SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-17-21, 11:48 AM   #1
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default GFO mod users - what are your complaints, dislikes, and requests

the title says it all - GFO mod users complaints, dislikes, and requests

i want to hear what you dont like about it and what doesnt work or has issues as well as what you would like to see added to it

im trying to put a list together of issues and things so f i do and updated GFO

but keep in mind the core theme of GFO is just fixing the known bugs and issues with the gae rather then change the dificulty, game play, or customizing the game

Last edited by Webster; 07-17-21 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-17-21, 02:05 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
the title says it all - GFO mod users complaints, dislikes, and requests

i want to hear what you dont like about it and what doesnt work or has issues as well as what you would like to see added to it

im trying to put a list together of issues and things so f i do and updated GFO

but keep in mind the core theme of GFO is just fixing the known bugs and issues with the game rather then change the difficulty, game play, or customizing the game
welcome back to the fight, Herr Webster.
it has been a long time since i played the Stock game, however S7rikeback and PB have fixed a lot of Stock bugs with the current release of FOTRS-Ultimate.
you may want to peruse their list of changed items and then make a short list of what you want to fix in GFO.

as i have done with Fifi and Dark Waters and PB & S7rikeback with FOTRSU, i'll offer my assistance if you see a need for an additional role in your development.

either way, good luck!

km

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-21, 03:21 PM   #3
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
welcome back to the fight, Herr Webster.
it has been a long time since i played the Stock game, however S7rikeback and PB have fixed a lot of Stock bugs with the current release of FOTRS-Ultimate.
you may want to peruse their list of changed items and then make a short list of what you want to fix in GFO.

as i have done with Fifi and Dark Waters and PB & S7rikeback with FOTRSU, i'll offer my assistance if you see a need for an additional role in your development.

either way, good luck!

km

thanks, it would appear though that few people even use these forums much any more. i guess SH4 is not as popular as it once was

if no one is interested in it, then i may not even bother with an official redo of GFO
Old 07-18-21, 03:41 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I for one would be most interested in an update. I have no wishes though, and no real complaints either about what you had. I do know that a couple of the torpedo updates do not function if you have an S-Boat, but I don't use those add-ins anyway... I do like the way THEBERBSTER did an update with the mod load order, which makes it much easier for a beginner, or the older generation who can't seem to follow instructions so well... - s7rikeback is going through the files of what we (mostly he) did when preparing things for an OM update, but which rolled into Fifi's Dark Waters, if we (again, he) can sort through the Stock game fixes he had. There was not much left to fix after your mod, and it seems to me to be two ships had small issues, and a few of the load-outs for planes were not right - bone stock issues.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-21, 04:08 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar Re: Update... GFO...

Ahoy, Webster...

Reading up on GFO, would be interested in update for it, with regards to compatibility with FotRS, OM: DW v6 or even with KSD II, as these are SH4 mod versions I run with.. so Yes, I would be very much interested in it being updated... to include those for it. Not to mention any areas that you feel need improving on.

My mention of FotRS, OM: DW v6 or even with KSD II, is just suggestion... just to be clear on that point. A hope for wish.. if you will.

As always, thanks to all who put mods together, your hard work & effort.. is greatly appreciated.

M. M.

Old 07-18-21, 04:31 PM   #6
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214

Quote:
thanks, it would appear though that few people even use these forums much any more. i guess SH4 is not as popular as it once was

if no one is interested in it, then i may not even bother with an official redo of GFO
I came back after a while away (and a couple+ strokes). I'm having a better time than ever. I'm always interested in new upgrades to mod. C'mon. You know you wanna.
Old 07-18-21, 04:49 PM   #7
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
I came back after a while away (and a couple+ strokes). I'm having a better time than ever. I'm always interested in new upgrades to mod. C'mon. You know you wanna.
lol, yes i wanted to, when time allowed, but im shocked at how few still post and come here.

not sure if i still want to invest 100hrs into redoing the mod when there doesnt seem there is any real interest in modding the game any more

there used to be 50 new posts every day, now its like 2 or 3
Old 07-18-21, 05:18 PM   #8
Arlo
The Old Man

Quote:
lol, yes i wanted to, when time allowed, but im shocked at how few still post and come here.

not sure if i still want to invest 100hrs into redoing the mod when there doesnt seem there is any real interest in modding the game any more

So, I guess I gotta post 10+ posts a day.
Old 07-19-21, 10:11 AM   #9
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
So, I guess I gotta post 10+ posts a day.
Count me in also!...

