Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-19, 09:31 AM   #1
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Default College admissions scandal

A scathing indictment produced by FBI Special Agent Laura Smith and unsealed in federal court on Tuesday implicated 50 people including two Hollywood actresses, Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin .

Quote : The story told in the affidavit, in unsparing and often comic detail, is the story of just how shot-through the college-admissions process is with graft, favor-trading, and proper fraud. Prosecutors tell of parents (including celebrity actors Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin) springing for bogus SAT and ACT results and phony amateur athletic credentials; in a handful of cases, college coaches allegedly took cash bribes to designate applicants as athletic recruits. $1.2 million, of which $400,000 was funneled to the coach, was the supposed ante for a fake spot on Yale’s women’s soccer team.

Some people were allegedly admitted based on fake athletic profiles and distorted SAT and ACT scores obtained through bribes. In some cases, the SAT tests were taken by professional test takers for the prospective students. In all, parents collectively paid 25 million dollars to get their kids into elite schools.

Lori Laughlin's daughter posted on youtube before this story broke. YouTuber Olivia Jade, Laughlin's daughter said she was only interested in going to college to party, go to football games and " stuff. "

Quote: Olivia Jade, 19, said that she looks to her dad – who created the fashion line Mossimo – for “inspiration.” “He didn’t come from a lot so it’s cool to see that he built it all himself,” she said. “He, like, built his whole entire brand and he wasn’t actually, like, I don’t know if I’m supposed to say this, ever enrolled in college. But he, like, faked his way through it and then he started his whole business with tuition money that his parents thought was going to college. That’s, like, such a different time. I don’t know if I was supposed to say that, but it’s okay.”

In Olivia and her sisters case, Good Morning America reports that documents show that Lori and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, Olivia Jade’s father, allegedly “agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team — despite the fact that they did not participate in crew — thereby facilitating their admission to USC.”

https://people.com/tv/lori-loughlin-...rough-college/

I guess cheating is a family tradition. Lawsuits against the college involved are pending.The suit's allege, "Unqualified students found their way into the admissions rolls of highly selective universities, while those students who played by the rules and did not have college-bribing parents were denied admission."

Quote: As a high school senior in Louisiana, Lauren Fidelak maintained a 4.0 GPA and scored a stellar 34 on her ACT. But when she applied to her preferred schools, the University of Southern California and UCLA, she wasn't accepted. The rejections left her so upset she had an emotional breakdown and needed to be hospitalized in Boston.

Fidelak and her mother, Keri, are now among seven students and parents who filed a federal lawsuit seeking class-action status against USC, UCLA and other colleges named in this week's sprawling admissions scandal, saying their admissions process was "warped and rigged by fraud."
Prosecutors revealed Tuesday that 50 people, including 33 parents and a number of college coaches, face charges in carrying out a scheme in which wealthy people used their money to game the admissions system at some of the nation's elite universities.

As a result, the plaintiffs allege in part negligence, unfair competition and violations of consumer law, according to an amended lawsuit filed Thursday in US District Court for the Northern District of California.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/14/us/co...ion/index.html

NBC News reports that schools involved in the indictment include Georgetown University, Stanford University, University of Southern California, University of Texas, UCLA, the University of San Diego, Yale, Wake The University of San Diego, the University of Texas at Austin, Wake Forest, Stanford, Yale and USC Harvard and others.

William "Rick" Singer pleaded guilty to several charges in his college admissions cheating scheme. Singer has said he has " helped hundreds get into schools. " This would seem to indicate the scope of this scandal is much larger. In the wake of this scandal, the Hallmark channel has dropped Laughlin. In addition, Olivia jade, when the story broke, was on the Yacht of Rick Caruso who is the elected chair of the USC board of Trustees. Hmmmm. The 215-foot "Invictus" yacht can sleep up to 12 guests while housing a staff of 19 crew members. I wonder where Olivia Jade slept ?

It seems to me that if Laughlin had to pay to get her daughter into college, then Jade wasn't smart enough to do the school work anyhow. I'm sure Laughlin and Jade believed her looks would curry favor with the school and her professors and garner special treatment.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 10:21 AM   #2
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

This is a pretty shocking story but in someways I am not surprised. People with money and influence have always been able to do stuff like this.

The (possibly hilarious) upshot of these revelations might be the smirk or outright laughter when some rich kid tells you he graduated from Yale or the University of Southern California.

Oh. Really.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-19, 01:15 AM   #3
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

When someone brings up their Yale, Harvard, USC, etc., education, I usually express my deepest condolonces for not having been able to get into a good school...

<O>
Old 03-16-19, 09:34 AM   #4
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

There is a story where one set of parents paid $6,000,000 in bribes to get their one kid into one of these schools!

6 million? Whiskey Tango
Buy the kid 6M worth of good solid stock and they are set for life.

6 million just to get into a school?

That's nuts
Old 03-16-19, 09:40 AM   #5
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Reports are in the Olivia Jade, the daughter of Laughlin will not be back at USC, Monday morning. It's think it'smore likely that she was asked not to come back. Now, Olivia Jade has more time to party on the Yacht of the Chairman of the board of Trustees of her school, the University of Southern California.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-19, 11:46 AM   #6
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Unfortunately this is very common, i remember there already was a selection procedure at basic school; when you lived in a certain part of town you could maybe have high marks, but the class teacher would see to only certain children getting on to secondary School..
However we threatened to make it public so at least our class teacher had to withdraw his "suggestions".
What a nice classless society in Germany

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 09:17 AM   #7
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 09:27 AM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

^ Sorted

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote