SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-02-10, 08:02 PM   #16
Steeltrap
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

If you're looking to build a new rig, I recommend going to www.tomshardware.com and spending some time reading. It covers everything about PCs to a very high level of detail.

You can learn all about CPUs, GPUs, RAM, mobo, power supplies, bottlenecks etc etc i.e. everything you need to make an informed decision.

As Feuer Frei! said, you'll pretty much always do better with a custom build than a prebuilt as the latter tend to make compromises in areas that can hurt performance, and they often aren't really optimised (e.g. they often build in readily anticipated bottlenecks, where one of the CPU, GPU or memory components significantly differ in capacity from the others).

Cheers
Steeltrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 12:17 AM   #17
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl View Post
It's good to see others who have dinosaur computers
I have a dual core, but it's the ugly brother that we don't show to people, a Pentium D 925 3.00Ghz, I'm sure it's slower than many simple core CPUs.
And an old ATI X1650 256MB.
wow my other rig is an identical match
Ugly brother just about sums it up
Those Pentium Ds werent the best

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 12:18 AM   #18
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
I admit that I am a noob, what is SDD?
He probably meant SSD (solid state drive i.e. basically a hard disk made of RAM)
Old 02-03-10, 12:19 AM   #19
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
I admit that I am a noob, what is SDD?
I think he means SSD
Solid state drive
Like a big flash card

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 06:39 AM   #20
HundertzehnGustav
Sea Lord

Downloads: 66

SSD...
Old 02-03-10, 10:04 AM   #21
guynoir
Seaman

Downloads: 3

On the new Win7 machine I built last year, I have two RAID-0ed Intel SSDs as my OS drive (along with important programs (games)), and you can pry them from my cold dead fingers!

The machine is very fast to boot up, nearly instantly drops to the desktop, and I can immediately click all of the programs in the taskbar and they all quickly open up.

SSD drives are probably the best general performance upgrade you can make for your PC... They make everything snappy!
guynoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 11:17 AM   #22
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by guynoir View Post
On the new Win7 machine I built last year, I have two RAID-0ed Intel SSDs as my OS drive (along with important programs (games)), and you can pry them from my cold dead fingers!

The machine is very fast to boot up, nearly instantly drops to the desktop, and I can immediately click all of the programs in the taskbar and they all quickly open up.

SSD drives are probably the best general performance upgrade you can make for your PC... They make everything snappy!
The SSD technology is just awesome and price points are coming down. Although the high quality ones are still a bit expensive when compared to a WD Raptor. I have built two SSD systems for friends as HTPC and they boot to the desktop at frightening speed. The SSD is a huge leap for the PC as it brings it to an almost instant on device.

As for dual core chips, I started on that road in '05 with AMD and still run an old dog X2 4800 on the 939 socket. The chip is good but the old ASUS Mobo is slowly dying. Its best to rebuild on a 2-3 year cycle these days and recoup your money by selling the parts on Ebay for on average 1/2 price. Wait to long and you just about have to give it away but at least its still being used and not going into a land fill or worse.

I do run a new Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.83 Ghz on my HTPC and I find it to be very capable and runs anything I need including Blu-Ray very nicely. There is plenty of CPU power available now and with multiple cores its up to the developers to write code that takes advantage of the processing power.

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 12:42 PM   #23
kptn_kaiserhof
XO

Downloads: 42

i agree
kptn_kaiserhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 01:15 PM   #24
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Downloads: 134
Default Single or dual core?....I dont'know....Dinosaur?

I really don't know what I have except my task manager is displaying 2 cpu's. Is this a dual core? I have 3gb ddr ram installed. The only game I play is SH4 and it goes fine on a Nvidia 9800GTX+ / 512mb DDR3 ram.

I copied this from the HP site. It's a A747C model. Is this a dinosaur rig?

Hardware
Base processor
Intel Pentium4 520 (P) 2.8 GHz (HT)
•800 MHz Front side bus
•Socket 775
•Hyper Threading technology
Chipset
Intel 915G
Motherboard
•ASUS name: PTGD1-LA
•HP name: Grouper-GL8E
Ships-R-Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 01:17 PM   #25
Kresge
Engineer

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
If you're looking to build a new rig, I recommend going to www.tomshardware.com and spending some time reading. It covers everything about PCs to a very high level of detail.

