SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-10-08, 01:16 PM   #16
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
I will not be much help with the electrical things. I do not get into this area much. We have a few Electrican Mates aboard who do these things. I stay out of their way. I'm always afraid to touch these things and watch them fry. I can always inquire for you about it if you like. Give me a list of specific questions about the piece you are working on and it will inquire.
I got the green light to solder or wire nut the wires this Saturday - it probably runs on 110 volts and may be 16 gauge wire if the wires that they cut were actually in a junction box, as opposed to the actual 1MC box. I'll take my digital camera and take a few photos so that it will be easier to explain.
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 01:46 PM   #17
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

No problem!!! When you have pics PM me and I will forward my email address to you. Send them there and I will print and bring aboard for the guys on the Torsk to look over. I will do my best to get you the answers you need on your questions. The only thing I can think to tell you, be careful of the voltage these submarines run on. I was talking with Gil about the TDC on the Torsk and asked if it functions. He started talking about 60 cycles and 400 cycles, some reostat, yadda yadda yadda...my head hurt.
If I'm not mistaken a lot of the things function on DC (direct current). I was told that some things on the Torsk were converted to AC/DC such as fans to circulate the air, etc. Check and re-check before you power up. FIRE is a four letter word!!!!
Old 01-10-08, 03:26 PM   #18
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

If we have the electrical schematics for the system, it should show us the voltage for that particular box.

I wouldn't be surprised if something unique like the TDC ran on some funky voltage/current setup.
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 01-10-08, 03:41 PM   #19
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Default Generators

I found this in the electrical chapter of the 1946 Fleet Boat manual:

Quote:
The Main generators are rated at approximately 2650 amperes at 415 volts and 1100 kilowatts.
Quote:
Description of the auxiliary generator. The 300-kw direct current auxiliary generator Is a two-wire, compensated, differential compound machine. The generator is self-excited, but the switching is arranged so that separate excitation may be obtained from the battery. The machines can produce 300 kw at 1200 rpm at any voltage from 260 volts to 345 volts, and 150 kw at 600 rpm at 260 volts.
Quote:
6C2. Searchlight. The 12-inch incandescent signal searchlight requires a 120-volt d.c. supply. It is not considered a part of the lighting system because the supply is taken from a fused, double pole, single throw switch on the I.C. switchboard and led to a pressure-proof receptacle and snap switch on the bridge.
Other devices like heaters, coffee pots, the stove, etc. run on 240 or 250 Volts. I'll have to look in the communications and alarms chapter to see if it mentions the voltage for that system.
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 01-10-08, 03:42 PM   #20
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

After all the technical jargon I was lost on the TDC issue. All I wanted to know is if it worked. I basically surmised it needs a few parts to connect the scope and TBT to it. It has not been powered up for some time. The con is a serious work in progress and something that is done during winter. Summer time you just bake like a potato in there. Visitors are not allowed in the con. It is just to hazardous really. I bump my head or crack an elbow everytime I go up to use the scope to spot some of the chicks walking in the inner harbor:p Magnification is such a wonderful thing
Old 01-10-08, 03:45 PM   #21
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sarsfield
I found this in the electrical chapter of the 1946 Fleet Boat manual:

Quote:
The Main generators are rated at approximately 2650 amperes at 415 volts and 1100 kilowatts.
Quote:
Description of the auxiliary generator. The 300-kw direct current auxiliary generator Is a two-wire, compensated, differential compound machine. The generator is self-excited, but the switching is arranged so that separate excitation may be obtained from the battery. The machines can produce 300 kw at 1200 rpm at any voltage from 260 volts to 345 volts, and 150 kw at 600 rpm at 260 volts.
Quote:
6C2. Searchlight. The 12-inch incandescent signal searchlight requires a 120-volt d.c. supply. It is not considered a part of the lighting system because the supply is taken from a fused, double pole, single throw switch on the I.C. switchboard and led to a pressure-proof receptacle and snap switch on the bridge.
Other devices like heaters, coffee pots, the stove, etc. run on 240 or 250 Volts. I'll have to look in the communications and alarms chapter to see if it mentions the voltage for that system.
Good find Like I said, the voltages are very different than working on the type of radio we use today. I see the DC current for the searchlight. Something I mention! So just be careful and think before you power it up BTW, if you can get the searchlight in close to function order, switch it to AC/DC for standard electrical service. I'm betting a new socket and bulb could be retrofitted. Same thing we did with the fans and the radar motor to make it run.
Old 01-10-08, 03:51 PM   #22
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Default I.C. Circuits

Quote:
The I.C. systems of a modern fleet type submarine usually consist of about 24 circuits. With few exceptions, they are supplied with power through the I.C. switchboard located in the control room.
... as I suspected...

Quote:
Collision alarm system (circuit CA)
General alarm system (circuit G)
Diving alarm system (circuit GD)
General announcing system (circuit 1MC)
Submarine control announcing system (circuit 7MC)
Quote:
8A2. Systems requiring alternating current....
General announcing systems (alarm signals and voice communication)
Quote:
b. Source of power. The alternating current power supply to this switchboard is obtained from the I.C. motor generators which are comprised of either 250-volt d.c. motors and 120-volt a.c. generators, or 120-volt d.c. motors and 120-volt a.c. generators, depending upon the type of installation.

Looks like I answered my own questions. I guess it's a matter of getting AC power to the circuit board in the control room, then.
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 01-10-08, 04:29 PM   #23
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Yes, it looks that way. Just love puzzles So based on this we run 120 volts AC and it says 120 volts depending on the installation. Just check to make sure she be a 120 volt AC installation. If that checks out, then standard current we use now should work to power it up. Personally, I would disconnect everything to main panel before the power up. Mark all the connection etc. If the panel powers up without issue, connect the peripherals it feeds one by one. Keep a fire extinquisher handy!