Old 07-19-21, 10:15 AM   #10
propbeanie

What we have found Webster, which is still "historical", in that it has always been like this, but we get a "normal" amount of downloads for FotRSU, but most of the posts are reporting issues. Therefore, if you break something in the mod, you will hear about it... - but if all goes well for most folks, you can hear a pin drop around here... - just normal, even though the traffic volume has dropped... Now, one way around that is to take Facebook and the other "media" sites out of the equation, make them irrelevant, so that the users have to come back to SubSim...

Old 07-19-21, 10:25 AM   #11
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
What we have found Webster, which is still "historical", in that it has always been like this, but we get a "normal" amount of downloads for FotRSU, but most of the posts are reporting issues. Therefore, if you break something in the mod, you will hear about it... - but if all goes well for most folks, you can hear a pin drop around here... - just normal, even though the traffic volume has dropped... Now, one way around that is to take Facebook and the other "media" sites out of the equation, make them irrelevant, so that the users have to come back to SubSim...
QFT!

Do good and all is quite!
Make one tiny mistake?
You get roasted as if you were Loki incarnate!

Old 07-19-21, 10:58 AM   #12
Arlo
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Valid points. I'm on my fifth patrol in FoTRS U (about to go into 1943 - a year, game-time). Way back, when I found SH4 and came back here and delightfully found mods, I never completed a patrol without a CTD. Of course, that was pre-LAA for me, as well.
Old 07-19-21, 11:54 AM   #13
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

Quote:

Of course only you can assess the value of your time and effort but suffice to say that the forums of many, newer games are as isolated cemeteries compared to the activity around here.

I am not familiar with your GFO mod, finding the stock SH4 neither particularly compelling or challenging and with mods that added content, like TMO/RSRD and FOTRS, a mod that only fixed issues in stock seemed surplus to requirements. That said, I know how much work is involved in modding a game and while it is unlikely that your goal was to seek praise, acknowledgement for all of your work would certainly be fair. But that's not the way that any games' community seems to work. It sucks but should be no surprize to anyone.

Having written scenarios for Harpoon, CMANO and CMO I know a little something of the effort involved in researching, editing, testing game content. At least two of my CMO scenarios got the YouTube treatment with zero attribution for their author. I released an extensive mod for the game World War One Gold, which served a similar function to your GFO for SH4 and after almost 300-downloads I got exactly one thanks and no feedback whatsoever. People do not value that which they receive for free. It makes little sense but you see it all the time in the Flight Simulator community for example.

Your peers know your value to the community as some have written in the above posts. A quick look at my SH4 collection shows that I even have some minor Webster mods and I know that, like the vast majority of the Great Unwashed, I never acknowledged or thanked you for. So to correct that now, Thank You and Well Done.

So listen to your peers if you like, they have the measure of your contributions and further potential far better than I.

Cheers and good luck whatever you decide.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-21, 12:09 PM   #14
Arlo
The Old Man

Posting.
Old 07-19-21, 03:20 PM   #15
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
Of course only you can assess the value of your time and effort but suffice to say that the forums of many, newer games are as isolated cemeteries compared to the activity around here.

-C
well doing a large mega mod takes a lot of endless hours of hard work plus endless hours of testing and thats a lot to take on if no one will be using it

unlike FOTRS, TMO, or RFB, which all changed the dificulty or playability of the game, i wanted a mod that fixed everything with the game but didnt change the dificulty or playability of the game in any way and thats what GFO is. the idea was to fix the game fully, then you can do your own modding or add mods after to change dificulty or playability of the game as you see fit