Old 08-20-19, 05:33 AM   #10681
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I wonder if my British friends will be here among us after Oct. 31

Reading some of those doomsday prediction(Danish and Swedish), give the impression -Britain will go down the drain if they leave EU without a deal

Markus
There are a lot more Brits living in the EU than EU citizens living in the UK Markus and that should be the major worry.

Whichever way it eventually pans out though, I doubt the UK will be going 'down the drain'

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 08-20-19, 05:46 AM   #10682
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Whichever way it eventually pans out though, I doubt the UK will be going 'down the drain'
Of this I am still quite certain, although the immediate future will now be more difficult than was necessary because you started serious preparations so late. Difficult it always appeared to become int he short and medium future, but in the long run...

And once the core meltdown of the Euro can no longer be hidden from the public perception, it may pay off not to be a member of the EU and Euro regimes. Very possible that then EU citizens will envy you and other states that are not fully associated with the Euro, EU.

Germany will get the biggest smacking since WW2. Every reasonable man should know that the more money somebody owes you, the more power he has over you. The power is with the lender, not the creditor. And the ammount of credits leased away by Germany without any real securities, can turn me desperate. And furious. I so very much hope we just would write off the credits we gave and count them as losses, whcih they will be anyway, and just follow your exmaple and turn away from the EU and especially the Euro. Better an end with shock, than terror without end.

So, after these almost three years, my sympathies still are with Britain in all this Brexit daily soap.
Old 08-20-19, 06:52 AM   #10683
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

We'll weather the storm Sky, at a cost I admit but hopefully the future will be bright.

It is not the Germans I am most weary of but this wee fellow below.

Old 08-20-19, 08:04 AM   #10684
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

I see at long last Bojo has sent the EU a letter on the backstop saying it must go and the EU saying no it will not but....

Seems to suggest the ball is back in Bojo's court to come up with something. So far not a jot from Bojo, time is running out.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 08-20-19, 08:14 AM   #10685
STEED
Lucky Jack

Jihadi Jack ban from returning to the UK has said he will not live in a country govern by Bojo....

Well that has shut up the bleeding heart liberals saying he should be allowed back.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 08-20-19, 09:06 AM   #10686
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Pistols at dawn.

Old 08-20-19, 10:59 AM   #10687
kraznyi_oktjabr
Sea Lord

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
I see at long last Bojo has sent the EU a letter on the backstop saying it must go and the EU saying no it will not but....

Seems to suggest the ball is back in Bojo's court to come up with something. So far not a jot from Bojo, time is running out.
We have heard a lot of 'remove backstop' from BoJo and his fellas. Now could we hear what would be the alternative?

No?

Wonder why...
Old 08-20-19, 11:15 AM   #10688
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznyi_oktjabr View Post
We have heard a lot of 'remove backstop' from BoJo and his fellas. Now could we hear what would be the alternative?

No?

Wonder why...
Thus far nobody has been able to suggest what alternatives there could be other than commenting 'alternative arrangements' whatever that is supposed to mean.

Old 08-20-19, 02:08 PM   #10689
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
British ministers and officials will boycott most European Union meetings from September 1, the Government announced today.

They will use the “incredible amount of time” saved to focus on future relationship with the EU and other countries – including trade deals.

Ministers will only attend big summits and those covering essential interests like security. The rest will be ignored, sending a clear message that Britain is serious about quitting at the end of October.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...id=mailsignout
First service

Old 08-21-19, 06:46 AM   #10690
STEED
Lucky Jack

Money money we have less money but Bojo will save us planting more money trees.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49418751

And HS2 is also looking bleak.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49420332

Is the ground Bojo walking on showing cracks now.

Old 08-21-19, 06:49 AM   #10691
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Boris Johnson will meet German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Berlin later, where he is expected to reiterate his call for the Irish border backstop plan to be scrapped.

The PM has said the arrangement to avoid a hard border after Brexit is "anti-democratic" and must be removed to secure a deal.

But the EU has rejected the possibility of any changes to the backstop.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49416475
Whilst I believe Merkel will be a little bit more sympathetic than Macron I still don't see any concessions resulting from this visit.

Old 08-22-19, 06:12 AM   #10692
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Boris Johnson is to meet Emmanuel Macron shortly, hours after the French president insisted reopening Brexit negotiations was "not an option".

Mr Macron said: "We have to help the British deal with this internal democratic crisis but we mustn't be hostage to it nor export it."

On Wednesday, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said the onus was on the UK to find a workable plan.

Mr Johnson said a deal could be achieved with "sufficient patience".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49427007
I thought Merkel was refreshingly pragmatic at yesterdays meeting.

Old 08-22-19, 06:16 AM   #10693
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Boris Johnson’s Britain could become a ‘vassal’ of Donald Trump’s America after a no-deal Brexit, French president Emmanuel Macron has warned.

Ahead of their meeting in Paris, Macron appeared to taunt the prime minister by suggesting Johnson’s much-sought after UK-US trade deal would nowhere near make up for the loss of trade with the EU.

The warning that the UK would become an offshoot of the United States was a direct jibe at Brexiteers including the PM, who have often claimed that Theresa May’s Brexit deal would turn the UK into a ‘vassal state’ of Brussels.

In an explosive set of remarks hours before the meeting at the Elysee Palace, Macron also seemed to goad British MPs into stopping Brexit in coming weeks, stating that it could be stopped ‘up to the last second’ before the planned departure date of October 31.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexi...id=mailsignout
Not so much this man and this coming from him only a few hours before the meeting is about to take place

I think it would be wise for Boris to put on a yellow vest and frighten the bugga into submission

Old 08-22-19, 07:40 AM   #10694
kraznyi_oktjabr
Sea Lord

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Not so much this man and this coming from him only a few hours before the meeting is about to take place

I think it would be wise for Boris to put on a yellow vest and frighten the bugga into submission
Absolutely undiplomatic comments at inappropriate time. However its always nice to hear when someone in such position gives BoJo his own medicine.
Old 08-22-19, 08:00 AM   #10695
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznyi_oktjabr View Post
Absolutely undiplomatic comments at inappropriate time. However its always nice to hear when someone in such position gives BoJo his own medicine.
On the contrary it would appear.

During the meeting Macron was more conciliatory in his tone than many expected.

Quote:
The handshake between the PM and the president was warm and long-lasting. But it was the words which mattered.

President Macron said that, while he had been portrayed as the "hard boy" of the EU, he was simply being clear about where he stood.

He described the backstop both as an "indispensable guarantee" of "stability in Ireland" and the means of protecting the integrity of the European single market.

But the expectation that he'd refuse point-blank to renegotiate the Brexit deal didn't materialise.

Instead, he simply warned that any withdrawal agreement that the two sides might reach in the next month wouldn't be very different from the existing one. And he asked for more "visibility" from the UK on its alternative proposals.

It would seem that both Mr Macron and Angela Merkel are determined not to shut the door entirely in Boris Johnson's face, and perhaps equally determined not to be blamed for no deal.

Speaking after he greeted Mr Johnson at Paris's Elysee Palace, Mr Macron said he was "very much confident" that the UK and EU would be able to find a solution within 30 days - a timetable suggested by Mrs Merkel - "if there is a good will on both sides".

He said it would not be possible to find a new withdrawal agreement "very different from the existing one" within that time, but added that an answer could be reached "without reshuffling" the current deal.

He also denied that he was the "hard boy in the band", following suggestions that he would be tougher on the UK than his German counterpart.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49427007

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics