SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-18-20, 07:30 AM   #1831
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The Tambor comes with a bow-mounted deck gun. If you had previously moved it though, it should still move back. Always check your crew page after doing anything with the guns. An upgrade to a new boat is an unknown quantity after moving guns... As for a Gato with no gun and a 50 cal, it should come "new" in June 1942 with a 20mm single and a Bow-mount 3". Had you moved the Gar boat's gun though? and had you moved your crew off of the gun positions prior to docking? The Gato shows being available April 20, 1942 at Midway, and has missions.

For both of you though, need the mod lists...
I had the exact same experience with a brand-new Balao out of Midway, but I have no details saved - it came with no deck gun and only a .50 Cal AA gun. Alas, I deleted that career after being sunk by a vicious IJN DD . I thought it strange at the time but figured the team had decided that deck guns were virtually useless against armed anything so had dropped them. Now I see that it may not have been deliberate! Have fun with this one!

Oh, and I can assure you that I had not tried to move a deck gun on any boat in that or any previous career since around Version 1. Just took it as it came. And there were zero crew slots for a deck gun.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 08:02 AM   #1832
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Default Another small glitch - Recog Manual vs Ship

While transiting to a patrol area (naturally, I didn't record the details) I came across a freighter identified by my crew as a Medium Heavy Load Freighter. Wanting to confirm the ID, I brought up the same entry in the Recognition Manual. To my surprise there is a significant difference between the vessel pictured in the manual and the one I was looking at in the scope.

The one in the manual shows a ship with the superstructure built on the stern, not unlike a tanker. The one I was seeing in the scope had a central superstructure and looked considerably different overall.

Not a biggie in the great scheme of FOTRSU, but still...

Old 09-18-20, 08:05 AM   #1833
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Do you happen to remember the mod load-outs, such as whether you had a patch applied or not, and maybe the approximate dates of the incidents torpedobait?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 08:16 AM   #1834
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Downloads: 5

Torpedobait - according to Names.cfg the "Medium Heavy Load Freighter" should be associated with the NL_C vessel.

Roster/Japan/Sea/NL_C.cfg says it uses the NL_C model.

The NL_C model in my new silhouettes looks like this (apart form the paint job - I just picked the _T01 skin)...
Old 09-18-20, 08:51 AM   #1835
propbeanie

In the "fog of war", things get missed, and this is a case in point. The NL_C 3D model in the dat looks like this

and the NL_B looks like this

The Names.cfg lines are
NL_B=Medium Cooler
NL_C=Medium Heavy Load Freighter
So, we are in fact, missing the NL_C sil in FotRSU. We'll see if DanielCoffey can get us a new one.

btw, is that "Cooler" designation supposed to be "Collier"?? for a coal hauler?... lol

Old 09-18-20, 09:03 AM   #1836
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Hmm... looks like it may be my fault then with a cut and paste error. I will look into the NLK_B and NL_C models.
Old 09-18-20, 09:28 AM   #1837
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Merchant Pack 02 updated in the main Silhouettes thread with a new NL_C model. Dimensions remain the same.

I had forgotten to move the "cabina" block forward to its Z coordinate so it ended up looking just like the NL_B instead.

By the way, only 8 Battleships (out of 28) left to do but feeling pretty frazzled today as I managed to do three of them back to back.
Old 09-18-20, 09:34 AM   #1838
propbeanie

"No biggie", as we used to say as a kid. Of course, we used to also say "far out, man", "right on", "that's hip, bro", etc... lol - but we do have an updated version set to go out the door with the v2 Shinano in it, and we're waiting on replies from torpedobait, jldjs and WH4K about their recent gun reports, so we have time to wait on a good sil file. I am beginning to think though, that what we thought was a compatible update ain't so "compatible", and whacks the Save folder data...

Old 09-18-20, 09:35 AM   #1839
DanielCoffey
Planesman

NL_C sil is done for you
Old 09-18-20, 11:06 AM   #1840
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
The Tambor comes with a bow-mounted deck gun. If you had previously moved it though, it should still move back. Always check your crew page after doing anything with the guns. An upgrade to a new boat is an unknown quantity after moving guns... As for a Gato with no gun and a 50 cal, it should come "new" in June 1942 with a 20mm single and a Bow-mount 3". Had you moved the Gar boat's gun though? and had you moved your crew off of the gun positions prior to docking? The Gato shows being available April 20, 1942 at Midway, and has missions.

For both of you though, need the mod lists...
My MOD list is added to my post #1828. After installing the v1.21p_EN and using MultiSH4 to create new Save folder I started my campaign in January '42 from Midway on a Gar. After 3 or 4 patrols mostly to East China Sea, and returning to Midway May 6, my next patrol left Midway on May 26 '42 for Hokkaido area but I diverted NW to intercept the Jap carrier TF. Sank two carriers and returned to Midway June 4, ended patrol and accepted a new sub, a Gato, but noticed it had no deckgun. The Gar had a 3" stern mount and I did not try to move it to the bow. There were no crew on the gun when ending the patrol. I have a Save before and after entering Midway June 4. But, just to continue with this campaign, I reran ending my patrol and declined the new sub and continued with the Gar with same load out but with a 20mm replacing the 50 cal MG.
I await further orders and remain you humble servant even though I did alter history by sinking the Hiryu and Kaga carriers and should at a minimum get another deck gun
Old 09-18-20, 11:34 AM   #1841
propbeanie

Tired, old eyes, and I might be missing it, but do you have vickers03's patch applied? See Post 141 of Fleetboat Interior: Officers Quarters. FotRSU v1.2 has updated gun mounts in the upc file that we neglected for vickers03's mod (originally written for v1.001), hence that patch. Let me know please, if you were indeed missing that.

Edit: Also, for those doing extra mods, it would be best to put all of your "FotRSU 'Authorized' Mods" in the list first, those that come with the mod in the Extras folder. Then put the add-in mods that you are experimenting with, then do Vickers' interior 2nd to the last, and his patch last. Try to see and note which files are overwritten by the extra add-in mods. We know that the extra clickable items on the tracking table in FotRSU are overwritten by vickers' mod, but no loss there, other than convenience. However, his mod does have a upc file for each interior, so you need to apply his patch last then... That way, it's also easier to "see" any adverse effect from the "experimental" mods, or if they get overwritten. In other words
1. FotRSU
2. Patch
3. Extra FotRSU mods
4. Your extra mods - pay attention to what happens with them & what they over-write
5. Vickers Interior
6. Vickers Patch

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-18-20 at 11:57 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-18-20, 03:01 PM   #1842
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Ahh, patch you say! whaaa

No I haven’t patched the Vickers interior mod. I’ll look for it.

EDIT:
I got the patch with the Sub UPC files. If I JSGME it in can I go back to my Save prior to ending patrol in Midway will it allow me to take the new Gato sub with deck mounted gun or I also need to something else?

Last edited by jldjs; 09-18-20 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-18-20, 07:15 PM   #1843
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
No I haven’t patched the Vickers interior mod. I’ll look for it.

EDIT:
I got the patch with the Sub UPC files. If I JSGME it in can I go back to my Save prior to ending patrol in Midway will it allow me to take the new Gato sub with deck mounted gun or I also need to something else?
only if you are in port between missions.

never ever ever change mods or mod order while you are at sea on a mission.
changing mods while you are at sea on a mission is a surefire way to get CTDs.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 07:35 PM   #1844
propbeanie

I am inclined to agree with KaleunMarco, jldjs... There are a couple of options though. First, copy and safeguard your Save folder, like if you have it named FRS or whatever in MultiSH4, then copy it and move it to a different folder, but name it something memorable, so you do NOT lose it for this crazy experiment... You could either try what you suggest then with the other, copied file-set as a "safe-guard" (remember though, it does probably have "corrupt" data in it...), but you will most likely either crash while loading, or while entering the sub. If you try that first and it fails, delete from "data" on down in your current Save folder, and bring back in the "safe-guarded" copy from "data" on down.

Come on in to port, and dock. Accept your new boat. Once back in the office, save and exit. Do NOT look at your new boat, do not go on patrol, etc. Now apply the patch. Start the game again and look at your new boat. Does it have a gun? If it does, fantastic. If not, look at your system clock and note the time, and make a new Save, different name of course, and exit the game. Go into the Saved game files and find the timestamp for the latest save folder, then use either the "ColetrainsAndOthersDGfix.pdf" file, as found in the Support folder of the FotRSU mod, or KaleunMarco's package, as previously linked. See if you can get gun positions back that way. If not, it is probably hosed... sorry. You could attempt to go on a short "training" patrol that goes outside the "home port" area (go beyond the green circle and for at least 24 hours) and see what happens when you dock the 2nd time and then come back into the game.

A third option would be to copy that "safe-guarded" Save data back in to the Save folder, and come into port and dock. Refuse the new boat. Once in the Captain's Office, exit the game and apply the officer country patch. Now re-start and do some more patrols, and accept the new boat the next time you are asked, and see what happens then. Be sure you are saving each time you come in, and to a new name each time...

Let us know though, how it goes for you!

Old 09-19-20, 05:19 AM   #1845
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Do you happen to remember the mod load-outs, such as whether you had a patch applied or not, and maybe the approximate dates of the incidents torpedobait?
This won't be very helpful, I'm afraid. Mod load outs I do remember, because I haven't changed them in months (see below) except for the new releases and patches. I always apply patches when they are released, but I don't remember if it was the "p" mod, or 1.2, or 1.21. It was fairly recent. Also, I did not ever just apply the patch or updates while in the office. I always delete the old SH4 files and start a new career for the latest version.

I'm thinking it was probably in the version just before "p" because I had it long enough to move my career up through a Sargo, Tambor, Gato, and then the Balao. That takes at least 10 patrols. I always started 12/8/41 out of Manila, then Surabaya, then Perth/Fremantle. No transfers; no changes to deck gun placement, no changes to crew as to a deck gun. The new Balao just didn't have one.

Current Mod List:
100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.21pv02_E N
101_Palawan_Fix
399_NoScrollNavMap
449_FOTRSU Umark Removal
450_Lite Fog v2 + 300' Underwater Visability
901_strategic_map_symbols

Like I said, I don't remember which Edition I was using; probably v1.2 or v1.21. Btw, the 449 and 450 mods are not FOTRSU recognized mods, but I've uses them for over a year. They are strictly environmental mods.

Last edited by torpedobait; 09-19-20 at 05:39 AM.