SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-15-13, 08:15 PM   #1
HMCS
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 186
Uploads: 0
Default German TDC Tutorial?

Hey, Skippers.

I've played SH4 for years but never tried OM, so I'd thought I'd give it a go.

Problem is/was I never mastered the German TDC.

Are there any good tutorial missions, say with targets sailing past at various speeds so I can get the hang of firing manually?

Or perhaps you can recommend a good OM torp. tutorial.

One last request: What other mods work well with OM? I'd like to see what mods fans of OM commonly use.

Muy gracias!

Mods Loaded:TMO 2.2, RSRDC, MaxOptics, Strategic Map Symbols, Stop The Shouting
OR:
RFB, RSRDC, Maxoptics, SCAF, Strategic Map Symbols and the sanity-saving "stop the shouting".
HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-13, 05:08 AM   #2
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0

I'm no expert, but I'm starting to fall in love with OM and its associated bits and bobs - I was just logging in to add my thanks to SS for the Das Boot sound mod - it takes about half an hour to load in JSGME, but it is so worth it...

Other mods I use are the Kriegsmarine chart colours, TDW's water disturbance and Fire damage mods, Strategic map symbols - OMEGU pretty much goes without saying

Since I loaded OM and OMEGU pretty much together, and the latter has an enhanced torpedo targeting setup, this might not reflect your experience. Also i'm still learnig it myself and I'm as far from an expert as it's possible to be - still all input is good, right? - You might get a good idea from facepalming one of mine ....

As far as the solution solver goes, I find it pretty easy to use. The periscope scratch pad, you can pretty much ignore, but the manual input dials on the attack map are really useful. RR's Fast 90 tutorial is pretty comprehensive, and he's better at the instructing than I am, but in a nutshell, if you have the targets speed and course, you can position yourself at 90 deg to his track, set the torpedo controls to manual input [the button just above the speed dial] and then set your AoB to 90, your target bearing [L/H dial] to 0, range to something arbitrary, but non-trivial; and your speed to whatever you've estimated. then point your scope dead ahead and turn manual input off...

Your scope is now slaved to the TDC/Solution solver, and you'll notice that as you turn it, your AoB and target bearing dials turn with it, so you can lock the scope to the target and fire when you like - within reason - the solution is at its most forgiving at 90 degrees - that's just geometry. ...

your estimates don't have to be accurate, but the range you shoot at is inversely proportional to your level of confidence in them, so with no other factors involved [e.g. The Royal Navy] the issue becomes one of approach rather than maths. Methods I use to calculate speed are:

1) SWAG - How fast does it look like it's going? What's the speed estimate from the sonar guy? does he look like he's at the high or low end of the scale?

2) Estimate length. I use Small = 150 ft Medium = 400 ft Large = 650 feet - On the final approach I'll hit reverse, slow to a virtual stop and time the target through the crosshairs. on the approach, when he's at or about 90deg AoB I'll do the same. The stationary figure gives me a straight speed estimate, the moving figure gives me a modifier to mine. i.e. if I estimate him at 400' long and it takes me 30 secs to pass him at 90 deg AoB, then I'm moving 5 knots faster than he is - or something, I didn't do the maths on that, but you get my drift.

[as an aside, if you have a speed estimate you like, then by plotting bearings and fitting the distance travelled into them, you have a quick and dirty range estimate too]

3) Match his course and speed on the approach.

4) Do some bearings only TMA, either with visual, or sonar bearings. Labour intensive, but very accurate.

=====================

Finally, the torpedo controls give you a lot of flexibility. I particularly like the salvo setting, but my advice would be to open all the tubes you're going to use before switching to it. I'm pretty sure that the Q key still only opens one tube at a time and you can't cycle between tubes that are part of a salvo. Hitman's Spread angle calculator would be really handy for the German side, since you have a spread setting, especially for salvoes.

Anyway, I've only been playing OM for a couple of days and I'm a long way from being expert at any of it. The torpedo training in the submarine school isn't a bad place to mess around. Try playing with the FaT settings on the stationary target to miss on the first pass but hit on a subsequent one.....

This was TL;DR about three paragraphs ago. Time to stop - If you were wondering about SWAG, it stands for Scientific Wild Arsed Guess

I look forward to having the flaws in my methodology pointed out by people who know what they're doing - I hope to be one of them eventually
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for TMO
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
Improved Stock environment v3_TMO&RFB
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_performance
TMO17_19_different_smoke

Last edited by in_vino_vomitus; 07-16-13 at 05:35 AM.
in_vino_vomitus is offline   Reply With Quote