SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-08-11, 07:21 PM   #1
etheberge
Watch Officer

Downloads: 614
Uploads: 10
Default Future of Operation Monsun

Now that it seems likely that Lurker_hlb3 has quit modding for good (see among others http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=3003 and http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=2807) perhaps we should have a thread to discuss how we can improve and build on the amazing work that he did with OM/OMEGU.

What would you like added to OM? What if anything are people working on? Are there issues with the last OM/OMEGU version that we can try to fix ourselves?

For my part I'm working on adding lots of timed radio events in messages.txt, based on the BdU War Diaries and Standing Orders. It's a long process and it's slow going because I don't have much time but it's getting there. I'm also thinking of revisiting my rec manual mod, specifically changing the red night filter cause the current one is bugging me.

It'd be nice if we could also improve the Nav map, especially adding air bases like --->http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166264.

Flags on U-boats would also be awesome, I believe Ducimus has made progress on that front on the fleet boat side so he might be willing to port that over to ATO.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Is it even worth it to continue working on SH4 ATO now that we have SH5?

11 War Patrols / 56 ships sunk or damaged for 212,022 tons
Zero casualties throughout the war
Scuttled on 8 May, 1945 in Sonderburg Bay, after German surrender
etheberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 12:52 AM   #2
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 345
Uploads: 0

well i could tell you one thing. in the periscope views at night the lights arent red or dimmed and it can be very distracting while trying to figure out shots at night and it throws the feel of the game off. i'll keep an eye out for improvments. i'm not a heavy modder but i do look for stuff and if it bothers me that bad i usually try to do something about it or get advice. shame he stopped modding it though.
i love it.
drakkhen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 02:21 AM   #3
Nbjackso
Navy Dude

Downloads: 448
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by etheberge View Post
. . . It'd be nice if we could also improve the Nav map, especially adding air bases like --->http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166264. . . Is it even worth it to continue working on SH4 ATO now that we have SH5?
I have put some thought into making a OM/ATO version of NMMO. I've done some experiments to see if it is doable, and I think I could probably come up with something. I'm also wondering if there are enough people out there still playing SH4 w/OM/OMEGU to make it worthwhile. I will monitor this thread to see if any interest is generated.

Just get me within 1000 yards,
and I'll d
o the rest
Nbjackso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 03:56 AM   #4
etheberge
Watch Officer

Downloads: 614
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkhen20 View Post
well i could tell you one thing. in the periscope views at night the lights arent red or dimmed and it can be very distracting while trying to figure out shots at night and it throws the feel of the game off.
Drakkhen20 - I imported the toolbar from I think TMO on my personnal install and it helps a bit. I might release it if I can remember what I did and if it's ok with Ducimus or whoever made it originally. Like I said I also want to tweak my rec manual mod, I think the red background on it is still too light. Were you talking about some other lights specifically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbjackso View Post
I have put some thought into making a OM/ATO version of NMMO. I've done some experiments to see if it is doable, and I think I could probably come up with something. I'm also wondering if there are enough people out there still playing SH4 w/OM/OMEGU to make it worthwhile. I will monitor this thread to see if any interest is generated.
That would be great Nbjackso. I'm using your navmap mod with RFB on the pacific side and I love it. Let's see what happens.

11 War Patrols / 56 ships sunk or damaged for 212,022 tons
Zero casualties throughout the war
Scuttled on 8 May, 1945 in Sonderburg Bay, after German surrender
etheberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 09:56 AM   #5
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 345

around the scope. the background, the periscope itself doesnt reflect red its just a regular white light.
drakkhen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 11:33 AM   #6
MaddogK
XO

Downloads: 15

I've added a few specific encounters to the campaign from U-47's career and have a few custom charts and am adding the engine room to the VII, but I don't feel OM screams for much improvement. It's pretty freekin awesome as-is tho a bit more comms from fellow u-boats would be cool.

MaddogK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 11:52 AM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'd like to see the immersive details, like the harbors and bridges from LSH3 and all the different ships, especially IABL's merchant fleet. I would also like to see something akin to SH3 Commander.

Just my personal wish-list.
Old 03-09-11, 12:10 PM   #8
Dani
Helmsman

Downloads: 349

It would be great if h.sie could spare some time on sh4.exe. He's done wonders to SH3.
Maybe he could fix the underwater ranges, battery recharge time and the O2 consumption.

This is my wish-list.
Dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 07:56 PM   #9
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I would also like to see something akin to SH3 Commander.
I've been experimenting with some 'hacks' to SH3 Commander to see if it can be 'persuaded' to work with SH4 and SH5.
It's not a top priority with me but I'm messing with it which should get me in enuff trouble.
Old 03-09-11, 11:28 PM   #10
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I'd like to see the immersive details, like the harbors and bridges from LSH3 and all the different ships, especially IABL's merchant fleet. I would also like to see something akin to SH3 Commander.

Just my personal wish-list.
I would like to see some improvements to the unit roster. The way it stands now it's impressive, but causes Museum to crash. There are also quite a few of my old merchant ships that just don't look very good.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 12:48 AM   #11
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

My personal beef with SH4 (not just OM) is weather. SH4 being initially designed for the Pacific, weather stays rather good everywhere, Atlantic included. The most frequent weather here is clear sky and 15m waves, with very few rainy days. And to sail the whole December in Northern Atlantic without seeing a cloud or a drop of rain is an immersion killer IMO.
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 05:01 AM   #12
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
I would like to see some improvements to the unit roster. The way it stands now it's impressive, but causes Museum to crash...
No, the CTD is caused by SH4 running out of memory.

For a solution apply the LAA-patch to your SH4.exe (see post #14 and #15): http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177503
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 08:59 PM   #13
Nbjackso
Navy Dude

Downloads: 448
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
Here's some samples of the colorscheme used on KriegsMarine maps:

In this folder I've uploaded two packs of KM-Maps (jpg_I and jpg_II): http://www.mediafire.com/?ieb1bzob4xg1f

Close to 400MB, but if you only wants a few maps, let me know and I'll upload them...
Thanks Jan. I'll check them out and see what I can come up with.

Just get me within 1000 yards,
and I'll d
o the rest
Nbjackso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 09:10 PM   #14
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

My suggestions would be to add a in and out of the Kiel canal order that would be most useful.

Then I would find a way to fix the map screen where you get your orders. It's just a pet peev but when I'm getting orders to sail the Atlantic I want to the the atlantic not the Indian.

Of course any way to get real sinking mechanics would be very nice. To me there seems a lot left undone to complete the mod regardless of how lurker felt. Plus I would rather lose a testical than buy SH V.

To make things easier I would suggest getting with the old GWX boys. Would seem pretty stiff of them not to allow us to use some of thief stuff since one the have disbanded and two they are no longer working on SHIII or a GWX for SH IV
Old 03-10-11, 10:19 PM   #15
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I may be old, but I'm not a boy.

Asking permissions never hurts and asking for help can yield amazing results also!

If no answer is found to posts?
Send a PM.
I for one don't read every forum or every post.
But I do try to answer every PM I get.
(When I check them)