SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-11-20, 04:37 PM   #1
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3
Default What mod has the best models

Anyone got a link to good sub models in a single mod?
Old 05-12-20, 01:58 PM   #2
Theta Sigma
Seabed Comber

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0

The Russian Reinforce Alert mod probably has the most recent additions of platforms. Version 1.49 is the latest release from late last year.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBN...?usp=drive_web

The dev thread for the mod is here:
http://www.redrodgers.com/forums/sho...61&postcount=1

One note...

Most mods for DW (LWAMI, Alfa Tau, etc) are designed to be user-friendly, in that the devs add a freeware app called Jones Soft Generic Mod Enabler which allows game mods to be used, disabled, re-enabled, and sometimes to be layered. The devs of RA don't like sharing the spotlight, so they don't include it in order to prevent other mods from being used. The thing is, it actually does work with JSGME, but you are forced to manually do an install that supports it (This is just if you want to go back and forth to stock DW, or use other mods, of course).

If you do, firstly, you have to copy your fully patched DW install directory to another folder and then run the RA batch file in that new copied directory until done. Afterward, install JSGME for the original install. Now, copy all the files and folders that were modified in the copied directory into a new folder within the newly created MODS folder that JSGME created in the original install folder. Name the new folder "Reinforce Alert". Then you can run JSGME and choose to enable Reinforce Alert and disable it at will.

Installing this way restores the option of enabling/disabling the mod, and even use other mods instead sometimes.

Enjoy.
Old 05-19-20, 02:11 PM   #3
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta Sigma View Post
The Russian Reinforce Alert mod probably has the most recent additions of platforms. Version 1.49 is the latest release from late last year.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBN...?usp=drive_web

The dev thread for the mod is here:
http://www.redrodgers.com/forums/sho...61&postcount=1

One note...

Most mods for DW (LWAMI, Alfa Tau, etc) are designed to be user-friendly, in that the devs add a freeware app called Jones Soft Generic Mod Enabler which allows game mods to be used, disabled, re-enabled, and sometimes to be layered. The devs of RA don't like sharing the spotlight, so they don't include it in order to prevent other mods from being used. The thing is, it actually does work with JSGME, but you are forced to manually do an install that supports it (This is just if you want to go back and forth to stock DW, or use other mods, of course).

If you do, firstly, you have to copy your fully patched DW install directory to another folder and then run the RA batch file in that new copied directory until done. Afterward, install JSGME for the original install. Now, copy all the files and folders that were modified in the copied directory into a new folder within the newly created MODS folder that JSGME created in the original install folder. Name the new folder "Reinforce Alert". Then you can run JSGME and choose to enable Reinforce Alert and disable it at will.

Installing this way restores the option of enabling/disabling the mod, and even use other mods instead sometimes.

Enjoy.

I tried this in the past but ran into the issue of turning RA off with JSGME gets rid of all missions and saves and profiles, it gets messy. Have you gotten around these issues? I started just keeping separate installs of DW with various mods and changing out folder names to play different mods.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-20, 03:23 PM   #4
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

RA changes more than just the 3DO models, it also directly effects how the game is played.

If you can adapt to a style that's more suited to playing World Of Warships (multiplayer melees and slug fests), you'll enjoy RA. RA also has a much more expanded list of playable platforms.

For traditional DW game play, stick with a stock install or try LWAMI.

Unfortunately, its VERY difficult to get the best of both worlds. I would avoid using JSGME to "harvest" parts of RA unless you have a very good understanding of how DW's database works and how RA changes it.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-20, 06:11 PM   #5
Theta Sigma
Seabed Comber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
I would avoid using JSGME to "harvest" parts of RA unless you have a very good understanding of how DW's database works and how RA changes it.

You misunderstood my post. As I prefaced, you have to copy over every altered file and directory. Yes, that means the MODS/Reinforce Alert folder will be more sizable than LWAMI, Alfa Tau, etc, but it actually does work. It works, because the additional core files which RA alters, even exe's, are backed up when you enable RA, and restored when you disable it.

