SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-31-16, 07:27 AM   #976
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

It might also need a new entry in Data/Roster/Defside.cfg

I have just had a quick look through it and cannot see an entry for Thailand

This a complete guess by the way - I have never messed around with this file

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-16, 07:50 AM   #977
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
Sorry for the intrusion my friends, but can you ad in this fantastic mod some ships of the royal Thay Navy and of the Manchukko navy please? If you will add these navy in the mod it would be great.
And sorry for my bad english.
Yes, it can be done. Several files need to be added to....... Names.cfg; Defside.cfg; a new entry in the Roster list; the countries flag in the Textures/tex/TNormal folder, and the flag in the appropriate Recognition Manual folder. Not to mention the asset you wish to represent the countries Navy. Without looking, I'm suspecting their Navy at the time were made up of older British or American ships (maybe Dutch as well). Once in-game, a person could use the assets to design missions for them, or add them to the Campaign Missions for historical reasons.

Adding them to the game makes as much sense as having the Indian representative already included.

===============

When you wrote "royal Thay Navy" you're talking about Thailand aren't you?

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 07-31-16 at 08:09 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-16, 08:51 AM   #978
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It's amazing sometimes, what a person can find on the internet. It also amazes me how "detailed" some folks get, and those little details... The "little" guys that get lost in the big picture. The struggle for survival.

Royal Thai Navy WWII on a different site, of course.

I never knew they were "Axis"... 'Course, big, world military powerhouse steamrolling through the area, it may have been to their advantage. A couple of those ships, and not just that one Thai ship, look like if they did a broadside with those big guns, that they'd roll over and capsize from the shock. Even the size of the forward turret's guns look to be almost enough to "tip the scale" if just turned to a broadside...

An Iowa broadside. I got the picture from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa-c...a_bb-61_pr.jpg Imagine being a fish below that behemoth...

I found a few references to when the US Navy, for the build-up in the 80's, went to put modern electronics on the Iowa Class BBs, that the shock from the big guns being shot would knock things out, actually destroy the electronics... wow.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-31-16 at 09:14 AM. Reason: changed picture link
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-16, 09:18 AM   #979
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Speaking of the Bismark and the idea that its in the Pacific some how?!? Does FOTRS have it in a single mission, or within the campaign game? Just wondering, because I've been thinking about the Akagi and Kaga CV's (and a couple of other ships as well in FOTRS). These ships are pulled from the game at their respective death dates (least that's how FOTRS has them). I'd like to see them run the entire length of the game like most of the other assets in-game. Yes, it wouldn't be "historically authentic" but what the heck, neither is the Bismark in the Pacific, or finding the Yamamoto again after just sinking it in the last patrol.

The Bismarck has been included in a single mission for FOTRS. It's in one of the single missions I've just created. The mission is called "Maximum Effort".

The game already uses some of the ships past their historical sinking dates. The Hiryu has been used many times by the game in WTW. I've encountered the Soryu in a Task Force in early '44 heading to Tokyo Bay in FOTRS.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 07-31-16 at 09:30 AM.
cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-16, 09:37 AM   #980
propbeanie

... So, how does one use a ship that's past it's "death" date in a Single Mission? Is that field on the properties page "editable"?...

Old 07-31-16, 09:40 AM   #981
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Has anyone seen the Italian warships of VonDos from SHIII?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136508

Old 07-31-16, 09:46 AM   #982
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

On another front has anyone else encountered this when opening a save in Career Mode. When the save opens the Chief Engineer keepes repeating "Torpedo in the water"?

Old 07-31-16, 09:52 AM   #983
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... So, how does one use a ship that's past it's "death" date in a Single Mission? Is that field on the properties page "editable"?...
[UnitClass]
ClassName=CVKaga
UnitType=9
AppearanceDate=19370930
DisappearanceDate=19421231
DisplayName=JP CV Kaga

The above is from the Kaga's cfg file. You'll note that it's disappearance date is Dec 31, 1942. I imagine changing the Disappearance date to Dec 31, 1945 is all that needs to be done. Just a guess on my part though.

Old 07-31-16, 12:38 PM   #984
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Has anyone seen the Italian warships of VonDos from SHIII?
Not since I played SHIII years ago... Has it really been 2008 that he did that?

Quote:
On another front has anyone else encountered this when opening a save in Career Mode. When the save opens the Chief Engineer keepes repeating "Torpedo in the water"?
This sounds like another incident of "The Sound", just with a different "stuck" audio part... Can you describe the circumstances of your save? In the middle of an attack, lot's of ships nearby? Had you used TC any (silly question... sorry), had you dived below "test" depth?, etc. These and many more questions shall be asked as we move forward with this investigation... |;^) - Oh! Have you applied the "802_Emulate_Stock"?

Quote:
[UnitClass]
ClassName=CVKaga
UnitType=9
AppearanceDate=19370930
DisappearanceDate=19421231
DisplayName=JP CV Kaga

The above is from the Kaga's cfg file. You'll note that it's disappearance date is Dec 31, 1942. I imagine changing the Disappearance date to Dec 31, 1945 is all that needs to be done. Just a guess on my part though.
Thanks for that. Another future "Certified Ultimate ®" mod for someone to build... and add their "What If?" Single Missions pack to... :wink:

Old 07-31-16, 12:40 PM   #985
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1755
Default Alot!

Quote:
All the time. And then I think it also triggers the game to drop all of the previous sinking's from your record for that patrol. I have always wondered what causes it and it is very annoying.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-16, 12:43 PM   #986
J0313
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Not since I played SHIII years ago... Has it really been 2008 that he did that?

This sounds like another incident of "The Sound", just with a different "stuck" audio part... Can you describe the circumstances of your save? In the middle of an attack, lot's of ships nearby? Had you used TC any (silly question... sorry), had you dived below "test" depth?, etc. These and many more questions shall be asked as we move forward with this investigation... |;^) - Oh! Have you applied the "802_Emulate_Stock"?

Thanks for that. Another future "Certified Ultimate ®" mod for someone to build... and add their "What If?" Single Missions pack to... :wink:
The torpedo in the water dialogue comes up in many different save configs. I can't really pinpoint if there is one particular thing that triggers it.
Old 07-31-16, 12:44 PM   #987
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
All the time. And then I think it also triggers the game to drop all of the previous sinking's from your record for that patrol. I have always wondered what causes it and it is very annoying.
Can you describe your circumstances too, J0313? Also, what boats are you folks in? I've seen the sinking records disappear before, but not just in FotRS or Ultimate, but in Stock and TMO and wtw, etc... It'd be nice to know what corrupts the Save File when that happens. Size? Circustances of save (ie: lots of action going on in the game, etc.). Can you guys look in your "Save" folder, and see how big the file is?

Old 07-31-16, 12:53 PM   #988
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
his sounds like another incident of "The Sound", just with a different "stuck" audio part... Can you describe the circumstances of your save? In the middle of an attack, lot's of ships nearby? Had you used TC any (silly question... sorry), had you dived below "test" depth?, etc. These and many more questions shall be asked as we move forward with this investigation... |;^) - Oh! Have you applied the "802_Emulate_Stock"?

I usually don't pay attention to when I save a mission. I usally save when there is nothing else around, I've been known to save once in awhile when still using TC. I will pay closer attention to this.

No, I've not tried the "802_Emulate_Stock" D/ling now.

Quote:
and add their "What If?" Single Missions pack to... :wink:
All of my missions are "What if". I pay very little attention to hysterical fact.

Old 07-31-16, 05:27 PM   #989
J0313
Grey Wolf

Quote:
I usually don't pay attention to when I save a mission. I usally save when there is nothing else around, I've been known to save once in awhile when still using TC. I will pay closer attention to this.

No, I've not tried the "802_Emulate_Stock" D/ling now.

All of my missions are "What if". I pay very little attention to hysterical fact.
I always save in real time with no TC applied and I make sure there is nothing around. I do know that it is quite common in TMO w RSRDC. I think that the problem lies somewhere within one of them. And I do know that it seems to happen after you send a 2nd patrol report. In other words after your first sinking. It seems to happen when you report subsequent sinking's. And it seems to happen en route to the assigned patrol area. In fact I don't send reports at all any more because until after I have finished a patrol assignment. I know this sounds confusing because it is and I wish I could be more clear. I apologize.
Old 07-31-16, 06:28 PM   #990
propbeanie

I understand all that J0313. There are so many variables involved in this game, that sometimes you wonder if the sneeze you just did caused something. You actually might have something there with that "send a 2nd patrol report" thingie. FotRS is based on TMO v1.7, so I wonder if it's in there?... Tho it does seem to me that I've lost my sinkings in stock even... Right now, I'm trying to remember and write down the sizes of the different files in the save folder, and try to see if there's any correlation there...

In the meantime, I've been cleaning out some of my bmp screen grabs and deleting them. Gosh, it's amazing how many of those I've done the last few weeks. I've went probably years without doing it before this. Maybe when I first started playing SH4, I did that... yeah, pretty sure I did... but these are cool...

A Japanese heavy cruiser takes a couple more hits...

Duh pooh widdle catapult ship... It took two torps and a large surface round real close together. Makes an impressive fireball...

and here's that German "Z" destroyer in all it's glory:

I left the link to Photobucket "active" there on these so you can go see 'em up close. Again though, just be careful what you click on around there. The picture after this one in the folder is an up close shot, showing where the "base" model came from... spoiler alert: it has Japanese markings...

btw, cdsubron7... I'm still out on that first patrol, the orders say "Honshu", but the map says "Kyushu". When the primary was completed a while back, it again said "Honshu". I am definitely South and West of Honshu, South & West of Bungo Suido. I'm gonna have to start back (take the long way home) because of fuel levels in the ole Porpoise boat. Nary a contact, other than about a dozen airplanes patrolling the area. Not even a fishing boat to shoot at, and it's almost January!!! I'm sure something will show-up sometime soon...

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-31-16 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Patrol Report