SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DARPA Game – “ACTUV Tactics”
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-11, 10:37 PM   #1
Rip
Commodore

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0
Default Just played first mission

OK, so I can say I have played a mission now and I enjoyed it. First thing I like was being able to select 1920X1200 resolution. Wish I could do the same in DW. Anyway first let me say everyone moaning and complaining should at least play it first. It is pretty fun and the missions are pretty short.

I took the triton first and within minutes had forgotten what my capabilities were. Working on a little hand written cheat-sheet as I type this.

Gained contact right off and just slid into his starboard quarter slightly overtaking. Pinging MF every couple minutes. Got the order to break contact. Didn't really open on him but slowed and suspended pinging. Got the lost contact but looking at the tactical got cold feet and rushed in to regain him before being told to do so.

Ended up having to run east at 15kts for a while breaking contact later when traffic had cleared area of pursuit. Finally got the command to regain did so and while sprinting in to try and obtain HF contact got word of the turnover and ended mission.

I thin it was a little over 7600 points, pretty lame but I wasn't really playing very seriously. I have a few gripes but some are probably just me not knowing what to press yet. Like speed hot keys for one? Are there just two stations? The control station screen just really doesn't feel comfortable/informative/powerful in a way I really like.

Anyway got to get to work on my cheat sheet for the UVs.
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 11:00 PM   #2
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Cheat sheet is a good idea! Since I've been meta-gaming this so hard.... I think I'll post one up for everybody.....

EDIT: Done! http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=182315

Last edited by Gargamel; 04-07-11 at 11:14 PM.
Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 11:17 PM   #3
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

I always run on continuous ping. The thermoclines don't seem to be reflecting the signal as they should, so I don't see any reason not to do it. After all, at 10+ knots while that shallow, you're going to be cavitating like crazy, to say nothing of the large mast and sail you're dragging through the water, so the sub is going to know that you're there anyway.

Clearly, DARPA does not specialize in subtlety.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 11:50 PM   #4
ASWnut101
Admiral

Downloads: 9

I must be the only one having trouble with the first mission. I get the order to break, so I do as they say and haul a** away for five minutes. I never get the order to regain contact though. Or are we even supposed to get an order to do so?

Interesting game anyway, I know I'm going to be spending countless hours on it now.

ASWnut101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 12:03 AM   #5
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASWnut101 View Post
I must be the only one having trouble with the first mission. I get the order to break, so I do as they say and haul a** away for five minutes. I never get the order to regain contact though. Or are we even supposed to get an order to do so?

Interesting game anyway, I know I'm going to be spending countless hours on it now.
It ends up being 10 minutes, because you are considered to be "in contact" for 5 minutes after your most recent fix.
Old 04-08-11, 07:49 AM   #6
Frying Tiger
Sonalysts Man

Downloads: 0

You can access the capability charts on the "info" tab for the ACTUV in-game with "esc". Select "Data Reference" from the list, and you get the same graphics you get off the main menu.

"the atom-powered submarine: Her engines were to be a miracle of speed and power, her sides strong enough to withstand any blow... The mind of man had thought of everything - except that which was beyond his comprehension!"
Frying Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 10:34 PM   #7
mido
Engineer

Downloads: 191
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
...First thing I like was being able to select 1920X1200 resolution...
How did you do this? I went to options - 3D and found only 800x600 or 1024x768 as possible settings.
mido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 09:39 PM   #8
Rip
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mido View Post
How did you do this? I went to options - 3D and found only 800x600 or 1024x768 as possible settings.

It didn't show up for me at first either. I had to change something else first but I can't remember if it was full screen or something else. I also had to disable AA/AF so that the menus displayed properly. Keep trying I can guarantee it is possible.

Rip
Old 05-14-11, 08:13 AM   #9
mido
Engineer

Downloads: 191
Uploads: 1

Thanks for helping me on that. What is AA/AF?
mido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 11:02 AM   #10
Rip
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mido View Post
Thanks for helping me on that. What is AA/AF?
Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering.