of a computer... Anyway
Good point about the MB. I have another older pc. I’ll try the card swap first, then check the sources you suggest. All I want to do is limp along until the COB gives the ok to replace all. Thanks tons for your input and time.

Old 08-17-19, 08:06 AM   #8468
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Good point about the MB. I have another older pc. I’ll try the card swap first, then check the sources you suggest. All I want to do is limp along until the COB gives the ok to replace all. Thanks tons for your input and time.
My mainboard is at least 10 years old and I run an Nvidia GTX 1050 in it. Brand new for 129.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 08-17-19, 01:23 PM   #8469
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

I honestly do not recall which mod it was, maybe TMO, but I recall in the past playing where merchants would try to steer themselves over your periscope in order to force you down. Can this be added to the mod? I get fairly close to my targets and in the middle of a group it would seem prudent to me that some of the merchants would steer over me in order to preserve themselves.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 08-17-19, 02:20 PM   #8470
propbeanie

I am trying to test that very behavior right now merc4ulfate. Part of the problem is that they have to "see" your submarine or periscope, or have a hydrophone, of which I'm not sure how many have those in FotRSU... I suppose we could take inventory of that... did Ducimus have depth charge racks on any merchants? I don't remember if he did or not... ?? - maybe that was Traveller...

Old 08-17-19, 06:03 PM   #8471
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
I am trying to test that very behavior right now merc4ulfate. Part of the problem is that they have to "see" your submarine or periscope, or have a hydrophone, of which I'm not sure how many have those in FotRSU... I suppose we could take inventory of that... did Ducimus have depth charge racks on any merchants? I don't remember if he did or not... ?? - maybe that was Traveller...
I do not recall who had depth charges but I can certainly recall being steamed over in shallow and deep water a few times. The capital ships would do it as well.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 08-17-19, 06:45 PM   #8472
propbeanie

Yeah, I tried to do a trick similar to one of the real submarine skippers, and get between a convoy and land to shoot at it... That was years ago in TMO. One of the DD saw me, charged, ran me over, and bounced me off the bottom with a ramming that destroyed my periscopes. Adding insult to injury was a merchant that followed suit immediately afterwards. I have no idea if my boat had broached after bottoming or not, but afterwards, I was in one of those infamous situations with a broken rudder and broken diesels, no periscopes, no deck gun, no torpedo tubes... and no way to get home after our salt water shower - besides not having sunk anything. I don't think we want our "enemy" as aggressive as Ducimus had his, at least not right out of the box, but we'll try to offer it as an option later. We do want planes & ships though, that can see you from further than 700 yards away.

Old 08-19-19, 08:39 AM   #8473
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Yeah, I tried to do a trick similar to one of the real submarine skippers, and get between a convoy and land to shoot at it... That was years ago in TMO. One of the DD saw me, charged, ran me over, and bounced me off the bottom with a ramming that destroyed my periscopes. Adding insult to injury was a merchant that followed suit immediately afterwards. I have no idea if my boat had broached after bottoming or not, but afterwards, I was in one of those infamous situations with a broken rudder and broken diesels, no periscopes, no deck gun, no torpedo tubes... and no way to get home after our salt water shower - besides not having sunk anything. I don't think we want our "enemy" as aggressive as Ducimus had his, at least not right out of the box, but we'll try to offer it as an option later. We do want planes & ships though, that can see you from further than 700 yards away.
Is there a way to set aggressiveness and have it adjusted in a time frame?

Meaning if the AI have an aggression factor of 1-10, 1 being the weakest, and in 1941 it is set at 2-3 could it be made to increase months later to a peak of ten and then back down later in the war to mimic the lack of ASW and aggression towards submarines but then it got better later in the war only to slide back off near wars end due to the heavy losses IJN suffered so they would rather pull away than risk a loss with a fight?

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 08-19-19, 05:20 PM   #8474
propbeanie

Well, and their manpower pool was thinned-out a bit too much. They couldn't keep up with the training for having to replace people... But yes, each layer as the game stood a while back, had an ever-increasing level of AI at the campaign file layer, such that a DD associated with a Task Force was generally going to be top-notch, while a DE with a small convoy was generally "competent". As time progressed, their "skill levels" would increase, and you would fiind more and more of higher levels. We had to throw that out the window to "stabilize" the AI. We are currently trying to fine-tune their behavior.

You will also notice traffic pattern changes as the game advances, and near the end of the war, you may have to go in close to the Chinese coast to find targets - of course, you do have to look-out for the minefields... just sayin'... - they will attempt to get their food and fuel home one way or the other. You might also notice freighters going sky-high with av-gas explosions long about 1945...

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-19-19 at 05:32 PM. Reason: A mine is a terrible thing to waste...
Old 08-19-19, 05:41 PM   #8475
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Default No Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Sadly, after 9 years of faithful service my Mach V finally bit the dust. I tried a new 1000 watt power supply and a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1660 video card only to find the video component on the motherboard was dead. so, today, with the reluctant approval of my COB, I went all-in and ordered a new Falcon Northwest 20th Anniversary Edition Talon. It should be in port around Sept. 5 or so. Until then I’m on a desk job I guess. See you all then.