SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-11-12, 08:54 AM   #31
JudoJoe61
Swabbie

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

I may be mistaken, but I believe they actually built a fully functioning (or possibly just surface running) U-boat for Das Boot. Along with a scale model for many of the submerged scenes. At least I think that's what I saw in the special features section on my copy.
JudoJoe61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 09:17 AM   #32
Kloef
Weps

Downloads: 30

The Atomic Submarine

By far the worst ever made submarine movie of all times..

http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/
Kloef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 10:38 AM   #33
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudoJoe61 View Post
I may be mistaken, but I believe they actually built a fully functioning (or possibly just surface running) U-boat for Das Boot. Along with a scale model for many of the submerged scenes. At least I think that's what I saw in the special features section on my copy.
There was a mockup of the deck and conning tower at La Rochelle, which was mostly used in the port scenes, another conning tower built inside a studio that was used for most of the surface scenes, a full U-boat interior built inside a studio (which is now a museum), and several scale models - which are what you mostly see both in the surfaced and submerged scenes, actually.

Another film was shooting at the same time as Das Boot - Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark. Lucas convinced Petersen's team to lend the floating deck and conning tower, and it can be seen in that film. In the process of filming, they actually managed to successfully break it and it sank in its dock. The Das Boot crew patched it up just barely enough to float for the final scene, in which it sinks. So if anyone asks, the film's U-96 was actually sunk by Indiana Jones and Steven Spielberg

edit: from Wikipedia -
Quote:
The outdoor mock-up was basically a shell propelled with a small engine, and stationed in La Rochelle, France and has a history of its own. One morning the production crew walked out to where they kept it afloat and found it missing. Someone had forgotten to inform the crew that an American filmmaker had rented the mock-up for his own film shooting in the area. This filmmaker was Steven Spielberg and the film he was shooting was Raiders of the Lost Ark. A few weeks later, during production, the mock-up cracked in a storm and sank, was recovered and patched to stand in for the final scenes. The full-sized mock-up was used during the Gibraltar surface scenes; the bomber plane (a Douglas SBD Dauntless dive bomber) and rockets were real while the British ships were models.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 02:26 PM   #34
tommo8993
Helmsman

Downloads: 17

I remember seeing a b-movie on tv a while ago call akula. The (new) russian submarine that went rouge and a scantly clad nurse who was captured took up arm with her super strong body-builder rescuer and spent 90 minutes killing russians on a near sci-fi sub.... the sub even had windows with light blue water outside....
tommo8993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 03:28 PM   #35
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
If it has Dolph Lundgen in it, you know its bad.
Hey! You leave Dolph outta this!

The Swedes will riot.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 03:41 PM   #36
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

What kills me is the fact that 90% of sub movies have the subs going around with their active sonar constantly blaring. Every time there's a scene with them inside the sub, there's ALWAYS that *Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!*
Yet they still manage to be stealthy somehow.
Old 09-11-12, 04:30 PM   #37
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
What kills me is the fact that 90% of sub movies have the subs going around with their active sonar constantly blaring. Every time there's a scene with them inside the sub, there's ALWAYS that *Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!*
90% of sub movies in the underwater setting has that ping. even just regular movies with subs. Ping-ping-ping...

It makes me want to throw a brick through my TV.
Old 09-11-12, 05:10 PM   #38
soopaman2
Der Alte

Excellent observation.

But the pinging, and tensed faces, as they stare to the sky, makes for great drama for the movie watching rubes, but makes anyone who knows anything cringe.

You have to remember, we are simmers.

We strive for a game, where you die on your first patrol. We strive for a game to get harder as time passes, not easier as you upgrade past your enemies.

We are realists, and feel slighted when things are not represented properly. (U571? America found the Enigma? lulz)

So barring the subsimmers bible, (Das Boot) there is very few good sub movies.

Alot of us try to compare all sub flicks to that, and it is kinda unfair.

