SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-08-21, 08:39 PM   #1
AviatorMan
Watch

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0
Default Seeking some guidance on mods after a long time away

So I'm returning to SHIV after something like nearly 8+ years away and I'm a little lost on the mod situation. In the past I'd run TMO + RSRD and a few other mods piled on top, this time however, when I went to start downloading things again, I noticed that the lower version of TMO (~1.7 uploaded in 2016) was much newer than the higher version (2.5 uploaded in 2011), so I'm stuck wondering which is the correct one to download.

In addition to this, I'm curious if anything newer / better has been released since I last played, or if TMO+RSRD is still probably going to be my best bet for a fun modlist? Finally, if anyone has any additional guidance on mods for the game that might be helpful, I'd love to hear it as I'd really like to get on to playing ASAP.

Thanks
AviatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-21, 09:16 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorMan View Post
So I'm returning to SHIV after something like nearly 8+ years away and I'm a little lost on the mod situation. In the past I'd run TMO + RSRD and a few other mods piled on top, this time however, when I went to start downloading things again, I noticed that the lower version of TMO (~1.7 uploaded in 2016) was much newer than the higher version (2.5 uploaded in 2011), so I'm stuck wondering which is the correct one to download.

In addition to this, I'm curious if anything newer / better has been released since I last played, or if TMO+RSRD is still probably going to be my best bet for a fun modlist? Finally, if anyone has any additional guidance on mods for the game that might be helpful, I'd love to hear it as I'd really like to get on to playing ASAP.

Thanks
welcome back, AviatorMan (interesting name for a sub driver lol)

use TMO 2.5.
Here is my TMO+RSRD config. this was easier than trying to retype it.
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\TMO_2_5\MODS]

100 TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
101 1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
102 1.5_OTC for 16 to 9 Aspect Ratio_TMO
104 EZ Plot V2.0
300 RSRD ver 5 for TMO
301 RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
400 Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-21, 11:37 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

AviatorMan!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-21, 12:50 AM   #4
AviatorMan
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
welcome back, AviatorMan (interesting name for a sub driver lol)

use TMO 2.5.
Here is my TMO+RSRD config. this was easier than trying to retype it.
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\TMO_2_5\MODS]

100 TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
101 1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
102 1.5_OTC for 16 to 9 Aspect Ratio_TMO
104 EZ Plot V2.0
300 RSRD ver 5 for TMO
301 RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
400 Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton

Ahh yes, that comes from my overarching passion for all things flight

Thank you though for the quick response. What are the numbers to the right of your modlist though? Its been a long time, but I can't remember that being a thing in JGSME?
Old 05-09-21, 12:25 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
What are the numbers to the right of your modlist though? Its been a long time, but I can't remember that being a thing in JGSME?
if you are referring to v2.6.0.157, that would be the version of JGSME.
if you are referring to 100,101,et al those are my attempt to form an orderly line of mods that i am using for this mod-set.
if you mean anything else then i missed it.

LAA enabled
Old 05-09-21, 01:10 PM   #6
AviatorMan
Watch

Quote:
if you are referring to 100,101,et al those are my attempt to form an orderly line of mods that i am using for this mod-set.

This is what I meant and thanks for clearing that up, was worried I was missing something there.

Old 05-09-21, 02:48 PM   #7
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Welcome Back

A lot of exciting things going on with SH 4 mods. Mods wise, you can never go wrong with TMO 2.5 and RSRD, but both have not beem updated for some time since their creators are no longer active. I'd say check out FOTRS, it's amazing and would say it is the new standard in SH 4. I think if are accustomed to difficulty, AI may seem a little easy compared to TMO but an excellent, immersive mod with a great team. Loved RSRD but it nerfed the TMO AI to a large degree.

I am currently working on a major overhaul of TMO, nearly complete, anticipate released sometime next month if all goes well. Added hundred or so ships if not more, revamped the traffic layers, added major and minor battles (a lot like RSRD), working on adding AI torpedo firing submarines and ships, have darker nights so realistic night surface attacks are possible (see darker nights mod in downloads and check out recent patrol logs sticky) updated things in many aspects, good old TMO was in dire need of a facelift.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-21, 03:39 PM   #8
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Welcome Back

A lot of exciting things going on with SH 4 mods. Mods wise, you can never go wrong with TMO 2.5 and RSRD, but both have not beem updated for some time since their creators are no longer active. I'd say check out FOTRS, it's amazing and would say it is the new standard in SH 4. I think if are accustomed to difficulty, AI may seem a little easy compared to TMO but an excellent, immersive mod with a great team. Loved RSRD but it nerfed the TMO AI to a large degree.

I am currently working on a major overhaul of TMO, nearly complete, anticipate released sometime next month if all goes well. Added hundred or so ships if not more, revamped the traffic layers, added major and minor battles (a lot like RSRD), working on adding AI torpedo firing submarines and ships, have darker nights so realistic night surface attacks are possible (see darker nights mod in downloads and check out recent patrol logs sticky) updated things in many aspects, good old TMO was in dire need of a facelift.
i would be interested in being involved with the user acceptance test phase, if you think you need that.

LAA enabled
Old 05-09-21, 06:38 PM   #9
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
i would be interested in being involved with the user acceptance test phase, if you think you need that.

