SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-15-19, 06:28 AM   #16
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I've all the above mentioned books but the best IMHO especially if you're interested in U-boat history and development is The U-Boat: The Evolution and Technical History of German Submarines by Eberhard Rössler.

Not cheap but well worth the price. I sent a copy to Kpt Lehmann one Christmas years back.

https://www.amazon.com/U-Boat-Evolut.../dp/0304361208

I second this recommendation, but also caution that it will only be of interest to someone truly interested in the details of the design evolution.

Some others that I have enjoyed

The U-Boat Wars 1916-1945 by John Terraine
This book goes into a lot of detail about the evolution of the U-boat tactics in the often overlooked inter-war period

U-Boat War by Lothar-Gunther Buchheim
This book is more focused on the crews and the personal experiences of the men. An interesting insight

The U-Boat Offensive 1914-1945 by V. V. Tarrant
This book has a lot of stats on the U-boats, the commanders, the career of the boat.

The afore mentioned book series by Clay Blair are always a good recommendation. However, Blair's books are not what I consider an "easy read".

Good luck with this. Collecting U-boat books is a terrible and expensive hobby.
Old 06-15-19, 07:14 AM   #17
GibClaret1980
Watch

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
I second this recommendation, but also caution that it will only be of interest to someone truly interested in the details of the design evolution.

Some others that I have enjoyed

The U-Boat Wars 1916-1945 by John Terraine
This book goes into a lot of detail about the evolution of the U-boat tactics in the often overlooked inter-war period

U-Boat War by Lothar-Gunther Buchheim
This book is more focused on the crews and the personal experiences of the men. An interesting insight

The U-Boat Offensive 1914-1945 by V. V. Tarrant
This book has a lot of stats on the U-boats, the commanders, the career of the boat.

The afore mentioned book series by Clay Blair are always a good recommendation. However, Blair's books are not what I consider an "easy read".

Excellent suggestions. I think will start with 1 of those that cover both wars first off also going to borrow Iron Coffins off me dad.
GibClaret1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-19, 09:25 AM   #18
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post

HENCE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME
Get this scholarly duo under your belt and you've done your homework!
.... SECOND ONLY TO OUR WATCH COLLECTIONS BBY! MOST OF MY HOUSE SHELVING IS AN EXTENSIVE HISTORY LIBRARY WITH FAIR SECTION ON WATCHES AND WATCHMAKING....

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-20, 05:40 PM   #19
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Monika!I do have Blair's vol. 1 on the Kindle app of my tablet.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-25-20 at 08:23 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote