SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-09-20, 03:50 PM   #106
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 705
Uploads: 37

Quote:
Know vickers is busy, but still holding out for an answer to the p.s. section of My original post about this subject.. about that zipped file, in the tex folder of the mod.. do I need to delete it, unzip the sucker or what.. exactly.
i think it's some test file with no more use to the mod.
vickers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-20, 03:54 PM   #107
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickers03 View Post
i think it's some test file with no more use to the mod.
So, that being the case, My thoughts on it being safe to drop kick out, are confirmed...
Old 06-19-20, 07:02 PM   #108
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Default Re: LABEL_CPT... got 'er done... failure... Ugh...

When I 1st did it, got the blasted thing edited & was viewable when I strolled the boat to My quarters... since then, that 1st edit now refuses to work & the subsequent attempts to re-edit a new 1, have failed.. am scrapping the whole thing & have reinserted the old label cpt's back in... In the mean time, have run up the white flag...

Old 06-20-20, 06:46 AM   #109
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

dds files can be a pain in the ... to say the least. I haven't tried it myself yet, but make a copy of the original dds of course, then convert it to the 'native' format of whatever program you are using and save that. Then do your edits, and save to a different name. Once you have your name the way you like and have done a final save, then convert it to dds. Make yourself a mini-mod with it, and change the file name to the proper name for the mod. Activate your mini-mod and see what happens. Any issues, use the other format of the file that is in your graphics program's 'native' format to do further editing. Don't try to fix the dds version. As to whether you use DXT1, 3, 5, etc for the dds conversion, I don't know, but I will sometimes experiment, and do a straight DXT1 (no transpanrency), and then another with the interpolated transparency (5??), and try them both... There are definitely more-qualified graphics folks who could comment.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-20, 04:07 PM   #110
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
dds files can be a pain in the ... to say the least. I haven't tried it myself yet, but make a copy of the original dds of course, then convert it to the 'native' format of whatever program you are using and save that. Then do your edits, and save to a different name. Once you have your name the way you like and have done a final save, then convert it to dds. Make yourself a mini-mod with it, and change the file name to the proper name for the mod. Activate your mini-mod and see what happens. Any issues, use the other format of the file that is in your graphics program's 'native' format to do further editing. Don't try to fix the dds version. As to whether you use DXT1, 3, 5, etc for the dds conversion, I don't know, but I will sometimes experiment, and do a straight DXT1 (no transpanrency), and then another with the interpolated transparency (5??), and try them both... There are definitely more-qualified graphics folks who could comment.
The program I've used was recommended by vickers03 called paint.net, which works with label_cpt in its native format of .dds, I went in with it made a blank copy of the item.. saved that then went with it & added a layer which was the moniker I wanted to use, which in this case was J. T. Mardigan.

End result.. no joy... instead of seeing My skippers moniker, am instead seeing a blank & I know I inserted the label I tagged with My skippers moniker.. not the blank template.

I did insert it right into the Fleetboat interiors area.. I will see of trying your suggestion of setting it up in a jsgme ready format & see if that will do the trick & report back on what I find.

Thanks propbeanie, ol' chap..

p.s.

Side note.. when I 1st achieved success, I had added in the moniker, to the main template after blanking out the previous name that was there... then editing it with My moniker & when I started up the game & checked.. it showed up great. was after the update & moving forward to v1.1 of FotRSU, that I noticed the issue cropping up. No ideas as to why though.

Any way, as stated above, will go back & try your suggestion of setting that up in a jsgme ready template format (which I do know how to do) & see if that does NOT do the trick...
Old 06-20-20, 07:55 PM   #111
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If you're adding a layer on top of the blanked original, then you might be losing that top layer with your moniker. You might have to "flatten" the image prior to saving. I do not recall what it is called in Paint.net... but your moniker is probably there, just behind the background image, which is the blank plate, of course...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 10:41 PM   #112
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
If you're adding a layer on top of the blanked original, then you might be losing that top layer with your moniker. You might have to "flatten" the image prior to saving. I do not recall what it is called in Paint.net... but your moniker is probably there, just behind the background image, which is the blank plate, of course...
Ok, went back in, with JSGME & de-activated the mod itself.. went into the drive I have the original mod at, then transferred it to the main drive into the MODS folder, overwriting the 1 there.. (Please note, I have My computer set up with a 2 drive arrangement, main being C:\ & then the 2nd tagged (for now, any way, as E:\ where I keep any & all mods for SH in whatever flavor in a highly hyper controlled format, keeping every thing arranged according to the version of SH I have, which is SH3, 4 & 5... this pertains to both main mods aka mega's & any add on/in mods to boot. Guess you could say I'm very.. analytical minded that way.. ) then set up a folder (on desktop, by the way.. again.. very methodical that way..) with the pathway Data\Textures\TNormal\tex pathway, made a fresh edited copy of the LABEL_CPT.dds exactly as I did it the very 1st time... dropped that into the \tex file into the JSGME ready folder to be added into the MODS folder & ... viola..

