SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-27-20, 07:26 AM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default AI subs dive or this just a a fluke ?

USS Pollack SS-180
Porpoise Class
Transferred to Brisbane after first patrol
Departed for assigned area off Truk on July 20 1942
TMO 2.5

While in en route via Solomon Sea a surfaced IJN submarine came into view just after dawn. SJ radar did not make contact.Managed to slip ahead undetected and dove off projected track on silent running. Submarine came into view making 15 knots. From 1100 yards fired three Mark 14 torpedoes. Two prematurely exploded 50 yards or less from target. The submarine was able to avoid the third torpedo, barely. As it passed just ahead of the bow, the magnetic exploder was triggered. The sub's engines stopped, seems the shock wave damaged the sub(?). Set up to fire fourth bow torpedo, on final observation saw it pick up speed, so held to adjust solution. Sub's engines started up again and began fleeing at high speed but seemed to be going under, "diving" (AI subs cant dive in SH 4, likely taking on water due to damaged hull from the close torpedo explosion). Adjusted speed, fired fourth torpedo. The sub's conning tower was under as torpedo passed over and exploded. Sound could still hear the sub's props. As I recently added AI torpedo mod to IJN subs (not sure if works yet) was worried about torpedoes, so ordered 250 feet and evasive movement. Lost contact with sub soon after. No credit in log for sunken submarine.

I realize it is most likely the sub suffered damage , took on water and a glitch caused me not to receive credit. Which is fine, call it fog of war, inconclusive attack on IJN submarine. Howeve, pretty intense encountered. Especially since I added the AI torpedo mod to AI subs (not sure if it works yet) so torpedoes being fired at me is a possibility,.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-20, 10:31 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

They do not have the capability to dive in SH4. If you encountered the Ko-Hyoteki midget sub, those things "push" themselves under, as they attempt to give you chase. Rather scary. One of the fellows that used to broadcast his SH4 play encountered one in FotRSU off Tsugaru Strait in the bay, and as he approached, the sub turned toward him and charged like a bull. The speed of the boat seemed to push it under to about 20-30 foot, and it kept circling the player's boat, trying to gain a shooting solution. The midget eventually kept pushing itself down and down and ... then it was gone... We somewhat fixed its damage zon file in FotRSU, but the goofy thing will still bounce off the docks and go flying through the air when you hit it with a torpedo yourself... btw, the Lifeboat does the same thing. crazy.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-20, 08:58 AM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
They do not have the capability to dive in SH4. If you encountered the Ko-Hyoteki midget sub, those things "push" themselves under, as they attempt to give you chase. Rather scary. One of the fellows that used to broadcast his SH4 play encountered one in FotRSU off Tsugaru Strait in the bay, and as he approached, the sub turned toward him and charged like a bull. The speed of the boat seemed to push it under to about 20-30 foot, and it kept circling the player's boat, trying to gain a shooting solution. The midget eventually kept pushing itself down and down and ... then it was gone... We somewhat fixed its damage zon file in FotRSU, but the goofy thing will still bounce off the docks and go flying through the air when you hit it with a torpedo yourself... btw, the Lifeboat does the same thing. crazy.

I figured. Seems sub was damaged by the imoluse from the torpedo detonation and likely caused compartments to flood, thus the "dive" but since no actual torpedo impact, game did not register a hit thus no credit.

I have encountered the midget sub as well. Given that sub, the sen toku in stock and fact in mission edito you can set its depth to submerged, believe devs planned to add AI subs but in end omitted it, big omission though. Would have added a lot to game to be sailing along and then like how a plane is reported, "periscope spotted" and have to make moves to avoid torpedoes.

I have yet to encounter the AI subs in FOTRS. Really want to add torpedo firing AI subs to TMO.

I have reworked the sub layers in TMO. Every IJN submarine lost to US subs is represented at historical time and location of loss as well as depart dates. They do "dive" by hitting last waypoint then respawn elsewhere. Those sunk due to Ultra messages to us subs afloat, have included the messages to show up and alert the player.

Also included some random subs traveling about for random encounters, but remain rare to find one.

Still cant get them to show up on SJ radar display(do they show up and reported by crew in FOTRS) but added radar to them in later war, so much how Batfish found her three subs sunk in feb 45, player can be alerted. Also most crew rating is set to vet or elite so are not easy targets.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-20, 10:23 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I like the enemy subs in FotRSU. They definitely add a level of worry to a skippers travels about the Pacific, don't they?... lol I have a submerged JyunsenB of a mix of keltos01's sub, CapnScurvy and strikeback's tunings, and then my making it submerged and able to travel while submerged, which is something that lurcker_hlb3 did in OM, and is where I got the idea from. Since CapnScurvy and s7rikeback worked on it, it does have the capability of shooting torpedoes at the player, but it is NOT active in the mod, but will be a future add-in mod here in a few months. I put one in several test missions, and really liked it. You can see the torpedo wakes, which for the most part, you could not with the IJN's use of alcohol as their fuel, but since there isn't any "incoming torpedo" warning in the game, being able to see the wake, and the use of the External Camera to see a launch are the only warnings you get. The big problem with a submerged AI sub is the fact that it is actually still just a submerged surface ship, and since the water and the landscape are just "scenery" and don't actually block any AI view, the AI subs are visible to enemy DD and airplanes, and are attacked with surface weapons, such as 5" dual-purpose guns, 16" turrets on the Missouri, etc., which is similar to what you'll see with ships that shoot torpedoes are launching them at airplanes in FotRSU... I think I may have come up with a work-a-round to that, but I have not tested that out yet...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-20, 12:17 AM   #5
Captain Prise
Seaman

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0

Shame it would have been really great if other susbs were able to dive. Is there any mod that can mak AI subs dive or other boats use torpedoes?
Captain Prise is offline   Reply With Quote