Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-19, 08:26 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

wolf_howl15 Subsim New Member mousepad contest

Ahoy new captains and welcome to Subsim, online since 1997.

As your welcome private message says, you can make your first post here to enter the drawing for the free Subsim mousepad.

You can post about: (for example, any of these topics or anything else)
  • Describe your first sub game
  • How you came across Subsim
  • What the weather is like today in your part of the world
  • Do you like U-boats best or American subs, or Russian fast attacks
  • How many slices of pizza you normally consume
  • How many times you've watched Das Boot or Hunt for Red October
  • What your superpower would be if your were an X-Man (or woman)
  • Or just about anything that interests you!

If you win, you can choose between one of these two pads.

Drawing will be held on the first of the month for one winner. Good luck.
Onkel Neal
SUBSIM

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 03-06-19 at 08:14 PM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 09:47 PM   #2
Euraisa
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Greetings,

I play Silent Hunter 4 and Silent Hunter 3. The only other naval warfare game I play is Rule The Waves. I got into it after watching One J-Jef's Silent Hunter 4 Let's Play. I can play with no map contacts and such but while I understand how targeting works I can't manually do it to save my virtual life. So in 4 I use automatic and in 3 my Weapons Officer assists or does the work. But I do all the hunting and most of the listening. The men manning my Sonar always seem to be deaf. And I also prefer leaving from port in 4. I find much of it relaxing. Even using the deck gun.

And sometimes, when under and listening, I have hot coco.

And, yes, also a history nut. Have many books on naval history, British Battle Fleet, tail ships, and all the Hornblower books.

Anybody know any good fictional books on submarine warfare?

Thanks,

Eurasia.
Euraisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-19, 06:16 AM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Fictional on modern sub warfare? Go here and type in Michael Dimercurio.
Old 03-04-19, 10:08 AM   #4
keteimporta
Nub

Downloads: 2

Hi Commanders, (excuse my English, it is not my mother language)

After almost 15 years without playing submarine simulators, I'm now in the mood of that. First, I will answer the questions proposed by the staff:
  • Describe your first sub game: well, first memory I have about a sub game is "Sub Battle Simulator" on a Macintosh when I was a University student (1987 or so). Then I played GATO Class submarine on my first PC, both on monochrome displays, of course. Then came a gap until Silent Hunter came to my hands. I played a bit of SH-2, and even less SH-3. And I stopped playing there.

• How you came across Subsim: I don't really remember. I have a "Super sub sim cd" with patches for SH and SH-2, so I think I had a previous account, and I even made a donation a lot of years ago...

• What the weather is like today in your part of the world: sunny. I live in Zaragoza (Spain), and the nearest sea is about 250 Kms (155 Mi) from my city. We have a semi-desert near us, called "Monegros"; there is a legend about that name: legend (not History) says that is derived from "Montes Negros" (Black Hills) because there were extense forest of "Juniperus thurifera", so dense that light had difficult in going across, similar name to the "Black Forest" on the south-west Germany (but different trees). Legend says that a massive cut of trees was made for the construction of the spanish "Armada Invencible" (Spanish Armada) on the XVIth century, and then the forest became a desert... Anyway, living far from sea, it is weird I'm interested in sea warfare simulations, I know

• Do you like U-boats best or American subs, or Russian fast attacks: only German ones, WWII period.

• How many slices of pizza you normally consume: 1 pizza every week is good enough for me.

• How many times you've watched Das Boot or Hunt for Red October: not so often enough; but I don't really need it, because I know almost every frame of them...

• What your superpower would be if your were an X-Man (or woman): I'm too old for X-Men or Marvel heroes, sorry (I've lost the interest in the last movies of Marvel, for example).
And now I have a question for all of us: after being out of simulators for almots 15 years... What's the game I must play? Is SH-5 worthy, of I rather must play SH-3?

Cheers
keteimporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-19, 11:32 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

keteimporta!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 09:16 AM   #6
Hubert Manche
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 4

Hi everybody!

As a new guy here, i would like to introduce myself.

The name is Hubert Manche.

-Describe your first sub game
Well, i remember playing a sub simulation on Atari 1040ST but i can't remember the name, just perhaps the name of the editor “Microprose”.
Maybe USS 688 or something like that…

-How you came across Subsim
I search for the best on sub sim on the internet and i found you!

-What the weather is like today in your part of the world
Grey here, like the weather on Atlantic North, June the 23rd of 1941.

-Do you like U-boats best or American subs, or Russian fast attacks
U-boats, i'm a kind of vintage guy

-How many slices of pizza you normally consume
The whole pizza, why?

-How many times you've watched Das Boot or Hunt for Red October
Das Boot a lot. I remember buying the DVD on import from US and paying the double of the price!

-What your superpower would be if your were an X-Man (or woman)
Going under water

-Or just about anything that interests you!
Well, i also like military flying sim, like DCS.
Hubert Manche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 11:36 AM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default Welcome aboard!

Hubert Manche!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 03-06-19, 01:22 PM   #8
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Welcome aboard, mates!

Enjoy SUBSIM!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-19, 10:44 PM   #9
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Welcome Aboard All New Members!

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-19, 12:04 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Welcome aboard!

Joshua lyng!

Old 03-23-19, 07:20 PM   #11
die wilde jagd
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 7
Default howdy

hi Captains,

thanks for the warm invitation!

I'm finally back into a subsim (SH5) since first playing SH3 about twelve years ago, and I'm really looking forward to dedicating a good chunk of time to it.

I loved playing SH3, though skipped SH4 and have only just DL'd SH5 from Steam. I used to play Silent Service on Nintendo back in the day, and after bingeing the Das Boot TV show I felt like it was a good opportunity to revisit days of olde and get back into the hot seat.

I registered to learn how to extend myself with targeting, sonar and navigation, and of course borrow a couple of mods to boost the gameplay. I thank you all in advance for your time, and possible repeat noob questions. Despite my time with SH3, I think I've forgotten how to be a boat driver...
die wilde jagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-19, 07:28 PM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default welcome aboard!

die wilde jagd!

Old 03-23-19, 07:33 PM   #13
Techlovr
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Greeting

Greetings!

New member and glad to be here. What a great and huge site! I plan on donating to support the war effort. I came across the site after Googling the game for mods.

My first sub game was playing Silent Service on NOS back in the day. Hard to believe that was about 30 years ago! LOL Since then, I've played different sub games, Silent Steel, Silent Hunter 2 and Silent Hunter 3, etc. One of my favorite movies is Hunt for Red October. While I like sub sims, I also have played all the Assassins Creed games except for the last 2, Red Dead Redemption (1 and 2), Windward, Forza Motorsports, American Trucker Sim, and a bunch of the Need For Speed titles. I want to get the Logitech G920 wheel and pedals for realism and full effect!

Nice to meet everyone. I have the game and mod installed but having issuing getting the game to play. Where would I post a request for assistance?

Happy Hunting, Captains, and many kills for the Fatherland!
Old 03-23-19, 07:36 PM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default welcome aboard!

Techlovr!

Old 03-24-19, 03:18 PM   #15
LowesyPC
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1

Hey there guys, Lowesy here, so my first sub game was silent hunter 2 and what game, i came across the forum looking for mods for SH5 and the such. The weather today is amazing sunny. I do love me some U-boats. I can eat a pizza whole no problem. I have never seen Das Boot, I know I know, but seen Hunt for red october a few times, and I reckon flight would be my power. Imagine the costs you'd safe.
LowesyPC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contest