-Winston Churchill-

Old 09-11-12, 05:15 PM   #39
CSA FD
Watch

Downloads: 0
SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrolosis View Post
So yeah, probably U-571 is my 1st worst pick followed up by "Grey lady down". Which was a 1970's movie about a ohio class that got rammed by a freighter and sank. "What the hell would a missle boat be doing that close to the surface in open ocean in the 1st place".
I have to totally agree with CSA FA on his hit list of best sub movie's though. I have one question that maybe someone could answer for me. Was Das Boot actually filmed on a U-boat and if it was where was it?
i actually liked "Grey Lady Down" good cast:
Charlton Heston
Ronny Cox
Stacy Keach
Christopher Reeve
Old 09-11-12, 06:12 PM   #40
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
Yeah I was watching an episode of the British sci-fi series Primeval, and it began with a submarine pinging away so hard that they could have run over that guy from the hunt for red october's daughter's stereo without hearing it! ( the episode then instantly redeems itself by having a genuine sub class in it [Upholder class diesel electric sub] and the line, " Well, I've seen all the movies, y'know, Das Boot and all that...)
Old 09-11-12, 08:51 PM   #41
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-13 View Post
I love submarines, but I haven't seen enough of them to give an "actual worst" since I'm sure there are ones that deserve the title better to the one I'm going to name, which I'm sure alot of people liked.

With that said, I thought Hunt for Red October was pretty terrible, the whole plot about defecting was bad enough, but the idea of the newest ship in the fleet is given to a Captain who while highly decorated as the movie claims but his loyalty to his country isn't insured especially for a nuclear submarine? and rest of the crew would go along? Let alone the fact supposedly the XO of this ship would be a Political Officer?

It's a decent rambo style cold war action movie, but not my idea of a submarine movie.

Ramius was Lithuanian, not Russian, an his wife was killed by the soviet bureaucracy, so he had motive too.

That's why decent movie based on excellent books still suck.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 09:30 PM   #42
soopaman2
Der Alte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
That's why decent movie based on excellent books still suck.

I have to agree, being an avid Tom Clancy reader, this movie was not done well, too little background character development, and the movie gave an entirely different vibe from the book. It seemed to hurry the plot too much IMHO. The movie telegraphed the plot twist at the end, while it blindsided you in the book.

But the worse? Nah, I would put this as one of the better, though nowhere near the best.

-Winston Churchill-

Old 09-12-12, 12:12 PM   #43
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
I have to agree, being an avid Tom Clancy reader, this movie was not done well, too little background character development, and the movie gave an entirely different vibe from the book. It seemed to hurry the plot too much IMHO. The movie telegraphed the plot twist at the end, while it blindsided you in the book.

Personally, I think "The Hunt For Red October" (the film), is probably one of the most overrated subfilms of all time. Not to mention that I'm not too fond of Alec Baldwin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
The Syfy movie Sea Snakes (or Silent Venom) almost made my face burn off when I watched it. Nothing about the sub was correct except that it goes underwater. Sheesh. Give it a netflix if you think u can stomach it. The sub looks like a 688, but it's a SSK!! Exact quote from movie "this baby runs pretty quiet on electric motors" and the Chinese dropped a DEPTH CHARGE!?!? One charge, somehow, bangs up a 688 SSK. Then, the Chinese shoot a torp. Well that is a disaster. Ugh. Terrible movie.

I guess you got to cut them some slack, it's a low budget film. They probably only could get access to a WWII SSK at best. But yeah, electric motors on a 688i? And a depth charge? That's just inexcusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
I've not seen that one but I did see this horrible excuse for a sub movie:

The only thing good about it was the paneling they picked out to line the inside of the sub's control room.
I left the movie theater after about 35 minutes of torture. Fortunately "Men at Work" was playing in the adjacent theater.
Wait, "Full Fathom Five" was shown in theaters? I thought it was direct-to-video. But yeah, ramming? And I thought that one game that had USAF enlisted ranks painted on nuclear submarines was bad.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 01:40 PM   #44
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Worst U boat film: Das Boot 2, about a (???!!!) Monsun boat, a type XXI (or so...), in Pacific waters, with japanese and german crew...Agh!

"A few weeks before the end of the war Lieutenant Commander Gerber has been ordered to sail to Japan carrying a load of Uranium oxide, which is one of the key components to build an atomic bomb, Gerber will also have to take passengers, amongst them two japanese navy officers, a fanatical military judge, and a man who is involved in the conspiracy to assasin Hitler. To make the journey even more dangerous a spy in the U-boat´s base in Kristiansand, Norway has sent a message warning the British about the U-boat." (from IMDB).

The story of the LTC Gerber´s boat is based on the true story of Wolfgang Hirschfeld´s book "U-boat Diary" although much dramatized.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.

Last edited by fitzcarraldo; 09-12-12 at 07:23 PM.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 04:20 PM   #45
John Ellis
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 8
Default Movie

I Never heard of that movie Full Fathom five...
cheking it out tonihgt
John Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote