SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-02-19, 07:36 PM   #1
jahwillprovide
Seaman

Downloads: 55
Uploads: 0
Default Looking for Cold War Boats

As the title says, I'm looking for Cold War boats. Preferable that they are compatible with career mode. I've tried JHapprich's mods and a few of them work but I can't seem to get everything to translate into English and this provides a bit of a barrier for entry to me. So far the only boat I've found that I thoroughly enjoy is the Typhoon but Im sure there has to be more out there that are lesser known.

For reference : https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...highlight=cwss

o7 Cheers and thanks in advance.

Last edited by jahwillprovide; 09-02-19 at 11:27 PM.
jahwillprovide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 09:15 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

About all I can suggest is to browse through the SubSim SH4 Ships Downloads section, browse through the pages and see how many subs you find. I don't think you're going to find too many with much campaign though. That is a LOT of work to accomplish, and it is not easy coming up with ideas for a mission, especially in light of it being the "Silent Service" and there is not much info on missions from then, much less something that holds a player's interest and doesn't bore them to tears while they try to fingerprint the sound signature of whatever it is they're following... [three hours later] "huh, 'magine that - it's a baleen whale."

As for translations, the internet is a good tool (ie: Translate.Google.com) in that regard. All of the Data / Campaigns / Campaign(GE) / PatrolObjectives / *.tsr files, and the Data / Menu / menu.txt would be the ones to hit. It will take a while.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 09:48 PM   #3
jahwillprovide
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
About all I can suggest is to browse through the SubSim SH4 Ships Downloads section, browse through the pages and see how many subs you find. I don't think you're going to find too many with much campaign though. That is a LOT of work to accomplish, and it is not easy coming up with ideas for a mission, especially in light of it being the "Silent Service" and there is not much info on missions from then, much less something that holds a player's interest and doesn't bore them to tears while they try to fingerprint the sound signature of whatever it is they're following... [three hours later] "huh, 'magine that - it's a baleen whale."

As for translations, the internet is a good tool (ie: Translate.Google.com) in that regard. All of the Data / Campaigns / Campaign(GE) / PatrolObjectives / *.tsr files, and the Data / Menu / menu.txt would be the ones to hit. It will take a while.

Even all of the enemy ship names have to converted back to english, but it will be worth it as it looks like nobody other than the one and only Jhapprich has made any cold war subs. If he does see then I just want you to know that I thank you for the mods you created and they are massively fun. It's a good thing I've been practicing my German for a year now, otherwise I would be lost when I load up one of these mods. Ty prop for pointing me at the right files, the only one I knew how to find was menu.txt

cheers mate
Old 09-03-19, 11:07 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I've done quite a bit of copy paste translate copy paste-back-in myself - it gets old fast... those TSR files are associated with the mis files of the same name. The only parts of them that you want to translate is the stuff after "MissionBriefing=" or any text after an Objective name or radio message, which are the parts that are difficult to find. You do not want to change any text to the left of the equal signs, since those "link" to same-named items in the mis file... stuff after the equal signs are generally (not always) displayed in-game somewhere...

I'm sure you figured out my shorthand above, but the "Campaign(GE)" is if you are in the US campaign files for a US sub, it is the plain "Campaign" folder, for a German boat, it is the "CampaignGE" folder. In either case, the files are in named folders below the PatrolObjectives folder in the respective Campaigns folders. Depending upon the mod, they might not all be in use. Look in the Flotillas.upc file (Data / UPCData(GE) / UPCCampaignData) and you'll see lines like:
Quote:
[Flotilla 1.UserPlayerUnitType 1.Objective 7]
ID= PH1Obj7
NameDisplayable= Caroline Islands
AvailabilityInterval=1942-01-01, NULL
ObjectiveCode= Caroline Islands
The ObjectiveCode links to an "AllMatch" line in the PatrolObjectives.cfg file in the same folder as the Flotillas.upc file. Using those two files, you can track down all of the PatrolObjectives folders and files that a given mod uses (there are likely several sets of files associated with a given ObjectiveCode / AllMatch link), and limit your translating to those. So if you know you are only going to drive a certain boat, just copy the files associated with it.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-03-19 at 11:16 PM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-19, 12:15 AM   #5
jahwillprovide
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I've done quite a bit of copy paste translate copy paste-back-in myself - it gets old fast... those TSR files are associated with the mis files of the same name. The only parts of them that you want to translate is the stuff after "MissionBriefing=" or any text after an Objective name or radio message, which are the parts that are difficult to find. You do not want to change any text to the left of the equal signs, since those "link" to same-named items in the mis file... stuff after the equal signs are generally (not always) displayed in-game somewhere...

I'm sure you figured out my shorthand above, but the "Campaign(GE)" is if you are in the US campaign files for a US sub, it is the plain "Campaign" folder, for a German boat, it is the "CampaignGE" folder. In either case, the files are in named folders below the PatrolObjectives folder in the respective Campaigns folders. Depending upon the mod, they might not all be in use. Look in the Flotillas.upc file (Data / UPCData(GE) / UPCCampaignData) and you'll see lines like:

The ObjectiveCode links to an "AllMatch" line in the PatrolObjectives.cfg file in the same folder as the Flotillas.upc file. Using those two files, you can track down all of the PatrolObjectives folders and files that a given mod uses (there are likely several sets of files associated with a given ObjectiveCode / AllMatch link), and limit your translating to those. So if you know you are only going to drive a certain boat, just copy the files associated with it.

This looks like quite a bit of work, but I'll get around to it once I add those sweet mk48s onto all the early war subs. Imagine driving around an S Class and firing homing torps at passerby while you rest on the bottom haha

Luckily Jhapps Seawolf mod is in full english so I can play with that for the time being Ty for the pointers