SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-30-21, 04:57 PM   #1
JerseySeven
Random#

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0
Default Fortsu: no clearly defined patrol area

My fourth patrol. I was tasked with patrolling two areas west of the Marshalls for 5 days each, which I completed. I was then ordered to a marker west of the Gilberts and told to await further orders. When I arrived, the marker was checked as completed and I was just told "Engage and destroy any enemy shipping in the area.
This time, there was no area designated. Do I just cruise around the Gilberts or patrol around the last marker (with completed the check mark).
JerseySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-21, 05:05 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySeven View Post
My fourth patrol. I was tasked with patrolling two areas west of the Marshalls for 5 days each, which I completed. I was then ordered to a marker west of the Gilberts and told to await further orders. When I arrived, the marker was checked as completed and I was just told "Engage and destroy any enemy shipping in the area.
This time, there was no area designated. Do I just cruise around the Gilberts or patrol around the last marker (with completed the check mark).
If you reread the message you got, AFTer getting into the area 'to await further orders.', you should see it say that, the skipper (meaning you, here... ) have 'full autonomy' (meaning you are free to engage enemy targets, any where... meaning you do NOT have to stay in that exact area (where ever that area is that you got told to go to), to await further orders...).

Hope this info helps to assist you, in understanding the orders you got...

M. M.

Old 06-30-21, 07:05 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
in a word, yes.
that is what we call a "sink" mission.
you sail to a specific area and when the pennant changes colors and you get additional orders, you may sail anywhere you please to sink shipping.
a "patrol" mission is then you have to remain within a specific area for a specified period of time, hopefully sinking shipping.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-21, 08:21 PM   #4
JerseySeven
Random#

Downloads: 142

I figured that, but with no end date for the mission, and no ships in sight after an additional 3 weeks of traveling about the area, including heading towards Truk, I felt lost. Made me wonder if my surface search radar was working.

This game seems to be feast or famine with regard to shipping! Four patrols, nine ships sunk, but patrol 2 and patrol 4 left me empty handed!
JerseySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-21, 10:19 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
I figured that, but with no end date for the mission, and no ships in sight after an additional 3 weeks of traveling about the area, including heading towards Truk, I felt lost. Made me wonder if my surface search radar was working.

This game seems to be feast or famine with regard to shipping! Four patrols, nine ships sunk, but patrol 2 and patrol 4 left me empty handed!
Yeah, with those sort of orders... it's basically sink ships/shipping until you get the bell rung on completing those type of objectives...

& I agree with you on that, though to be frank... on a couple of patrol logs I managed to find, plus 1 book I seem to recall reading some time back, that's about how it was... feast or famine, when it came to sinking targets... & it wasn't just relegated to 1 side or the other sub service wise, either.

It was that way for the U.S./Brit sub fleet, as well as for the Uboat arm for Germany... though they did have that sweet time for a bit to which even Churchill got left with sleepless nights because of the success the Uboats had there for that time frame.

All you can do, is just bore holes until you run into shipping, sink it & hope that its enough to ring that completion bell.. if not then is back on to trolling about until you find some more ship/s or a couple to sink.

Any way, hope that this info has been helpful...

Fair winds, smooth seas &... Good huntin'.

M. M.

Old 06-30-21, 11:37 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Yeah, with those sort of orders... it's basically sink ships/shipping until you get the bell rung on completing those type of objectives...

& I agree with you on that, though to be frank... on a couple of patrol logs I managed to find, plus 1 book I seem to recall reading some time back, that's about how it was... feast or famine, when it came to sinking targets... & it wasn't just relegated to 1 side or the other sub service wise, either.

It was that way for the U.S./Brit sub fleet, as well as for the Uboat arm for Germany... though they did have that sweet time for a bit to which even Churchill got left with sleepless nights because of the success the Uboats had there for that time frame.

All you can do, is just bore holes until you run into shipping, sink it & hope that its enough to ring that completion bell.. if not then is back on to trolling about until you find some more ship/s or a couple to sink.

Any way, hope that this info has been helpful...

Fair winds, smooth seas &... Good huntin'.

M. M.

i will add to what MM says above by confirming that there are times when the Random Generating Engine seems to go to sleep.

you see, the game has a shipping simulator, what i refer to as the Random Generating Engine, which takes predefined groups of ships (convoys, task forces, small groups, single ships) and applies some rules and then generates the shipping traffic. these groups, referred to as RGG's are defined and stored in the Campaigns folder. the files contain the ships, their definitions and a bunch of rules as to when/where/how to generate shipping traffic.

there are times when that engine seems to not run properly and result is a dearth of shipping for us-Kaleuns to sink.

yes, it gets frustrating.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote