SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-22-18, 12:17 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Windows Media Player 12 64 Bit for Windows 10 needed

Has anyone a reliable download link? I need that thing since it is the player that the publisher of my Video Editor, Cyberlink, for whatever a stupid reasons has ptimised his software for - although it is dead and officially withdrawn by Microschrott. It is not on my system it seems, and I nly find links to older verisons, 32 Bit versions, and dubiouzs sites that want ti implkement dubios downloaders on my rig.

What the heck was wrong with WMP that Microschrott withdrew it earlier this year, I read? I mean I do not use my Windows rig for anything else than playing anyway, and now for video editing (since it is the much more powerful hardware compared to my Linux platform).

Anyway, I need a WMP 12, 64 bit, and clean and reliable the source. No dubious downloaders. It is not available from microsoft anymore, the Microsoft links I tried all ended on info sites, without any download possibilities.
Old 12-22-18, 03:54 PM   #2
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Have a look at the link below Sky, it might help or it might not, I would make a restore point before doing anything they show you to do but that's up to you old boy, 2nd bit of advice is, trust no one on the internet.

Old 12-22-18, 04:12 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Thanks, Moonlight, I ust came back to delete this question - and there was you.

I tried some links from Microsoft knoweldge base to lead me to the version for Windows 10 N built 1709, and it did not work. A couple of downloads from other sites were just installers they wnated to pout on my system - and in such cases my paranoia-control and digital combat operation centre know only one colour: pulsating blood-red. And some other thigns I tried did not work, too.

I finally got it insbtalled via ther App centre i8n W 10. Point is, I am not that familiar with W10, since I neve rhave anything installed via the app centre, I do not use thios platform for anything, just gaming (and now video editiing). I also had to loosen some settings I had set and deactivate a windows update blocker and had to defione my connection as unmetered again, to gewt the download started. I then had to interrupt manually twice and reboot as often, since the download and the HD LED started to freeze. After reboot, it continued where it had stopped before. After three rounds of cursing and high blood pressure rates, it finally was done. What a damn monumental relief. I hate Windows 10 and Microsoft'S damn business policy.

So thanks for your reply, Moonlight. We missed each other by minutes only.

For those beign interested, Windows 10 N and KN are versions that do not have the media suite pre-sinatalled with Windows, due to demands by the European commission that it shall no longer be inbcluded in preinstalled Windows. Thats why I thought it would work with mine after my Media player went amiss. Earlier this year, the Media player was offiocially retired by Microsoft, it was even deleted by some KB-update on many systems, to force users onto a replacement software by microsoft that it saw users not spending the demanded amount of love for it. It seems that is what happened to me. Without the Vidoe editor installaito today I would not have even noticed that it was gone, sicne I use this rig not for anything beyond playing.
Old 12-22-18, 04:15 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

I see the video goes the same way I did, via the N and KN version of Windows. It does not work. I could download that file, but the installation gets stopped early due to non-matching Wiondows versions beign complkained about in the error message. Of course I choosed build 1709, and earlier 64 bit, since this is what I am running by.
Old 12-22-18, 05:15 PM   #5
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

mark ayman on youtube had the same problem that you have Sky,
the question,
thanks but i have a problem while setup a mess box appears with title windows stand alone .... and it says that this update is not applicable to your computer.

the answer,
What version of windows do you have? and can update to the latest version as his:
Edition: Windows 10pro
Version: 1803
Installed on: 03/29/2018
Os build: 17133.1
Link update: 

I have no idea if this other link sheds any light on the problem, if it doesn't you can always blame those brain dead idiots at Microsnot.
Old 12-22-18, 05:45 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

The point is I am intentionally with built 1709, not 1803 or 1809. I want to eavde the messy stuff happenign with the later builds as long as I can (which is I think half a year or a full year). So when I choosed 1709 for the update, that was correct - my system IS on 1709 for sure.

My failed installation did not even go that far as in that video, but already locked before the Media player screen showed up. Only an error box appeared after clikcing the installer.

I would not have even asked if I would have known better about the new system of the app store. I had not used that one before in Windows 10, not since I have it (12 months). No need for it, all my games come either from disc, or Steam.