Things like this make you want to quite your day job and just go work on the sub!
Old 01-10-08, 04:32 PM   #24
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
BTW, if you can get the searchlight in close to function order, switch it to AC/DC for standard electrical service. I'm betting a new socket and bulb could be retrofitted. Same thing we did with the fans and the radar motor to make it run.
I think that they did convert it to A.C. It has its own cable and plug on the bridge. Sometimes they plug it into an extension cord, but the seal is bad on the light housing and water gets in there. The shutters for sending morse code look like they need a little oil, too.

Up in the conning tower is the switch box for turning on nav lights, search light, etc., but they rewired some of the switches to turn the lights on and off in the conning tower. I think the navigation lights still are connected and working.
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 01-10-08, 04:36 PM   #25
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Yes, it looks that way. Just love puzzles So based on this we run 120 volts AC and it says 120 volts depending on the installation. Just check to make sure she be a 120 volt AC installation. If that checks out, then standard current we use now should work to power it up. Personally, I would disconnect everything to main panel before the power up. Mark all the connection etc. If the panel powers up without issue, connect the peripherals it feeds one by one. Keep a fire extinquisher handy!
I just fund out that Rick and two other regulars are electronic gurus. I told them where the find the two A.C. Generator Buses that feed the switch panel in the manual. They should be able to figure it out. The switch board also powers the engine telegraphs and the rudder indicator among other items. It would be nice to get them lit up, again.
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 01-10-08, 04:46 PM   #26
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

The seal should be an easy fix on the light. Go the the auto parts store and get sheet of gasket material. Very cheap and cut to fit! The things you mention seem small but once running with lights, she looks alive and this attracts visitors. Especially kids who just happen to bring along their parents!

We have an air conditioning unit under the superstructure that cools the Torsk during the summer....yeah I know, living large......anyway, you can hear it through out the boat. She sounds like she is running and ready to go when the AC is turned on. People really think she is can go at any moment. Radar spinning, AC making engine like noises. We have a few different colored lights lit up on panels in each room. Seems like small stuff to us but vistors eat it up.

The funniest thing a visitor every said to me was, "Where are the nuclear reactors?" He was serious. Phooey, I showed him the diesel/electric set up. Then I asked him to leave the boat....he scared me. So, the panel in manuevering is very active and powered up. The switches do function. So, if you get something working such as a main power panel, you will need to fashion a plexi glass enclosure. People can see the panel but can not start switching buttons.....and they all love doing that. Our enclosure is hinged so we can open it to tune things off and on.
Old 01-10-08, 04:47 PM   #27
Donner
Officer

Downloads: 113

Quote:
Quote:
The I.C. systems of a modern fleet type submarine usually consist of about 24 circuits. With few exceptions, they are supplied with power through the I.C. switchboard located in the control room.
... as I suspected...

Quote:
Collision alarm system (circuit CA)
General alarm system (circuit G)
Diving alarm system (circuit GD)
General announcing system (circuit 1MC)
Submarine control announcing system (circuit 7MC)
Quote:
8A2. Systems requiring alternating current....
General announcing systems (alarm signals and voice communication)
Quote:
b. Source of power. The alternating current power supply to this switchboard is obtained from the I.C. motor generators which are comprised of either 250-volt d.c. motors and 120-volt a.c. generators, or 120-volt d.c. motors and 120-volt a.c. generators, depending upon the type of installation.

Looks like I answered my own questions. I guess it's a matter of getting AC power to the circuit board in the control room, then.
Looks like that manual wasn't "too general" after all. You know more now than you did yesterday.
Old 01-10-08, 04:49 PM   #28
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Quote:
I just fund out that Rick and two other regulars are electronic gurus. I told them where the find the two A.C. Generator Buses that feed the switch panel in the manual. They should be able to figure it out. The switch board also powers the engine telegraphs and the rudder indicator among other items. It would be nice to get them lit up, again.
Yep, talk it up gents. That is what we do and we find out a whole lot about everything! If you do get them going, start thinking about the plexi glass enclosure. You do not want the visitors screwing up what you just fixed. Plus it is for safety. The inspectors will want to look at it. In fact, they have a check list. Did you guys get a copy of the last inspection?
Old 01-10-08, 05:03 PM   #29
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Looks like that manual wasn't "too general" after all. You know more now than you did yesterday.
Once I found the right chapters, it made sense. The chapter that actualy talks about the communication system doesn't say much about the power connections and I assumed that was all the book had to say about it.

Quote:
If you do get them going, start thinking about the plexi glass enclosure. You do not want the visitors screwing up what you just fixed. Plus it is for safety. The inspectors will want to look at it. In fact, they have a check list. Did you guys get a copy of the last inspection?
I know that the part of the switch board with the double-pull throw switches are covered, but we will need to do the same for the other switch panels. Last thing we need is for visitors to energize the radar, if we haven't got it working, yet.

Speaking of radar, our set looks like it may be '50's vintage - it still has to be tuned like an old tube radio, but it looks newer and smaller. Once we get the switch board energized, I'll tickle their ear about getting the radar/motor set working... if it needs any work. It would be cool to track cars going up and down the highway.

As for the inspection list, Rick probably does have the latest and greatest. I'll ask him on Saturday when we have our work detail meeting.
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 01-10-08, 07:04 PM   #30
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

What we do with the list, the weekend before they come to inspect we go over the list a do what needs to get done. Keeps them happy. Let me know what you find out with your electrical!