SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-29-09, 12:51 PM   #16
U812
Sparky

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I always do that. But as for trim, and steady hand on the dive planes and good trim of the boat before operation combined with the ballast tank control. It you visit my website you can see many such boats(not as large) in operation on video.

Steve
U812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 03:29 PM   #17
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Is this the Robbe U-47 kit?
Old 05-31-09, 03:57 PM   #18
U812
Sparky

The Robbe is much smaller and less scale top a degree. It's also vacuum formed not and fiber glass hull like this one. The Robbe is a great boat though. I'm not knocking it only pointing out the differences. With after market brass decks and a bit of hand detail it turns into a fine VIIC.

Steve
Old 06-01-09, 09:11 AM   #19
Siara
Grey Wolf

Really nice build you got going here Steve. I will follow it closely.
Id like to see the proper SBS with lot of pictures, and maybe one day i can use your thread to build one myself.

Master Models
Siara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 12:41 PM   #20
U812
Sparky

I'd really love to see that from you. The place to get the ultimate VIIC kit is from my good friend Bob in the UK at: http://www.otwdesigns.com/index.html

Some thing to think about.

Steve
Old 06-01-09, 02:37 PM   #21
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by U812 View Post
The Robbe is much smaller and less scale top a degree. It's also vacuum formed not and fiber glass hull like this one. The Robbe is a great boat though. I'm not knocking it only pointing out the differences. With after market brass decks and a bit of hand detail it turns into a fine VIIC.

Steve
Do you know if that robbe kit comes with everything you need to get it running? (sans servos)

I hear this kit is harder to build, but it is way better than the dumas gato model.

Do you think a beginner could do the robbe kit?
Old 06-01-09, 02:46 PM   #22
U812
Sparky

You might be able too. The Dumas is a sort of Gato and hard to build and not very well running. The Robbe on the other hand is. But it takes time.

It doesn't include the servos, ESC, RX or batteries. It includes the motors, props, tech rack to mount your electronics too. It's a very good price for what you get. You'll need and radio. When you buy one it usually comes with 3-4 servos and the RX (receiver).

The electronics speed control is about 40 bucks and a battery again that.

A basic radio, ground, 6 CH is about 120-160 bucks depending on the brand. You have to use 75 MHz. You can not use and RC airplane frequency radio it's against the law and a good one too. 2.4 ghz will not work under water so forget them too.

Steve
Old 06-01-09, 02:52 PM   #23
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by U812 View Post
You might be able too. The Dumas is a sort of Gato and hard to build and not very well running. The Robbe on the other hand is. But it takes time.

It doesn't include the servos, ESC, RX or batteries. It includes the motors, props, tech rack to mount your electronics too. It's a very good price for what you get. You'll need and radio. When you buy one it usually comes with 3-4 servos and the RX (receiver).

The electronics speed control is about 40 bucks and a battery again that.

A basic radio, ground, 6 CH is about 120-160 bucks depending on the brand. You have to use 75 MHz. You can not use and RC airplane frequency radio it's against the law and a good one too. 2.4 ghz will not work under water so forget them too.

Steve
Cool. I need to look into it again I'd much rather have the rc sub than plane, and I like the WW2 subs more than modern ones. I need to find a robbe kit price, that will give me something to do at work in my spare time.

I wish I could just pay somebody to build it and I would paint it.
Old 06-05-09, 08:54 PM   #24
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

Could you point me in the right direction for some resources for someone who'd be interested in producing an rc submarine for the first time?
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 09:01 PM   #25
U812
Sparky

www.subpirates.com
Old 06-05-09, 09:05 PM   #26
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

hey thanks for the quick response! it looks like a great hobby. Nice azaleas in the picture by the way!
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 10:33 PM   #27
U812
Sparky

You bet. She's a pay site but for twenty a year you get all the information you'll ever need. Lots of nice people there and it's all about love of the hobby.

I created the site years ago and last year gave it over to Matt Thor. One of the best builders in the hobby.

Enjoy. And if you join tell them I sent you.

Steve
Old 06-06-09, 12:32 AM   #28
U812
Sparky

Been working a bit every night before rack time on restoring this old CT. It has a long way to go. It was missing so many parts and I had to scratch build them. Long way to go but it's starting to take shape again. It needs lots of sanding and filling. Even up the edges on the splash shield. Add all kinds of brass. Not to mention the UZO and the railings.This CT is over 25 years old at best.

This weekend I hope to get the limber holes in the hull finished.

Steve

Before

After

I even got the conduits opened up again to the NAV lights so I can replace the old grains of wheat that were in there with LEDs.
Old 06-11-09, 02:52 PM   #29
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

Awesome model! Can't wait to see the finished product
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 12:11 AM   #30
U812
Sparky

Thanks Fish.

Worked all weekend. Got all the limber holes and drains drilled and filed out. What a pain.

Also got the business end done. Stern planes and rudders are in. M?ore during the week folks.

BTW the small VIIC is my Revell 1/72 RC converted boat. My very first. This will give you an idea just how big this model is.

Steve

Tags
model