The nameplate with My moniker, is now showing up again.. only issue is.. that's just with the black 1.. no idea what to do to get the whatever funky brownish color 1 to get that 1 set up to use, though...

Just wondering, if it may be possible to just deep six the set of that in favor of just keeping the black label set, instead...

Thing is, if I go in & set up a career, using the Sargo or Salmon.. the weird funky brownish set up, is used instead of the black set...

Any info on that, would be greatly appreciated...

M. M.

Old 06-21-20, 11:46 PM   #113
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Thing is, if I go in & set up a career, using the Sargo or Salmon.. the weird funky brownish set up, is used instead of the black set...

Any info on that, would be greatly appreciated...
the brown labels are supposed to be brass as i've seen them used in some interiors:

BLACK LABEL: data/textures/TNormal/tex/LABEL_CPT.dds

BRASS LABEL: data/textures/TNormal/tex/LABEL_CPT2.dds

for the desk pic:
data/textures/TNormal/tex/CPT_PICTURE.dds
Old 06-22-20, 01:36 AM   #114
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
the brown labels are supposed to be brass as i've seen them used in some interiors:

BLACK LABEL: data/textures/TNormal/tex/LABEL_CPT.dds

BRASS LABEL: data/textures/TNormal/tex/LABEL_CPT2.dds

for the desk pic:
data/textures/TNormal/tex/CPT_PICTURE.dds
Ok, appreciate that info vickers03.

2 things, with using paint.net, to do the editing.. in the paint coloring.. what color to use to use to blot out the lettering in order to match up with the name plate, so as to then be able to go back with the text & then insert your skippers moniker.?

I'll try using that info to attempt to edit that LABEL_CPT2, so as to edit it.. but...

Failing that part, is it possible to just dump that set out & just keep the black set to use, instead...?
Old 06-22-20, 02:50 AM   #115
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Quote:
2 things, with using paint.net, to do the editing.. in the paint coloring.. what color to use to use to blot out the lettering in order to match up with the name plate, so as to then be able to go back with the text & then insert your skippers moniker.?
you could use the clone tool (the little stamp symbol in the toolbar)
with that you can "paint" with part of an specific area. just aim what
you want to clone, press Ctrl, click mouse and clone.

Quote:
Failing that part, is it possible to just dump that set out & just keep the black set to use, instead...?
of course you can, just delete the labels2 and copy+rename the black ones.
Old 06-22-20, 03:26 AM   #116
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
you could use the clone tool (the little stamp symbol in the toolbar)
with that you can "paint" with part of an specific area. just aim what
you want to clone, press Ctrl, click mouse and clone.

of course you can, just delete the labels2 and copy+rename the black ones.

Will see of doing that with the cloning & good to know that if I don't succeed, can copy/rename the black set to LABEL_CPT2 as a back up plan then.

Appreciate the quick reply back... Thanks.

M. M.

Old 07-11-20, 04:20 AM   #117
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: S boats...

Just curious, to know...

Are the S boats having a reworked interior, as all the other boats have, thus far.. or are they resigned to their fate of having the interior they have.?

No pressure, just as I stated above, just curious to know... thanks.

M. M.

Old 07-11-20, 02:09 PM   #118
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Just curious, to know...

Are the S boats having a reworked interior, as all the other boats have, thus far.. or are they resigned to their fate of having the interior they have.?
you mean the command room or officers quarters? the later one is in the works
Old 07-11-20, 02:16 PM   #119
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Quote:
In the Forum Download Section you have the reworked command room (only), for S boats, compatible with vanilla, TMO and RFB. TMO 25 includes it.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-20, 06:26 PM   #120
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Answer to vickers03's query...

Quote:
Yeah, that was what was meant. The officers quarters.