SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-25-21, 02:10 PM   #1
CPT_KABoooM
Nub

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Game crashes on torpedo impact HELP!

So i had my computer running SH4 for a day and as I am a new player I decided to bump up the difficulty by trying manual targeting. However after watching a tutorial for the Dick O'Kane method (posted by Rockingrobbins13) I stumbled upon this problem that my game crashed when my torpedos hit. Something strange about it beacause it only happens when I try to hit ships in my campaign and theres no problem in the tutorial (that i used as testing ground). Maybe it has something to do with the night time

I downloaded the game from steam and i play on a Lenovo laptop with intel drive. I tried reinstalling but did not work

Really looking forward to get sailing again so please help
CPT_KABoooM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-21, 02:39 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT_KABoooM View Post
So i had my computer running SH4 for a day and as I am a new player I decided to bump up the difficulty by trying manual targeting. However after watching a tutorial for the Dick O'Kane method (posted by Rockingrobbins13) I stumbled upon this problem that my game crashed when my torpedos hit. Something strange about it beacause it only happens when I try to hit ships in my campaign and theres no problem in the tutorial (that i used as testing ground). Maybe it has something to do with the night time

I downloaded the game from steam and i play on a Lenovo laptop with intel drive. I tried reinstalling but did not work

Really looking forward to get sailing again so please help
yes, i have had that happen, also.
couple of questions to help us give a more exact solution:
  • what is your playing config? which version of SH4 and which mods are you using? the best response is from JGSME-Tasks-Export to Clipboard and paste it here.
  • have you deployed Large Address Aware or a similar 4GB utility? you need to do that no matter which version of SH4 you are playing.
  • since you are just starting, delete your SH4 Savefolder structure: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\SH4\data. SH4 will rebuild it the next time you start a career.

welcome aboard!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-21, 02:53 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

CPT_KABoooM!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-21, 04:46 PM   #4
CPT_KABoooM
Nub

bullhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
yes, i have had that happen, also.
couple of questions to help us give a more exact solution:
  • what is your playing config? which version of SH4 and which mods are you using? the best response is from JGSME-Tasks-Export to Clipboard and paste it here.
  • have you deployed Large Address Aware or a similar 4GB utility? you need to do that no matter which version of SH4 you are playing.
  • since you are just starting, delete your SH4 Savefolder structure: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\SH4\data. SH4 will rebuild it the next time you start a career.

welcome aboard!

1. My config is a Lenovo t470s laptop running Windows 10 with IntelCore i5 7th gen with 8gb RAM and a Intel HD Graphic 620 card. I am using 100% vanilla from steam which is v 1.3

2. Haven´t deployed any of these steps and would be nice if you could link to someone explaining it

3. NOTE: I am on my third patrol and this problem had not occured earlier. Came when i started my third patrol in the same campaign.

Thx for the welcome!
Old 04-25-21, 05:43 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
1. My config is a Lenovo t470s laptop running Windows 10 with IntelCore i5 7th gen with 8gb RAM and a Intel HD Graphic 620 card. I am using 100% vanilla from steam which is v 1.3

2. Haven´t deployed any of these steps and would be nice if you could link to someone explaining it

3. NOTE: I am on my third patrol and this problem had not occured earlier. Came when i started my third patrol in the same campaign.

Thx for the welcome!
Ahoy, CPT_KABoooM...

Ok, understand you are rolling with SH4, in plain jane stock mode. Which is cool.. your choice & can respect that.

There is a v1.5 of SH4, in case you are NOT aware of that. Can be found there on Steam or through Ubisoft. Same name as what you have, with + Uboat Missions tacked on to the end of that...

1 question, that comes to mind, not only where SH4 is set up at, as a Steam user I know on that score.. but more to the point, where do you have Steam & it's gaming library, installed, precisely.

Am hoping you don't say in either:

C:\Program files

or

C:\Program files (x86)

As either of these locations (which I know most if not just about all things installed nowadays, auto defaults to either location, off the rip... ) will run afoul of Windows default program of UAC or User Account Control, if I recall that right.

What that means is, if you attempt to make any changes to any program or its files, Win 10.. ain't gonna like you for it.. & will revert anything you do, back to basic stock settings... with extreme prejudice. With a quickness.

Which will leave you feeling like:

or or

to say the least.

Knowing just where things are installed, will help.

M. M.

Old 04-25-21, 06:32 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I am using 100% vanilla from steam which is v 1.3

main link. get into the habit of coming to this link when you run into an issue and before you post.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=219029

Large address aware (aka LAA) (highly recommend that you implement this ASAP. it eliminates many CTD's)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...3&postcount=13

JSGME - this will allow you to apply mod-sets...and allow you to report your config when you run into difficulties.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4333

Quote:
3. NOTE: I am on my third patrol and this problem had not occurred earlier. Came when i started my third patrol in the same campaign.

could be a lack-of-available-memory issue. trying rebooting.

LAA enabled
Old 04-25-21, 10:14 PM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Another thing to remember about the game, is that it does not do very well at "house-keeping", as far as game resources go. So if you did a Submarine School mission, and then went into a Career without having shut down the game and then re-started it, then the game may have "corrupted" itself - or rather, it's Windows memory assignments... Think of each menu item, other than "Options", as a separate game "mode" that is separate from the other "modes"...but even a change in certain of the Options choices requires a game re-start to be set...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-21, 07:23 AM   #8
CPT_KABoooM
Nub

I changed the file for steam, erased all silent hunter files (including in the documents) and downloaded v 1.5. Then I got the LAA and downloaded Websters big modpack. Everything seems to run perfectly but we'll see

PS. Thanks alot for the warm welcome and quick and good tips
Old 04-26-21, 10:37 AM   #9
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I changed the file for steam, erased all silent hunter files (including in the documents) and downloaded v 1.5. Then I got the LAA and downloaded Websters big modpack. Everything seems to run perfectly but we'll see

PS. Thanks alot for the warm welcome and quick and good tips
sounds great.

as you play, keep in mind that SH4 uses a lot of memory and in chunks that only it tracks and under the 4GB limit. through normal usage, your PC may be able to give SH4 only fragmented memory, then that is what it gets, and SH4 may not like it. that's when you will get CTD's.

for example, i was out on career-patrol, fired several torpedoes from the bow tubes. hits all around. swung around and brought my stern tubes to bear. lined up a shot, fired, a hit, then CTD. WTF?!?! re-booted and no problem. exasperating? definitely.

LAA enabled

Tags
crash, hardware, problem, software, technical