Absolutely, I've been testing, in October 1944 now. Aside from testing, working on putting everyone into one download instead of multiple separate mods. I'll PM you later this evening or tomorrow.
Old 05-11-21, 01:02 AM   #10
AviatorMan
Watch

Quote:
Welcome Back

Hmm, interesting, would to recommend FOTRS over TMO at this point? Also, if you're working on an update of TMO, would it make more sense to wait for that to release than to start up the old version of TMO and then feel a need to update it in a month anyway?
Old 05-11-21, 08:24 AM   #11
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Hmm, interesting, would to recommend FOTRS over TMO at this point? Also, if you're working on an update of TMO, would it make more sense to wait for that to release than to start up the old version of TMO and then feel a need to update it in a month anyway?
jumping back in here.........
if you are returning from several years of absence, i would recommend starting with GFO (game fixes only). this is the Stock 1.5 GOLD with some fixes.
try to play a career of several missions, get killed, come back to life, get your sea legs back.
then try TMO 2.5 or RSRD or both together or play FOTRSU.
that is what i would suggest.
whatever you decide, good luck.

LAA enabled
Old 05-11-21, 03:19 PM   #12
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:

Well, it depends. You are used to TMO RSRD so perhaps get familiarized once again but would absolutely advise giving FOTRS a go as well, excellent mod and only getting better with time. My release of TMO update next month is tentative as completing testing and getting everything together into a working bug free package is quite a task but I can see being released by the end of June. I want to release and be mostly done with modding for a while until something big comes a long i.e. the officers quarters and other compartments are available. At minimum I may release the core of the upgrade, which are updated campaign traffic files and the ship packs required.

TMO 2.5 is the latest version of TMO, I believe 1.7 has a later date believe because it was loaded up by another member for those who wanted older version if I recall (could be wrong) , but 2.5 is the latest version of TMO.
Old 05-11-21, 04:16 PM   #13
AviatorMan
Watch

Quote:
jumping back in here.........
if you are returning from several years of absence, i would recommend starting with GFO (game fixes only). this is the Stock 1.5 GOLD with some fixes.
try to play a career of several missions, get killed, come back to life, get your sea legs back.
then try TMO 2.5 or RSRD or both together or play FOTRSU.
that is what i would suggest.
whatever you decide, good luck.

I can say with a high degree of certainty that I won't want to play the vanilla version of the game. Its been a while, true, but even when I first got the game I think I only played about an hour with vanilla before I decided it wasn't for me and started piling realism mods on...

That said, it sounds like FOTRS is somewhere on the spectrum between vanilla and TMO, but closer to TMO, so I might try that one out.

Quote:
Well, it depends. You are used to TMO RSRD so perhaps get familiarized once again but would absolutely advise giving FOTRS a go as well, excellent mod and only getting better with time. My release of TMO update next month is tentative as completing testing and getting everything together into a working bug free package is quite a task but I can see being released by the end of June. I want to release and be mostly done with modding for a while until something big comes a long i.e. the officers quarters and other compartments are available. At minimum I may release the core of the upgrade, which are updated campaign traffic files and the ship packs required.

TMO 2.5 is the latest version of TMO, I believe 1.7 has a later date believe because it was loaded up by another member for those who wanted older version if I recall (could be wrong) , but 2.5 is the latest version of TMO.

As I said in the reply above, it sounds like FOTRS is somewhere between vanilla and TMO in realism, but closer to TMO, is this a valid assessment? If so, I might jump for that until your version of TMO is available. On a different note, are people actually developing things like the officers quarters / other compartments like you mentioned? Seems like the game would be in at best a maintenance state at this point, things getting updated like you're doing, but not really adding anything new...
Old 05-11-21, 04:35 PM   #14
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
I can say with a high degree of certainty that I won't want to play the vanilla version of the game. Its been a while, true, but even when I first got the game I think I only played about an hour with vanilla before I decided it wasn't for me and started piling realism mods on...

That said, it sounds like FOTRS is somewhere on the spectrum between vanilla and TMO, but closer to TMO, so I might try that one out.

As I said in the reply above, it sounds like FOTRS is somewhere between vanilla and TMO in realism, but closer to TMO, is this a valid assessment? If so, I might jump for that until your version of TMO is available. On a different note, are people actually developing things like the officers quarters / other compartments like you mentioned? Seems like the game would be in at best a maintenance state at this point, things getting updated like you're doing, but not really adding anything new...

Yes, Vickers has done a wonderful job creating officers quarters and torpedo rooms, other compartments for the boats , currently for FOTRS There are TMO versions in the work from what I understand.

A lot of new ships, features added. Things SH 4 community once dreamed of...AI vessels firing torpedoes, AI submarines etc.

I was away from subsim for a while until the pandemic last year, which prompted me to start work on TMO upgrade. I was impressed by all the new developments.
Old 05-12-21, 01:28 AM   #15
AviatorMan
Watch

Quote:
Yes, Vickers has done a wonderful job creating officers quarters and torpedo rooms, other compartments for the boats , currently for FOTRS There are TMO versions in the work from what I understand.

A lot of new ships, features added. Things SH 4 community once dreamed of...AI vessels firing torpedoes, AI submarines etc.

I was away from subsim for a while until the pandemic last year, which prompted me to start work on TMO upgrade. I was impressed by all the new developments.

I guess now I'm kind of confused, is FOTRS not its own overhaul in the same way TMO and RFB are? At least that's what it seemed like on my initial reading of the FOTRS information...