SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-30-20, 09:05 AM   #1141
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Ditto on Silent Victory. Required reading in my opinion... There were sub nets and minefields from the beginning, just not that many. It was one of those "what do we want to spend our money on most?" situations. ie, did they want to build ships, or put out defensive barriers? The thought process usually devolved into "a good offense is a good defence", so the attacks kept coming. Also, with the more than lackluster effectiveness of the US torpedoes, the feelings in the higher levels of command were "why bother?". So in some areas, they were rather late getting some harbors protected, especially the "conquered" territories, other than maybe Rabaul, Manila or Singapore and the like. Once the US had Saipan and Guam, the B-29s actually put out more harbor mines for the Japanese, some of course landed on shore, but they still lost a LOT of Japanese vessels lost to mines inside of, and just outside of their own harbors. There is minimal information on what the Japanese had actually put in place at most harbors, which the lack of information is most probably to do with the destruction of documentation just prior to the end of the war. We've not been able to find much in this regard, though I have seen some drawings (that I can no longer find) on US navigation maps, with the use of red pencil, de-marking where minefields were or were suspected to be. That is the kind of stuff that would be really cool to have on your NavMap in the game...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 09:34 AM   #1142
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
I was wondering if it is possible for me to alter the colour that the game applies to the unit icons on the map?

I think the shape of the unit icons is stored within the folders for each ship and I am happy with those but I am interested in taking the red and blue tint that is applied to them and replacing it with the neutral grey.

If this is possible it will of course mean that if I see a Merchantman contact I will actually have to go and have a look to determine its nationality rather than being able to glance at the colour and deduce it is Allied or not.
This is how it's done in Dark Waters mod, so it's definitely possible.

With some ships you can assume nationality based on type (e.g. V&W Destroyer = UK Navy) but especially with merchant convoys early in the war, quite a few of the ships carry flags of neutral nations. So one has to be careful. I often can't make out the flags until fairly close at night, which I assume is intentional.
Old 05-30-20, 12:20 PM   #1143
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Downloads: 5

Apologies to the FotRSU team - I have found that my question about the blue/red colours was discussed previously in https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=244934 and the consensus seemed to be that when time permitted, it may be offered as an optional mod.

Since explaining what needs doing will almost certainly take as long as doing it, I am happy to wait but please be assured that plenty of folks will be grateful for the edit when it is available.
Old 05-30-20, 01:26 PM   #1144
DanielCoffey
Planesman

I can't find out with a quick search if it has been mentioned before but are there any intentions to add the angled silhouettes for the Recognition Manual for the new ships that are missing it.

For example the Akita Maru has the three images in its _sil.dds file but there are plenty that do not such as the Shinshu Maru.
Old 05-30-20, 09:16 PM   #1145
propbeanie

No, the different angles are not planned. Maybe someone with make-up a PDF manual with tabs for ship types... but those images are not very easy to do, besides the fact that there is not really enough room on the RecMan page to give the pictures justice. We do plan on getting "fancy" sometime soon with the Recognition Manual, but not in that way, DanielCoffey. We haven't even proceeded any further on the different "targeting" mods yet, with one for TMO-style, and another for between what we have, and the TMO-style, sort of like what you describe...

Old 05-31-20, 01:38 AM   #1146
DanielCoffey
Planesman

I do understand that they are hard. I went into the Museum and looked at the Large Composite Freighter (which does not match its recognition manual image at all by the way) and immediately spotted a few issues that mean a silhouette would have to be manually created.

The first is that the "deck accessories" seem to be applied to the ships so you see deck guns, cargo and liferafts on the Merchantmen. I don't know if these accessories are randomised or always present on every vessel of that type.

Next is the angle of view on the screen. In order to be close enough to see detail that would need to be captured in the silhouette, you are close enough to get perspective distortion so you see pairs of vents and pairs of cranes. The model needs "flattening" before it would be useful. If you pull back to get a flatter view, less detail is captured.

The museum also adds the bow and stern wake which messes with the view of the vessel. While the waterline is useful, it would be handy of we could get rid of the wakes.

I would be prepared to capture side images of the obvious mismatched or absent silhouettes and bow on would be easy enough to do but I will have to see if I can view the models outside the game rather than in the museum first.

Last edited by DanielCoffey; 05-31-20 at 04:18 AM.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 04:20 AM   #1147
DanielCoffey
Planesman

I think I have found a fairly elegant way to present true side-on images of the models so since I will have general questions about the Recognition images I will start a separate thread about it. Once I have something to show I will make it a mod of its own and then offer it for inclusion with FOTRSU at your discretion.
Old 05-31-20, 07:55 PM   #1148
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Default Error: No Primary Objectives Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockheedliang View Post
Anyone facing the same problem of Dec 1942 patrol not being able to be started due to "Error: No Primary Objectives Found"?

I tried to solve this issue by transferring to new fleets. Nothing happens
I tried to start a new patrol in October 1942 and hit that problem.

I'm certain that I deleted the saved games file before installing the FOTRSU mod.