You can learn all about CPUs, GPUs, RAM, mobo, power supplies, bottlenecks etc etc i.e. everything you need to make an informed decision.

Tom's is also a good source if you are trying to compare your old system specs with the SHV requirements. There are all sorts of charts and you can compare the performance of say a Pentium 4 3.2GHZ to a newer DuoCore, etc. model and see how they stack up. Video cards are in there too.
Old 02-03-10, 01:54 PM   #26
GREY WOLF 3
中国水兵

Downloads: 33

Minimum system configuration

CPU: Intel® Core2Duo® E4400 or AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 4000+ or higher
Operating System: Windows® XP (with Service Pack 3) or Windows Vista® (with Service Pack 2)
RAM: 1 GB (XP) / 2 GB (Vista)
DVD-ROM: DVD-ROM speed 4x, dual-layer drive
Minimum Drive Space: 10 GB
Video Card: 256 MB DirectX® 9.0c-compliant video card (ATI® Radeon HD2600/GeForce® 8800 or better)
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c-compliant sound card
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (included on disc)
Recommended system configuration

CPU: Intel® Core2Duo® E6850 or AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 5600+ or higher
Operating System: Windows® XP (with Service Pack 3) or Windows Vista® (with Service Pack 2) or Windows® 7
RAM: 2 GB (XP / Vista / Win7)
DVD-ROM: DVD-ROM speed 4x, dual-layer drive
Recommended Drive Space: 15 GB
Video Card: 512 MB DirectX® 9.0c-compliant video card (ATI® Radeon HD3000 series / GeForce® 9 Series or better)
Sound Card: DirectX® 9.0c-compliant sound card
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (included on disc)

Internet connection required
Old 02-03-10, 05:38 PM   #27
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis View Post
He probably meant SSD (solid state drive i.e. basically a hard disk made of RAM)

Ah ok, thought there was another initialization I had to learn. Thanks
Old 02-04-10, 12:10 AM   #28
jazman
Commander

Downloads: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ships-R-Us View Post
I really don't know what I have except my task manager is displaying 2 cpu's. Is this a dual core? I have 3gb ddr ram installed. The only game I play is SH4 and it goes fine on a Nvidia 9800GTX+ / 512mb DDR3 ram.

I copied this from the HP site. It's a A747C model. Is this a dinosaur rig?

Hardware
Base processor
Intel Pentium4 520 (P) 2.8 GHz (HT)
That (HT) means HyperThreaded. That's fake dual CPU. Note that Windows sees a core as a CPU, and it sees a thread as a CPU. So if you have two quad-core hyperthreaded Nehalems, the OS thinks you have 16 CPUs. But you don't.

Although Hyperthreading works OK for very short-lived threads being created and torn down frequently. Look at a Sun T5120, for example: 64 threads, one real CPU.

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/se...ers/031579.htm

Runs like a slug when you have unthreaded CPU-churning apps.
Old 02-04-10, 12:10 AM   #29
jazman
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by guynoir View Post

I am drooling.
Old 02-04-10, 12:16 AM   #30
jazman
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarnsman View Post
So when they say E4400 dual core minimum do they really mean dual core only, since my P4 has a higher clock speed even than the E6850? Like does the game needs both cores to operate? I dont reallly understand dual core technology, but I do think a game has to be coded to take advantage of it. Now does this mean such a game is not backward compatiblle?
Don't go by clock speed. Go by CPU throughput, which pretty much is higher for all the multi-core CPUs than for a single-core CPU, not because of clock speed, but because of bandwidth between RAM and CPU and CPU throughput. If SHV is not built with multithreading able to spread load across multi-cores, it's a dead dog. If it is built with multithreading (very likely is), your CPU is the dead dog.

But even clunky old games like IL-2 work better on a multi-core CPU. The game is bound to one of the cores, and all the other OS processes can use the other core(s), and it flies. You don't have to do all that stupid stuff like shutting down all services to reduce CPU usage.