SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-29-20, 03:20 PM   #1
jericho791
A-ganger

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Multiplayer

Sorry if this has been asked before, and answered. I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for.

I was curious if there is any way to play SH4 multiplayer if you aren't doing a Lan game. I know Ubi.com is not active, so I figured there must be some way to redirect the MP interface to the IP of the person you are trying to play.

I read something about Evolve, but it wasn't clear what it did, or if it was the answer to what I am asking.
USS Annapolis (SSN 760)
USS Oklahoma City (SSN 723)
USS Mississippi (SSN 782) Plank Owner
USS Hartford (SSN 768)
USS San Juan (SSN 751)

jericho791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-20, 10:52 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You could use any of the game servers available, and schedule sessions online with friends. I do not know of an organized "flotilla" at this time, though I do think some of the SH3 groups are still active. The biggest drawback (besides finding the time for it), is that everyone has to have the same, exact mod and game set-up, else there will be issues with gameplay.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-20, 12:09 PM   #3
jericho791
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You could use any of the game servers available, and schedule sessions online with friends. I do not know of an organized "flotilla" at this time, though I do think some of the SH3 groups are still active. The biggest drawback (besides finding the time for it), is that everyone has to have the same, exact mod and game set-up, else there will be issues with gameplay.

Game servers? Could you elaborate? I Just wanted to be able to play with my sons. They love Silent Hunter 4, and the last time they were over, we played a couple adversarial, and then some co-op. Had a blast! But we were using Lan game. If they are at their house, I don't know how we could do it.
USS Annapolis (SSN 760)
USS Hartford (SSN 768)
USS San Juan (SSN 751)

Old 07-30-20, 01:33 PM   #4
propbeanie

I am not too familiar with them, but my sons used to use LogMeIn Hamachi for their Minecraft games with their buddies. One person is the "server", with ports on the computer open just for the game connections. Those that want to play then use the Hamachi client app and connect to you. Some of those type of programs are "freeware", some are pay, but I am not certain which are which, and if maybe one is maybe better than another.

There is of course, some inherent "danger" in opening ports for the server, but with a good firewall, and closing the ports when not playing, you should be fine. My sons used to play SH4 with me, but alas, I scared them off by sinking them too often... lol

Old 07-31-20, 09:18 AM   #5
4H_Ccrashh
Helmsman

Downloads: 469

I've tried using Hamchi and Log-me-in. I know they work for some games like minecraft. I have successfully hosted ARMA3 games through both of the afore mentioned services.

I have yet to get Silent Hunter 3/4/5 to work multiplayer through these connections.

If anyone has been successful in getting them to work please post a detailed instruction manual on how to do it.
4H_Ccrashh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-20, 09:31 AM   #6
jericho791
A-ganger

Yesterday I as was looking at the multiplayer.act file with a hex editor to see if that had anything to do with it. There are multiple references to ubi.com servers in there, but there are a lot. I am not versed in the use of the hex editor, so I wouldn't try to make changes that way, but it looks like where you would do it.

I seems that there would need to be some kind of entry window that would have to be made where you would enter the IP address of the host, and then recode the multiplayer.act file to use that IP address in order to play multiplayer games through the internet.

That is completely beyond my ability and, since it involves editing an .act file, would not be shareable here, as I understand it.
USS Annapolis (SSN 760)
USS Hartford (SSN 768)
USS San Juan (SSN 751)

Old 07-31-20, 10:15 AM   #7
propbeanie

Here's an example "hit" I got with a "Search"

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...15#post1124615

from 2009 though, so some of the links referenced will not be active any longer. but port forwarding is the key. There are more "modern" posts on the site here about doing this, but I apparently did not use good terms in my search...

btw, use your search engine (duckduckgo, google, bing, whatever) with "site:subsim.com/radioroom SearchTerm1 SearchTerm2..." and see what you see...