My modlist

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.1_EN
252_D3D9_AntiLag
Captain Midnights CBS NEWS Sound Mod
399_Same-Sized_HUD_Dials

I'm on the (SS-202) Trout which is a Tambor Class sub

Completed 4 successful patrols but can't start a fifth. This next will be my second aboard The Tambor class boat as my first three patrols were aboard the Sargo class (SS196) Searaven

Please forgive if this was answered elsewhere but I read through all the posts in this thread that came up when I searched on "Primary Objectives" and couldn't spot an answer.
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig

Last edited by Havan_IronOak; 06-01-20 at 04:10 AM.
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 09:08 AM   #1149
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post

I'm certain that I deleted the saved games file before installing the FOTRSU mod.

My modlist

[C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

252_D3D9_AntiLag
399_Same-Sized_HUD_Dials

Completed 4 successful patrols but can't start a fifth. This next will be my second aboard The Tambor class boat as my first three patrols were aboard the Sargo class (SS196) Searaven

Please forgive if this was answered elsewhere but I read through all the posts in this thread that came up when I searched on "Primary Objectives" and couldn't spot an answer.
try this one:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthr...rimary&page=75

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 09:39 AM   #1150
propbeanie

Quote:
Anyone facing the same problem of Dec 1942 patrol not being able to be started due to "Error: No Primary Objectives Found"?

I tried to solve this issue by transferring to new fleets. Nothing happens
Quote:
Boat: USS Triton Tambor class
Base: The Southwest Austrialian one for the Asiatic fleet. (Same error after I transfer to Midway and Pearl Harbor fleet)
Date: Dec 13 1942 (first mission after the intro movie about taking over Guadacanal)
JSGME: Only FOTRS 1.1 base mod was enactivated and no sub-mob involved
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post

My modlist

252_D3D9_AntiLag
399_Same-Sized_HUD_Dials

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
We have identified not one, not two, but three errors in the PatrolObjectives.cfg file. Thanks to lockheedliang and Havan_IronOak for their reports. One is for a Pearl Harbor Honshu assignment, one is for a Fremantle Sulu Sea assignment, both of which will stop you cold, and the 3rd is an odd typo that actually looks like file corruption (oh no! not another hard drive failure! - maybe the cat walked on the keyboard??), but it will not stop the game, only the proper assignment of the mission, which no one misses anyway... - We are currently working on a small update that (at this time) is backwards compatible with v1.1 and hope to have it out in 24 hours or so - maybe. If more errors are found, it will prolong the agony. If anyone else encounters the issue, let me know, and we can hook you up with a possible fix, but the first experiment with the "fix" did result in the player still having to go back to a previous Saved game. But at least they could then continue... Anyway, working feverishly on this little tweak. We are giving some serious consideration to just having it be a "beta patch", because there were a few other things we were going to add, but have had to put them on the back burner for the time being... We are sorry for any inconvenience for this.

Old 06-01-20, 10:14 AM   #1151
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Bug Report : Missing texture on NKLSS Hansa Maru Freighter.

EDIT : False alarm - the texture was embedded in the .DAT file. Apologies.

Last edited by DanielCoffey; 06-01-20 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Problem solved
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 10:39 AM   #1152
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Default FOTRSU Scopes

I have a "personal taste" question:

About the scopes and optics in FOTRSU. As I wrote, only for my taste, I prefer small scopes graphics in the scope views, of the size of default, TMO or RFB (BTW I consider the scopes graphics in RFB the best in any SH4 megamod). The scopes in FOTRSU are great, I live very well with them, but the small sized graphics of RFB (or vanilla, or TMO), are more immersive for me.

Then: Could I change the graphics of the FOTRSU scopes (those in american skins folder), by those of RFB without ruin all the FOTRSU optics? I mean: I know I should change the cameras.dat file from FOTRSU by that of RFB. But I´m not secure if this change of cameras doesn´t affect all the FOTRSU optics system on manual targeting, and also how it could work with the measures in the FOTRSU recognition manual. Is there some possibility to add in a future update an optional small size scopes as an JSGME compatible mod? If there isn´t any problem changing the skins and the cameras.dat from RFB, I can do it myself. My principal concern is about how the cameras.dat of RFB could change the optics in FOTRSU, and the manual targeting system. With autotargeting, there isn´t any problem with this change.

Many thanks for the attention for this very personal request...

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 10:50 AM   #1153
Frank Ravelli
Sailor man

Downloads: 83
Uploads: 1
Default Do I need uboat missions add on?

Sorry if this has been answwered before, but there are 51 pages of posts already. I own the DVD with the core game, but not yhe add on. Can I still use this mod?
Thanks
Frank Ravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 10:53 AM   #1154
DanielCoffey
Planesman

I don't think so, no. The mod requires the UBoat Missions. They are available on Steam if you have access to that.
Old 06-01-20, 12:44 PM   #1155
Frank Ravelli
Sailor man

Downloads: 83
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
I don't think so, no. The mod requires the UBoat Missions. They are available on Steam if you have access to that.

Ok, thank you. The thing is that I have the dvd version and dont like the idea of buying the core game twice in order to have it in steam...
Frank Ravelli is offline   Reply With Quote