SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-28-16, 07:00 AM   #46
Al Lowe
Bosun

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

My desktop turned out to have numerous corrupted files that had to be replaced. This was indicated by problems I was having elsewhere on it. Once I got that straightened out, SH4 started working properly again.

So far, it's working fine on my laptop as well. Both computers are running Windows 10.
Current System:
MSI 760GM-E51 mainboard with
AMD FX-8350 8 core processor running at 4.2 GHZ
16GB of DDR3 RAM @ 800 MHZ
AMD Radeon R9 285 GPU w 2GB of GDDR5 RAM @ 1375mhz
Acer V223W Monitor
Al Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 07:44 AM   #47
cr2016sh
Seaman

Downloads: 133
Icon7 SH-4 Y Windows 10 Instalacion SOLUCIONADO

Para windows 10 Yo tube el mismo problema y mi solucion fue.Archivos de Juego: Carpeta SH-4 . exe+ Clik secundario- Propiedades+ Clip Compativilidad+ Ejecutar en modo compatibilidad para todos los usuarios (haran falta permisos de administrador) Windows XP ( Service pak 3 ) Yo tengo monitor asi que hay que activar el Desabilitar el ajuste de escala de pantalla si se utiliza la configuracion elevada de ppp. Esa es la unica manera de que me funcione desde que instale Windows 10. Por esa tonteria durante 6 meses no pude jugar. Espero que le ayude a alguien.

Last edited by cr2016sh; 09-04-16 at 09:53 AM.
cr2016sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-16, 02:04 AM   #48
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

Has somebody experience to run UBM add-on at W10?
SH4 works fine, but after installing UBM there is a problem to start the game.

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 08:23 AM   #49
jimbob
Ensign

Downloads: 365
Uploads: 6

I've got new PC after x-mas.
i7 6700K, 16GB ram, GTX 1080 with
Acer Predator XB1 32¨monitor, 4k and G-Sync.
OS is Windows - 10 Pro because I need to run DAWs. Reaper and Cubase etc.

Now, I can install from CD and run SH4 just fine, allthought its v 1.0.

However, I can not patch to 1.4 or install the Uboot addon CD that
would patch it to 1.5.

I've tried all the compatibility options.
Installed directX 9 too...

Any tips?
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 10:48 AM   #50
Captain Dave
Officer

Downloads: 398
Uploads: 3

With Win 10 you have to install SH4 in a folder other than Program Files or Program Files(x86). This will let you overwrite and tweak SH4 to your hearts content. I have a folder with my name in the USERS folder. There I have SH4, mods, pics, and other personal stuff.

Hope this gets you going.
Old 01-15-17, 11:28 AM   #51
jimbob
Ensign

Downloads: 365
Uploads: 6

Since windows Vista, I've never installed programs on C: drive.

Had a go installing SH3 and only got error 1628, won't install.

:/

I need to find my SH5 disk next..
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-17, 09:50 AM   #52
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Default Torpedo Realism?

Howdy, I have been running SH4 for several months just getting used to the commands, etc. One thing I have noticed is torpedos not doing as much damage as I thought they were capable of. For instance, I thought 1 torp would sink a Destroyer of the Fletcher class size. But in SH4 it can take 2 or more to sink a Jap destroyer when I am in a Narmal or Gato class US Sub.
Was I being too optimistic in my view of torpedo capability? (Yes I know I am not shooting Fletcher class ships) ;-)
Thx

l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-17, 12:31 PM   #53
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by l02turner View Post
Howdy, I have been running SH4 for several months just getting used to the commands, etc. One thing I have noticed is torpedos not doing as much damage as I thought they were capable of. For instance, I thought 1 torp would sink a Destroyer of the Fletcher class size. But in SH4 it can take 2 or more to sink a Jap destroyer when I am in a Narmal or Gato class US Sub.
Was I being too optimistic in my view of torpedo capability? (Yes I know I am not shooting Fletcher class ships) ;-)
Thx

That's not a Windows 10 issue at all. For some reason when Ubi was setting up the zones for a destroyer, they put a nearly indestructable nose on them. In real life a down the throat shot hitting the nose was the end of the destroyer. In the game you get a magnificent explosion and water spray, then the DD charges out of the spray at full speed toward you. It's very bad for your heart.....
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 08:42 AM   #54
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

For those that are using this thread and still having questions, please take a look at this thread.......[TEC] Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install. This thread is over on the SH4 Fleet Boat Mods Workshop. I don't wish to highjack this thread, but as I've read through it I couldn't help in feeling there's things a Windows 10 user should still do to make his system preform as well as it should. With my system, Windows 10 was a brand new install....not an upgrade from a previous OS (between Windows 7 to 8.1). This install has quirks, yet without extra Properties page tweaking the game runs flawlessly. It should not make a difference how you upgraded to Windows 10, but there are things you need to know when you do.

