Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 03-05-10, 01:16 PM   #1
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default That SAM simulator

I sent the guy an e-mail about why you can't scale the resolution.

Long and the short of it is he says he can't be bothered. He said when he started teh sim 6 years ago he had aCRT which could do 1280x1024 but LCDs have changed that.

Basically said maybe I should just go buy an bigger LCD monitor as that seems quite feasible.

Well thanks for nothing. I know it is a self made sim but I still think his attitude stinks.
Old 03-06-10, 08:50 PM   #2
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus View Post
Well thanks for nothing. I know it is a self made sim but I still think his attitude stinks.
His attitude doesn't matter IMO.

He is doing something that he enjoys, he can do it however works best for him. He is not providing a product, and certainly not a paid product. He is making available something he worked on as a hobby to other people.

So suck it up and change your resolution when you play it. It doesn't bother me at all. Or you can just take the money you didn't spend and go buy some other high quality SAM simulation.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but it perplexes me when people complain about free software released by somebody who wrote it as a hobby. Writing software as detailed and accurate as what we are discussing with a "dev team" of one is incomprehensibly difficult if you have never written a piece of software. We are lucky to have it, and for free at that.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 08:57 PM   #3
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

No that's not the point.

My monitor can't do the resolution required and I can't afford to go out and buy one.

I'm just paraphrasing the e-mail, making a free product or not teh way he came across when I asked in a decent and thankful way I thought was a bit rich.

It wasn't so much what he wrote but how he wrote it.
Old 04-14-10, 12:02 PM   #4
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
My monitor can't do the resolution required and I can't afford to go out and buy one.
My monitor is a 1280x800. I've finally found the switch in Control Panel -> Display which allows for resolutions not supported by the monitor and selected 1280x1024. So I have to scroll up and down a bit but not very much since most of the time the important stuff fits in 800px.

The real pain of the interface, if anything, is in the way the elevation, azimuth and distance have to be dragged around for adjustment - the interface just isn't very smooth or predictable and I'm sure that the wheels they used in the real thing would be more consistent and precise. The guy would be better off just drawing out the wheels, letting us click it and then use keyboard arrow commands rather than that dragging interface.
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-10, 12:43 AM   #5
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
I sent the guy an e-mail about why you can't scale the resolution.

Long and the short of it is he says he can't be bothered. He said when he started teh sim 6 years ago he had aCRT which could do 1280x1024 but LCDs have changed that.

Basically said maybe I should just go buy an bigger LCD monitor as that seems quite feasible.

Here's what he has to say about the whole res-change issue:
Quote:
I simply cannot fix it, as the programming language, Visual Basic 6.0 is not capable of screen resolution change.
(Even I cannot play my game in my new notebook...)

I could change the resolution checking at the beginning of the game, to allow it to be started at different resolution...
... but than half of the panel might be missing.
Should I do it?
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 05:47 PM   #6
Ubergeek87
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 15

Psst...

Quote:
v0.922 (06.24.2011) Current Version
Include NASA digital terrain model (90m horizontal resolution), to simulate realistic earth clutter
Expanded documentation.
Add the possibility to select between more missile types for a system.
These missiles will fly within 1% of real firing range data.
V-755 20DSU and V-759 5Ya23 for the Volhov.
V-601P 5V27U and V-601PD 5V27D for the Neva.
Will support any Monitor resolution at or above 1280x1024.

Ubergeek87 is offline   Reply With Quote