SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-10-19, 08:00 AM   #1966
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 0

Feel a bit sorry for Arsenal and Chelsea fans who are going travel to the game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48220247
Old 05-10-19, 08:04 AM   #1967
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Aye, quite a trip ahead of them

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 01:05 PM   #1968
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

It took me 15 months to reach Baku in Grigsby's War in the East, and that was starting on the Romanian border! It's a long haul

I saw a report that United are interested in signing Swansea's Daniel James. Grain of salt and all, but I wouldn't dismiss it necessarily. I think I can already see Solksjaer's plan. He wants to create a terracotta '99 team.

So this guy is Giggs (well he is fast) and then you'll see the new Scholes, and the new Beckham, Yorke and well you get the idea. This is going to be fun. Ole has already said it will be a miracle for United to qualify for the CL next year. Hmmm, already downplaying expectations. Too bad he can't just clone Fergie. They even just signed Phelan to a 3 year deal. The best players want out, the manager looks overmatched and Woodward is in charge. Fun summer ahead.

As to the all-English finals.... fantastic it is. La Liga was crowing about their dominance recently, and it must be a bitter pill. It's an amazing feat when you think about it. For four English sides to all navigate their knockout tournaments and reach the final, and also to not have knocked each other out along the way, is amazing. So many things have to happen just right. Seedings, the draw, the performances. Good stuff.
Old 05-11-19, 09:43 AM   #1969
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Tomorrow is the final day of the Premier League and TOON are away to Fulham.

Old 05-11-19, 09:53 AM   #1970
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Derby v Leeds in the play off semi final 1st leg, the other semi final saw Aston Villa beat WBA by 2 goals to 1
Old 05-11-19, 09:59 AM   #1971
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Mackems play Portsmouth tonight in the division One play offs.

You know, the Division they said they would win easily at the beginning of the season

Old 05-12-19, 11:42 AM   #1972
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Well done to City. They earned this title, nothing cheap about it.

Liverpool did what they had to do, but it wasn't enough. A fantastic season for them.

It's odd but I don't feel bad about it. Optimistic. It was thrilling to be along for this ride, even if they fell short in the end. Going on 30 years now and it would have been brilliant, but the future looks so bright. Liverpool need to keep right on going. Smart recruitment and keep Klopp happy. A Champion's League title would be nice consolation

The truth is that Liverpool, as good as they are, and for all they have achieved, have holes. Specifically, they are too reliant on the front three for goals. They need to develop a goal threat from midfield. City have it. Everywhere else they are terrific. The defense/keeper are fantastic, and will be so for a long time. If Gomez gets back to his best after this lost season who would have a better back five? I mentioned fullback assists earlier, and I have to see what TAA and Robertson ended up with. It must be a high number.

Liverpool's midfield often outplayed the opposition's throughout the season. But they need to add goals. Do that, and Liverpool would be odds-on to win it next season for me.

Special mention for Wolves' amazing return. Best promoted campaign in ages. They were fun to watch all season. They are an interesting case with the Mendes connection. You could feel that they were able to get players of a higher caliber than perhaps they would have otherwise, as if the relationship gives them an advantage that other Championship teams don't enjoy. It will be interesting what happens with their squad this summer. A player like Neves could get in any team in Europe.

Everton, Leicester, and West Ham can feel it was job well done I think. And Watford with their highest ever finish I think.

The biggest surprise for me was how the top-six became the top-two. Chelsea, United, Arsenal and Tottenham finished so far behind I think all of them should be concerned. What was it, 25 points to third? United finished 32 points behind City.

But a fantastic title race, and a very entertaining season. Just wish it wasn't over.
Old 05-13-19, 12:30 PM   #1973
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Team of the season for me were definitely Wolves.

Not too impressed with Brighton over the sacking of Chris Hughton but Newcastle did the same back in 2010 despite them gaining promotion out of the Championship.

Hopefully we will find out next week if Rafa is going to stay or go.

Old 05-13-19, 03:31 PM   #1974
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Let me guess.... Curbishley's 5-1 odds for the Brighton post right?

But yeah, I agree with you. He'll land on his feet. I think he's well-respected, hell even I respect Hughton, and I don't like anyone.
Old 05-14-19, 06:24 AM   #1975
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Uefa investigators want Manchester City to be banned from the Champions League for a season if they are found guilty of breaking financial rules.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48265079
How could anyone accuse City of such a thing?

Old 05-15-19, 12:39 PM   #1976
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

From that article

"investigators now want rules upheld"

Haha!

Not surprised of course if City are in breach, but would likely die of shock if they were banned from the CL over this. Money will change hands (well, more of it anyway) and it will all be settled by a 'fine' and maybe an admonishment over their naughty behavior and a warning to not be naughty anymore.

FFP is a joke. The only reason this is even happening is the football leaks stuff that Der Spiegel published. UEFA would not have found anything on their own, and even if they had, it's all hush hush, look under the table, I am handing you an envelope to uh, help with youth football, err, yeah that's it. Youth football. Spend it as you see fit.

Platini gone. Blatter gone. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
Old 05-16-19, 05:39 AM   #1977
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

I dont want metion what happened last night
Old 05-16-19, 07:18 AM   #1978
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossMark View Post
I dont want metion what happened last night
I do, I thought the Derby fightback was a fantastic achievement.

Before the game I gave them no chance but now I reckon they'll be the favourites to beat Villa despite the two league results this past season.

Hopefully Pompey will have their shooting boots on tonight.

Old 05-16-19, 08:28 AM   #1979
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I do, I thought the Derby fightback was a fantastic achievement.

Well TBH Derby didnt win Leeds gave it to them on a plate. As for our keeper well think he thought he was playing sweeper and a very bad one too..
Old 05-17-19, 05:34 AM   #1980
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Mackems went through last night so hopefully Charlton will see off Doncaster and triumph in the final.

Tags
british football