Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-20, 01:47 PM   #31
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
the default cameras.cam from tdw's i think is for 8:5 ration and that one work perfectly and i think not sure but tdw edited all cam rezolution...if nope then i must look where i have my all resolution patches and i'll send it to u... Manos 100% sure nut sure about large optics....
From my testing, resolution patches (or angular angle settings in cameras.cam file) are completely irrelevant for sextant. If I measure altitude by moving uzo/sextant up, the results are always the same and that is what is confusing me. I even if I set some abnormal values for UZO angular angle in cameras.cam file, I still get the same results. For now I can only conclude that either I'm doing something wrong or sun position in the sky is approximately 1deg "lower" that in should be.

Large optics mod is just different (bigger scope circle) dds texture for scopes. It has it's own set of resolution patches but like I sad, It appears that these aren't effecting sextant measurements. For example, manos scopes resolution patches should work just fine with large optics and sextant.

Quote:
local noon when the sun is the highest on the sky...yea local nautical time...
And It's almost never at 12.00 PM exacty, right? That guy from YT sad that local noon when measurement should be done is when the sun is due north or south of you. this means 180 or 0 deg of true azimuth from our position? Did I understood this correctly?

Sorry for annoyances Sjizzle but this celestial stuff really starts to fascinates me... Cheers!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-20, 04:33 PM   #32
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489
Uploads: 0

Icon10

The sun at its highest point (LAN or local apparent noon) will be on your meridian i.e. directly north or south, that’s correct.

I really hope this gets sorted out - watching with bated breath here!

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 09:15 AM   #33
vdr1981
Navy Seal

OK Captains, I think I got it...

I noticed that if I aim for top of the sun if the sun is south of me and/or aim for bottom of the sun if the sun is north of me(talking about local noon when sun is on my meridian), my calculations will be very accurate withing 5-10km of my real latitude, which is quite good IMO.

Now, I'm not sure is this due to some kind of sextant error or due to slight sun deviation in SH world but I'm pretty much sure that it isn't due to my measurements.

Tested this on various locations and different dates all around northern hemisphere and the results are pretty consistent.
Old 01-14-20, 04:35 AM   #34
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Still WIP though...

Old 01-14-20, 09:08 AM   #35
Wolfcat
Chief

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Just a related question. I keep getting radio messages about events taking place at certain coordinates. But how do I find coordinates on nav map? Like they say some German ships got attacked at 50’ west 29’ north. How do I find that coordinates on map so that I can probably lend a hand.
Wolfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-20, 10:55 AM   #36
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
Just a related question. I keep getting radio messages about events taking place at certain coordinates. But how do I find coordinates on nav map? Like they say some German ships got attacked at 50’ west 29’ north. How do I find that coordinates on map so that I can probably lend a hand.
Explore the available charts and you'll find what you're looking for, maps and map tools and speed conversion sections...

Last edited by vdr1981; 01-15-20 at 12:37 PM.