Yes, it requires understanding JSGME and what it can do, but when you actually use it to its full potential, you save yourself the headache of multiple install directories if you want to maintain different mods alongside stock RA.
Old 05-21-20, 12:03 AM   #6
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
For traditional DW game play, stick with a stock install or try LWAMI.
What you mean by "traditional DW gameplay"?
LwAmi is NOT similar to vanilla - it only uses the same playable platforms but adds many AI platforms. Also new doctrines, major changes to broadband sonar, some weapon systems etc.
Ovarall Lwami is more closer and similar to RA than to vanilla.
Old 05-21-20, 03:45 PM   #7
Theta Sigma
Seabed Comber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
I tried this in the past but ran into the issue of turning RA off with JSGME gets rid of all missions and saves and profiles, it gets messy. Have you gotten around these issues? I started just keeping separate installs of DW with various mods and changing out folder names to play different mods.

You can choose to leave in or out scenarios, and create a separate MODS folder to layover after enabling RA. That has worked for me. I do this for fan missions too.
Old 05-21-20, 04:11 PM   #8
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
You can choose to leave in or out scenarios, and create a separate MODS folder to layover after enabling RA. That has worked for me. I do this for fan missions too.

Missions don't generally work between mods, though. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of using JSGME, but it seems like more of a pain with something like RA than just using a separate install given that you're basically doing that anyway with JSGME and RA. Also, enabling RA through JSGME takes a not insignificant amount of time to move the files around whereas renaming Dangerous Waters folders is instantaneous.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this isn't like other games where mods can be turned on or off at whim, Lwami and RA both change the game files such that they're not compatible with each other or stock. I think it's just more of a headache to do it with JSGME than separate install folders. If people aren't aware of these things you have to keep track of with JSGME (like past me), it can be quite easy to wipe out your entire scenario folder by turning RA on and off, etc.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-20, 05:37 PM   #9
Theta Sigma
Seabed Comber

Quote:
Missions don't generally work between mods, though.
Some do, some don't. Keeping track of each is key when sorting the folders under MODS.

Quote:
Also, enabling RA through JSGME takes a not insignificant amount of time to move the files around whereas renaming Dangerous Waters folders is instantaneous.
Making an error is not worth it to me, and I know JSGME keeps track, so that's why I choose to use it. As for the speed, I absolutely grant you that RA takes longer than enabling/disabling LWAMI or Alfa Tau via JSGME, but the peace of mind is worth the wait.

Quote:
I guess what I'm trying to say is that this isn't like other games where mods can be turned on or off at whim, Lwami and RA both change the game files such that they're not compatible with each other or stock.
I have to correct you on that. LWAMI is not only designed with JSGME in mind, it's included with it! The same is true of Alfa Tau. It was why I mentioned it up front that some devs make it easy for us to switch mods. I applaud Molon Labe and the LWAMI folks as well as the Betasom devs who developed their mods with our ease in mind.

Quote:
I think it's just more of a headache to do it with JSGME than separate install folders. If people aren't aware of these things you have to keep track of with JSGME (like past me), it can be quite easy to wipe out your entire scenario folder by turning RA on and off, etc.
Again, JSGME saves me a headache vs. the migraine of separate folders to manage. We'll have to agree to disagree there. To each his own, of course.
Old 05-22-20, 03:54 PM   #10
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Again, JSGME saves me a headache vs. the migraine of separate folders to manage. We'll have to agree to disagree there. To each his own, of course.
Changing name of DW folder is much much quicker than enabling it in JSGME.
Current RA 1.49 is more than 3 GB on disc. You wanna copy it every time via JSGME because changing name of folder is too complicated to you? (Cut&paste doesn't physicaly make copy on disk - data are still on the same clusters on disk but only name is different)
Old 05-23-20, 12:23 PM   #11
Theta Sigma
Seabed Comber

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
Changing name of DW folder is much much quicker than enabling it in JSGME.
Current RA 1.49 is more than 3 GB on disc. You wanna copy it every time via JSGME because changing name of folder is too complicated to you? (Cut&paste doesn't physicaly make copy on disk - data are still on the same clusters on disk but only name is different)

Not complicated to do, just a pain to do regularly, and prone to error. I guarantee that has happened to you, or will. I've already said making that mistake is NOT worth it to me, and JSGME prevents that. It's also under 3GB on my end. Again, we'll have to disagree on this.