Large Address Aware is a large part of it, so is knowing what to do with .NetFramework, and the DirectX 12 that's on the OS.

Just thought I'd bring it up.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-17, 09:03 AM   #55
wally007
Nub

Downloads: 0
Default Windows 10 / Surface 4 / Wont start

hello all. still trying to get this to work on my surface. if anyone has any advice

tried so far

downloaded the gold edition through the subsim link to give them some props
installed in default directory, without the x86 program files directory, in my user directory
run as administrator
no scaling high dpi setting
16 bit color
compatibility as win xp, then 7, then vista
main cfg file tried "No" to full screen, No to everything
changed my screen res to 1024x768

all have same result, game does not even seem to attempt a launch. torpedo is not even running hot in the tube.

please any help, all help is appreciated. if someone got this working on their surface pro, lets trade surface pros!

thank you in advance
wally007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-17, 09:38 AM   #56
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Someone in the FotRSU thread has it going... But I don't remember which tablet or OS exactly. It's been several weeks since they mentioned their hardware...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-17, 08:13 AM   #57
leongt
Swabbie

Downloads: 50

I have SH4 working great with Win 10 64-bit with not having to set the exe to Win xp compatibility mode and that includes the Titan mod but it's the gold edition.
leongt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 11:14 PM   #58
Stefos
Nub

Downloads: 2
Default What a mess! Sever help needed for Win10 & SH 4

Hi everyone,

I've been gone from this forum for years and am now back.

I recently bought a new PC with Win10 & have a 1080 Nvidia card.

I installed SH just fine but now it won't even open in a truncated 1024 X 768 window!

I did a regedit and check to find all SH 4 registries and found none.
I even cleared the Prefetch files that obviously state "silent hunter" in them.

I feel as though I'm going to have to buy this game via Ubisoft download but don't want to as it's $30 for the SH 4 Gold edition.

Can anyone assist me please?

I have both the U.S. & U.K. versions of this game and I need to get the 1.4 patch for the U.S. version only.

Much obliged and thank you!
Stefos
Stefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 07:42 AM   #59
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

A few options:

http://www.patches-scrolls.com/silent_hunter4.php

https://www.fileplanet.com/175733/17...fic-v1.4-Patch

https://www.gamewatcher.com/games/si...ific/downloads

Welcome to SubSim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 08:08 AM   #60
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Welcome to SubSim Stefos! The 'modern' Windows OS is very 'jealous' of certain areas of its hard drive. Do NOT install SH4 into a 'protected' area such as Program Files (x86), which is the default location in the game's installer. You can refer to CapnScurvy's Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install, where he discusses his Windows 10 install and update, Silent Hunter 4 install, and the use of LAA. You could probably drop down a couple of clicks in the page scroll gutter, down below where his picture of the Windows Settings page is, and start reading from about where he says:

"Two things need to be stressed before installing the game.

First, allow Windows 10 to update Automatically to get the latest updated files.

Secondly, keep your Silent Hunter game install out of either the "Program Files", "Program Files (x86)", or the "ProgramData" folders. The reason is to avoid the handicap Windows uses on us when a program/game is defaulted to install in one of these folders. Windows won't let you change the properties of the program/games loaded in these folders because it thinks you'll screw something up. Or, it tries to prevent computer corruption if these programs are changed in some way. If your planning to add content to your game (like a modification through JSGME, or JSGME itself, or a memory helper like LAA).....you're changing your original game files. Believe me, this old game didn't expect to be treated like a "problem waiting to happen" by the OS......so don't install it in these folders. You'll not need to change the game files to "Run as Administrator", or any other setting, if you just install it as follows. Newer programs/games that are designed to work with Windows 10 are fine to be installed in these folders.....but not older ones.
"

Once you have the game installed elsewhere, you should be able to run it OK, but you definitely need to get the install to at least the v1.4 update. There are a few (just a few) updates available for v1.4, and most mods out there are for v1.5 Uboats. But, there is still at least one regular member on here who still uses his v1.4 regularly...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote