SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-14-18, 12:47 PM   #1
cobalt_ST
Swabbie

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0
Default Blank radio messages from BdU

So I originally posted this on Steam but someone decided it would be a good idea to derail the topic completely. Anyways...

I used to play SH3 with just GWX(among other mods) and every time I send a contact/status report BdU replies with same old boring messages. Then I heard about h.sie's patch and what it does and decided I must get it. At first it didn't work cause my game had already had the 4GB patch installed, so I completely reinstalled the game, installed h.sie's patch properly and then applied the 4GB patch.

So I hoped that BdU would respond to my reports with a little more variety, but now they just send blank messages to both contact and status reports.
Does anybody know what might be causing this issue and if so how to fix it?

Here's my mod list if it that helps at all:

GWX - 16km atmosphere
GWX - Enhanced damage effects
GWX - Late war Sensors Snorkel Antennas
GWX - No medals on crew
GWX - VIIC41 Player sub
Das Boot clothes
MFM-Improved
LifeBoats&Debris_v4
TorpedoSolutionButton for MaGui F
Bad Weather Fix v1.1 (FORTE)
MaGui F
German Images for MaGui F
Thomsen's Sound Pack v3.2cg
Ultimate Aircraft Soundmod
Aces_Multimod_compatibility_fix_release_v1.3
cobalt_ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-18, 01:18 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

cobalt_ST!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-18, 01:23 PM   #3
cobalt_ST
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
cobalt_ST!
Thanks, but can you help me with this issue?
Old 07-14-18, 08:12 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Does your game shortcut have 'Run as Admin' ? This could be the cause. With Win10 maybe also activate 'deactivate scaling on high DPI values'. Let us know when it helps!

Welcome to Subsim,
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 03:46 PM   #5
cobalt_ST
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Does your game shortcut have 'Run as Admin' ? This could be the cause. With Win10 maybe also activate 'deactivate scaling on high DPI values'. Let us know when it helps!

Welcome to Subsim,
I have it running with compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Run as Administrator. Should I disable Run as Administrator?

EDIT: I tried it, didn't do anything. Still getting blank replies.

Last edited by cobalt_ST; 07-15-18 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-15-18, 03:49 PM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt_ST View Post
I have it running with compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Run as Administrator. Should I disable Run as Administrator?

Why changing a running machine...I wish you good hunting!
Old 07-15-18, 04:49 PM   #7
cobalt_ST
Swabbie

Quote:
Why changing a running machine...I wish you good hunting!
Because you gotta do that with Win10 when running older games.
Old 07-15-18, 05:16 PM   #8
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

So you are still not running? Sorry, I thought you were by reading your last post.

[Edit]
You are using mods not relating to GWX, have you tried to remove them to see if it fixes your problem?
You should use a widescreen mod (if you have a 16:9 monitor) like Conus or ARB, they include the necessary fonts.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-15-18 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-15-18, 06:53 PM   #9
cobalt_ST
Swabbie

Quote:
So you are still not running? Sorry, I thought you were by reading your last post.

[Edit]
You are using mods not relating to GWX, have you tried to remove them to see if it fixes your problem?
You should use a widescreen mod (if you have a 16:9 monitor) like Conus or ARB, they include the necessary fonts.

Yes, none of the mods I'm using conflict with eachother, some just overwrite sound files of other mods.
(Specifically UltimateAircraftSoundmod overwrites aircraft engine sounds from Thomsen's SoundPack)

And I am using a widescreen mod, works fine.
Old 07-15-18, 08:26 PM   #10
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

Hi cobalt_ST,

It sounds to me like something might have gone wrong during the setting up of the h.sie fixes, namely the part of adding the new messages. I would advise doing that part of the procedure again with very careful adherence to the h.sie documentation (section 3.1 - Adding the new messages).

Make sure that your en_menu.txt in SilentHunterIII/data/menu contains the new h.sie content found in Append_to_en_menu.txt.

I see that your mod list doesn't contain the Supplement to V16B1 folder. It should if I'm correct in assuming you're running the latest version at least: Realism and gameplay-related hardcode fixes for SH3.EXE - Patch Version V16B1.

I also see you have a mod called Bad Weather Fix v1.1 (FORTE). The h.sie mod also includes a bad weather fix so you may find some conflict here if you choose to enable it with the options selector.

Sorry if my post is a bit confusing. But just to conclude, I would advise reading the h.sie documentation very carefully and to ensure that nothing has been missed out. It's one of the more difficult things to set up but well worth it in the end. Good luck!
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 08:32 PM   #11
cobalt_ST
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stork100 View Post
Hi cobalt_ST,

It sounds to me like something might have gone wrong during the setting up of the h.sie fixes, namely the part of adding the new messages. I would advise doing that part of the procedure again with very careful adherence to the h.sie documentation (section 3.1 - Adding the new messages).

Make sure that your en_menu.txt in SilentHunterIII/data/menu contains the new h.sie content found in Append_to_en_menu.txt.

I see that your mod list doesn't contain the Supplement to V16B1 folder. It should if I'm correct in assuming you're running the latest version at least: Realism and gameplay-related hardcode fixes for SH3.EXE - Patch Version V16B1.

I also see you have a mod called Bad Weather Fix v1.1 (FORTE). The h.sie mod also includes a bad weather fix so you may find some conflict here if you choose to enable it with the options selector.

Sorry if my post is a bit confusing. But just to conclude, I would advise reading the h.sie documentation very carefully and to ensure that nothing has been missed out. It's one of the more difficult things to set up but well worth it in the end. Good luck!
Ah ok, so I need to check the en_menu.txt file and install the Supplement to V16B (didnt realize it has to be done manually)

Also, yes I know h.sie's patch has a bad weather fix, so I disabled that feature in the little options selector, haven't had any issues regarding weather, the other mod works.

Thanks for the reply, pretty sure it'll work when I do the things u said.
Old 07-16-18, 09:26 AM   #12
CTU_Clay
The Lone Wolf

Downloads: 312
Icon14 cobalt_ST

Welcome to SubSim cobalt_ST!

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here in SubSim that are always eager to provide help with our favorite version of Silent Hunter. I am sure they will guide you with help, or to help.

-clay

“Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.” .
CTU_Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-18, 12:50 PM   #13
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Sometimes games need the same 'Regional Settings' in Windows > System + the same keyboard language than the game in order to make fonts appear correctly. I don't know how this applies to SH3. If different, try settings for US,GB or Germany (the one that fits your install language). Also try launching game with Vsynch disabled (this should btw get rid of grafical artefacts at horizon).
Old 07-18-18, 10:06 AM   #14
cobalt_ST
Swabbie

Thanks for the help guys, highly appreciated!

Tags
help with mod, patch