SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-20-19, 01:50 AM   #1
hamm
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Good missions for playing while learning the game?

There aren't any tutorial missions or anything right? So is there anything that's easy or basic enough that's good for learning the game? Also, I think I heard that you can import missions from the other games by the devs, and I got them all in a pretty cheap bundle on steam, so if there's anything like a tutorial or a beginner mission in any of those either, that'd be good.
hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-19, 09:42 AM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Hello! You can check out my tutorial series (shameless plug). I go over everything about the game in a technical sense, there's not much in the way of tactics in my tutorials. But since Dangerous Waters is a procedural sim, knowing how everything works is most of the battle: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...-p2qHIpRNOvpGQ

Also, be sure to read the manual. There's lots of good information there. In terms of first missions to play, I would just start with the default campaign, Russian Rebellion. It's not difficult and starts out easy and gets more difficult as you progress while giving you a try at all the platforms.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-19, 11:16 AM   #3
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

You can also get used to saving a mission or campaign at key times.
This is how many people learned to beat the stock missions.
Also, there is no shame in playing a mission two or three times. DW awards experience, the more you play it the better you get.

Try to stick with the stock game at first, as Chazly said.
Once that starts to feel old, there are missions and campaigns you can download here. Just be sure the missions you download are for the version of the game you're playing. There is also the Mission Editor where you can create your own stuff.

Understand that people have been playing these Sonalysts games for years. You have the entire world's oceans to play in. You can also develop your own tactics and play the game the way you want to play it.

There are also Mod versions of DW you may want to check out after you've seen and done everything in the stock game. The Mods change the look of the 3DO models and also how they operate. They also expand the number of Navies and ship classes. There are two basic mods for DW:

LWAMI- Available in two versions, 3.08 and 3.11. LWAMI expands the number of Navies and ship classes while updating some of the 3DO models. LWAMI was designed for single player and MP and adds some challenges by changing some of the sonar displays (this was done for better MP play-ability but also works nicely for single player use).

Reinforce Alert (RA)- RA is still being developed and adds newer 3DO models, more playable platforms, weps controls, sensors, etc., etc.
The database of ship classes and nations is huge.
The one downside to RA (IMO) is that it concentrates ONLY on MP, which makes it tough for newer players who are still learning the ropes. You can try to play the included single missions in single player mode but they are extremely difficult (basically, there's no where to hide in RA).
Hopefully, things will start to even out for single player mode as the mod develops (A-hem..).
Still, RA has a solid crew of modders behind it and they don't rush out new versions just for the heck of it. Its a stunning mod just to look at, never mind the game play.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-19, 04:42 PM   #4
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
The one downside to RA (IMO) is that it concentrates ONLY on MP, which makes it tough for newer players who are still learning the ropes. You can try to play the included single missions in single player mode but they are extremely difficult.
Its not truth - RA is as good for single as vanilla or Lwami. But MP in RA is much more better than those two.

Quote:
(basically, there's no where to hide in RA).
Playing submarine is not about being hidden but about fulfilling your tasks in secret to enemy.

Thread linked below shows @ET2SN is wrong (again).
link
My video shows you can drive your Los Angeles class 30 kts, only 7.5 nmi from pinging enemy and you won't be detected if you did it well.
(Mission was played in RA 1.48)

Btw for learning i recommend vanilla game - it's because original campaign is not compatibile with RA
Also very good @FPSChazly's tutorials are made for vanilla.
RA chcnges many game aspects so you should have basic knowledge before installing this mod.

In other hand, Reinforce Alert have rebuilded campaigns and single scenarios from 688 H/K and Sub Command.
Old 06-20-19, 06:34 PM   #5
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
Its not truth - RA is as good for single as vanilla or Lwami. But MP in RA is much more better than those two.

No, it is not truth. It is our opinion that it is not as good

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-19, 08:04 AM   #6
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Your opinions are only "opinions" i had proof (video) not empty words. You both are wrong.

Sentence:
Quote:
RA (IMO) is that it concentrates ONLY on MP
...is ridiculous :P
Old 06-21-19, 09:23 AM   #7
Pirate
Lieutenant

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Still, RA has a solid crew of modders behind it and they don't rush out new versions just for the heck of it. Its a stunning mod just to look at, never mind the game play.
IMO, R.A. is a Bug festival with new interfaces poorly done.
R.A. is about quantity, not quality!
Old 06-21-19, 10:05 AM   #8
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Most complaining can not install the game correctly - this causes their problems

They do not understand RA needs clear installation - not upgrading
In other hand DW is not working well on Win 10
But this is not RA issue

Quote:
IMO, R.A. is a Bug festival with new interfaces poorly done.
R.A. is about quantity, not quality!
Its funny because i've recorded over 300 videos from RA and never had "bug festival with new inrefaces"
Old 06-21-19, 11:09 AM   #9
Pirate
Lieutenant

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
Its funny because i've recorded over 300 videos from RA and never had "bug festival with new inrefaces"
Maybe you should take a closer look at your own 300+ videos, cause the bugs are there in plain sight.

The new interfaces usually have misaligned elements and graphical glitches when interacting with buttons for instance.
The attention to detail is just not there!

But they are not only graphical, there's also out of place messages like the "periscope #2 is flooded" when a torpedo shutsdown or voice message saying the torpedo wire has been cut on a tube that has previously fired a missile...

Look at 3:32 - 3:42