Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-12-11, 04:14 PM   #1
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default Aces of the Deep refueling

I was playing around last night, just testing various details about how the game was programmed.

I tried running aground to see what kind of damage I would sustain. I stayed surfaced and manned the AA guns when a plane was sighted. He dropped his bombs, failed to damage me and just kept flying above me in circles. He called his friends and soon I had about six planes around me. None of them could sink me, but I couldn't shoot any of them down either. Not even after several hours.

I noticed that if you travel with your engines in reverse you burn through fuel extremely fast. I wanted to see what would happen when I finally ran out. When I got very low my crew said I should contact BdU. So I did. And BdU told me to rendezvous with another U-boat. Interesting.

I went ahead and plotted a course for the rendezvous point, and I could even see a yellow square where the other U-boat was supposed to be.

I could never make contact with him though. I just kept chasing his yellow square on the navigational map. I never made visual contact with him on the tactical chart. Very strange.

Had anyone tried to refuel? Any success? I suspect that this aspect of the game was left unfinished for some reason.
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 06:08 PM   #2
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsuarez View Post
I was playing around last night, just testing various details about how the game was programmed.

I tried running aground to see what kind of damage I would sustain.
Funny but I used this same excuse the last time I ran aground but nobody bought it...

Seriously though, interesting observations thanks for sharing!
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 01:30 AM   #3
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28

Well, I did a little more testing and the refueling does work.

The reason it wasn't working for me was probably because I was playing off of a corrupted save file. I corrupted the save file myself while I was trying to give my commander a type XXI.

I was bored and didn't feel like playing "for real." It's a little bit of work to play this game with realism in mind. Especially when you are starting your career in '44 and using dead-is-dead rules for yourself. I just have to be in the right state of mind to play this game properly. It takes a lot patience and some determination this late in the war.
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 03:34 AM   #4
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Glad to hear you got it straightened out kgsuarez.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-21, 09:52 AM   #5
Silent Otto
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I went ahead and plotted a course for the rendezvous point, and I could even see a yellow square where the other U-boat was supposed to be.

I could never make contact with him though. I just kept chasing his yellow square on the navigational map. I never made visual contact with him on the tactical chart. Very strange.

Had anyone tried to refuel? Any success? I suspect that this aspect of the game was left unfinished for some reason.

This is an old post but thought I would add my 2 cents for others that might be interested.

RE: CAOD

I remember years ago running short of fuel near the New York area of operation and upon reporting my fuel status to BDU (it was in the red and I had received the crew notification that fuel was low) they directed me to a milk cow some distance away.

The first time, I seen the contact on screen but it moved and I lost it in low visibility. Returned home by running on the surface at 2/3.

The second time I had the opportunity to rendezvous with a refueling U-boat, I actually made contact. You get close on the map and it "just happens", nothing to write home about. It's a disappointment!

I was expecting, wow a milk cow! I can top off fuel and torpedo's and double my score...NOT! No torpedo's get added and the amount of fuel is such that you are still in the top portion of the red and have enough to get home. I haven't bothered since and plan my fuel expenditures accordingly like my First Officer would have demanded anyway.
Old 01-05-22, 04:09 PM   #6
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Otto View Post

This is an old post but thought I would add my 2 cents for others that might be interested.

RE: CAOD

I remember years ago running short of fuel near the New York area of operation and upon reporting my fuel status to BDU (it was in the red and I had received the crew notification that fuel was low) they directed me to a milk cow some distance away.

The first time, I seen the contact on screen but it moved and I lost it in low visibility. Returned home by running on the surface at 2/3.

The second time I had the opportunity to rendezvous with a refueling U-boat, I actually made contact. You get close on the map and it "just happens", nothing to write home about. It's a disappointment!

I was expecting, wow a milk cow! I can top off fuel and torpedo's and double my score...NOT! No torpedo's get added and the amount of fuel is such that you are still in the top portion of the red and have enough to get home. I haven't bothered since and plan my fuel expenditures accordingly like my First Officer would have demanded anyway.

I missed this post first time around;
- yes, that is how the refueling from a u-tanker works; you get close and it occurs automatically.
- regarding torpedoes, it was a real challenge irl and was very much the exception vs. the rule that refueling boats also got torpedoes.